Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] S3 Standby / Power button won't turn off the screen + I goof'd up boot animation

OP SunSpree

21st May 2014, 04:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
So guys, I managed to screw up my phone, and even a complete factory reset won't fix this problem (altho it did wipe 5 weeks of Clash progress that I forgot to use G+ to back up :'( )

1) When I went to change my boot animation, I followed an awful guide somewhere on this forum and wound up replacing the samsungloop.qmg . Not only did that not work, but now I can't restore it! So now when I turn on my phone, I get the standard samsung logo, and then 3 - 5 seconds of a black screen w/ no animation! How can I reverse this, or at least install a replacement boot animation?

2) Possibly related to the above problem, but suddenly I can't use the button on the side (power button) to turn off the screen, and this is bugging me for obvious reasons. Can I turn on the screen after it goes off? Yes. Can I bring the shutdown/restart/airplane mode menu? Yes. But can I turn the bloody screen off? No, and this is driving me nuts atm. Someone do help me with this incredibly urgent problem!
21st May 2014, 07:52 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 746

3,396 posts
Use odin to flash a stock firmware, then factory reset.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st May 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Thanks guys! After a while, I found a stock rom for my particular model, and now it works perfect once again Thanks!
22nd July 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #5  
Flag Halifax, NS

5 posts
I had this same problem on my T999V after attempting to flash a custom boot animation. I didn't mind that the boot animation was gone but my screen wouldn't time out or turn off with the power button. Luckily I had a TWRP backup from about 3 days ago. So I did a current backup, restored to my '3 days ago' backup. And then restored just the 'data' from the current backup. Problem solved and I didn't lose any of my current data.

Lesson is... ALWAYS do a backup! I've been burned before too, thinking 'what could go wrong?'

---------------------------------------------
Eastlink Samsung Galaxy S3 T999V
Stock 4.4.2 - rooted with towelroot
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread