Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

S3 suddenly wont turn on, bottom lights and charging led work

OP adamscybot

16th May 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Hi All,

I was out a couple of days back and my battery died. No trouble, come back home and charge it up. Worth noting that in recent months battery performance has been poor with a full charge only lasting about 8hours or so. I put this down to a new ROM I flashed as well as natural deterioration (18 month old S3).

Plug into the wall, red charging LED comes on, but the battery splash screen does not. Tried another charger...same. Thinking nothing of it I go to bed and wake up next morning to be greeted by a green charging LED. However, still no battery splash screen. I try to boot...it doesn't. When I "power on" the bottom LED buttons do light up white and go off after a few seconds. When I press the hold button again, they also come on for a few seconds. If i press the hold button while the button LEDs are on, they go off.

This makes me think the screen has broken as both the hold button and the charging LED is doing what it would do...but without any screen activity. However, it was not dropped or put under any pressure in any way. I have opened it up and also made sure the ribbon is undamaged and connected properly. I have tried calling the phone to no avail. It also does not vibrate or make any noises. Perhaps the battery doesn't have enough juice? Its as if its on the battery splash screen, I just cant see it.

I should mention the screen is infact cracked from an incident about 6-8 months ago. It was however, fully functional. Presumably, this will unfortunately stop me from sending it in. It was also using a flashed rom (CM11) and a flashed kernal (Boeffla).

I used a multimeter and measured 3.96v across the battery so that's fine. I can't test the current as I cant break into the S3 circuit and I dont have a resistor on hand to put some load on it.

Next steps?
16th May 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
210 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamscybot

Hi All,

I was out a couple of days back and my battery died. No trouble, come back home and charge it up. Worth noting that in recent months battery performance has been poor with a full charge only lasting about 8hours or so. I put this down to a new ROM I flashed as well as natural deterioration (18 month old S3).

Plug into the wall, red charging LED comes on, but the battery splash screen does not. Tried another charger...same. Thinking nothing of it I go to bed and wake up next morning to be greeted by a green charging LED. However, still no battery splash screen. I try to boot...it doesn't. When I "power on" the bottom LED buttons do light up white and go off after a few seconds. When I press the hold button again, they also come on for a few seconds. If i press the hold button while the button LEDs are on, they go off.

This makes me think the screen has broken as both the hold button and the charging LED is doing what it would do...but without any screen activity. However, it was not dropped or put under any pressure in any way. I have opened it up and also made sure the ribbon is undamaged and connected properly. I have tried calling the phone to no avail. It also does not vibrate or make any noises. Perhaps the battery doesn't have enough juice? Its as if its on the battery splash screen, I just cant see it.

I should mention the screen is infact cracked from an incident about 6-8 months ago. It was however, fully functional. Presumably, this will unfortunately stop me from sending it in. It was also using a flashed rom (CM11) and a flashed kernal (Boeffla).

I used a multimeter and measured 3.96v across the battery so that's fine. I can't test the current as I cant break into the S3 circuit and I dont have a resistor on hand to put some load on it.

Next steps?

Try to put it in odin mode (power+vol down+home then press vol up to agree that you are now in odin mode). You should see it in odin.
If you dont see it, your battery or energy system of your phone is broken. Otherwise your screen is probably broken?.
16th May 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Beni_

Try to put it in odin mode (power+vol down+home then press vol up to agree that you are now in odin mode). You should see it in odin.
If you dont see it, your battery or energy system of your phone is broken. Otherwise your screen is probably broken?.

I've managed to get it into download mode and too show up in odin. I can also get it to show the files in Windows if i wait after holding the power button.

This all indicates it is in fact booting up and the screen is broken...

...BUT...no sound...no vibration...and no calls received

Its as if its only half on. Beginning to suspect a catastophic motherboard failure. Is it possible the battery is at fault? Its as if a whole power rail providing for the phone receiver, loudspeaker, vibrator and screen has gone.
Last edited by adamscybot; 16th May 2014 at 11:01 PM.
17th May 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
210 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamscybot

I've managed to get it into download mode and too show up in odin. I can also get it to show the files in Windows if i wait after holding the power button.

This all indicates it is in fact booting up and the screen is broken...

...BUT...no sound...no vibration...and no calls received

Its as if its only half on. Beginning to suspect a catastophic motherboard failure. Is it possible the battery is at fault? Its as if a whole power rail providing for the phone receiver, loudspeaker, vibrator and screen has gone.

Can you try this?
https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
and let it ring?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes