Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,937 Members 43,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Safety Regarding Modifying Partition Layout

Tip us?

one-zero-two-four
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Safety Regarding Modifying Partition Layout

If I were to go about repartitioning the flash, what should I/would I need to do to preserve current partition layout, making sure I can easily restore to "normal". Obviously backup all the partitions, what else though?
The Following User Says Thank You to one-zero-two-four For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chrismast
Old
Thanks Meter 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-zero-two-four View Post
If I were to go about repartitioning the flash, what should I/would I need to do to preserve current partition layout, making sure I can easily restore to "normal". Obviously backup all the partitions, what else though?
I might be wrong but from what I read in other threads, repartitioning the SIII is not as easy as for instance the HTC Desire and might brick your device with a high probability. maybe someone with more experience could answer your question though.
Galaxy S III (I9300T)
Rooted - Radio: I9300TDUELL2 - PhilZ Touch Recovery - Kernel: Googy-Max
ROM: Slim Bean 4.3

Nexus 7 2013
Stock ROM - Not Rooted (lets see how long )

HTC Desire (A8181)
Hboot: Stock | Rooted & S-OFF
Rom: ICS Beta 0.15.0.1 | Radio: 5.17.05.23 | Kernel: Tiamat | Recovery: 4ExtRecovery Touch

Jumaqidi
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Nvr do re partition in odin. just tick f reset time and auto reboot ONLY unless the instructions asked u to do else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you

one-zero-two-four
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt View Post
Nvr do re partition in odin. just tick f reset time and auto reboot ONLY unless the instructions asked u to do else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you
No, I think you misunderstand.

A. I wouldn't use Odin, I'd use Heimdall

B. I INTEND to repartition my device as part of a project I'm working on.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 683
You are working outside the known universe for S3 users, I've heard of no-one else attempting repartition.

EMMC chip in this device appears to be very fragile, best of luck with your experiment.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

one-zero-two-four
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
You are working outside the known universe for S3 users, I've heard of no-one else attempting repartition.

EMMC chip in this device appears to be very fragile, best of luck with your experiment.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Fragile; how so? I can accomplish what I want with loop files but I'd rather use partitions.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-zero-two-four View Post
Fragile; how so? I can accomplish what I want with loop files but I'd rather use partitions.
Try reading the hundreds of threads where people are left with a hard brick and odin can't even flash a pit, the title of insane bug for the emmc chip says it all. Also many posts by users of cache 'improving' software, again left with a hard brick after resizing a partition.

If you can change/restore the partition structure, without replacing the emmc chip, you'll be one up on everyone else.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.