Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,937 Members 43,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Safety Regarding Modifying Partition Layout

Tip us?
 
one-zero-two-four
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Safety Regarding Modifying Partition Layout

If I were to go about repartitioning the flash, what should I/would I need to do to preserve current partition layout, making sure I can easily restore to "normal". Obviously backup all the partitions, what else though?
The Following User Says Thank You to one-zero-two-four For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
chrismast
Old
#2  
chrismast's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 434
Posts: 1,913
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangkok
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-zero-two-four View Post
If I were to go about repartitioning the flash, what should I/would I need to do to preserve current partition layout, making sure I can easily restore to "normal". Obviously backup all the partitions, what else though?
I might be wrong but from what I read in other threads, repartitioning the SIII is not as easy as for instance the HTC Desire and might brick your device with a high probability. maybe someone with more experience could answer your question though.
Galaxy S III (I9300T)
Rooted - Radio: I9300TDUELL2 - PhilZ Touch Recovery - Kernel: Googy-Max
ROM: Slim Bean 4.3

Nexus 7 2013
Stock ROM - Not Rooted (lets see how long )

HTC Desire (A8181)
Hboot: Stock | Rooted & S-OFF
Rom: ICS Beta 0.15.0.1 | Radio: 5.17.05.23 | Kernel: Tiamat | Recovery: 4ExtRecovery Touch
 
Jumaqidi
Old
#3  
Jumaqidi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 186
Posts: 1,054
Join Date: Dec 2013
Nvr do re partition in odin. just tick f reset time and auto reboot ONLY unless the instructions asked u to do else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you
 
one-zero-two-four
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt View Post
Nvr do re partition in odin. just tick f reset time and auto reboot ONLY unless the instructions asked u to do else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you
No, I think you misunderstand.

A. I wouldn't use Odin, I'd use Heimdall

B. I INTEND to repartition my device as part of a project I'm working on.
 
boomboomer
Old
#5  
boomboomer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 683
Posts: 3,047
Join Date: Jun 2010
You are working outside the known universe for S3 users, I've heard of no-one else attempting repartition.

EMMC chip in this device appears to be very fragile, best of luck with your experiment.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

 
one-zero-two-four
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
You are working outside the known universe for S3 users, I've heard of no-one else attempting repartition.

EMMC chip in this device appears to be very fragile, best of luck with your experiment.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Fragile; how so? I can accomplish what I want with loop files but I'd rather use partitions.
 
boomboomer
Old
#7  
boomboomer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 683
Posts: 3,047
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-zero-two-four View Post
Fragile; how so? I can accomplish what I want with loop files but I'd rather use partitions.
Try reading the hundreds of threads where people are left with a hard brick and odin can't even flash a pit, the title of insane bug for the emmc chip says it all. Also many posts by users of cache 'improving' software, again left with a hard brick after resizing a partition.

If you can change/restore the partition structure, without replacing the emmc chip, you'll be one up on everyone else.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Twik Keeps Your Accounts Secure with Randomly Generated Passwords

If youre one of thosewho find it just an impossible task to keep trackof … more

Moto G 4G Receives Official CyanogenMod 11 Love

When theMoto Gwas initially released to the world in November of last year,very few actually … more

Get Your Tasks Organized on Android Wear with Agenda Wear

Having a checklist of things you need to do is something we all can find useful at … more

Top 5 LG G3 MODs – XDA Developer TV

The LG G3 has been LG’s breakout hit of the summer. Using their knowledge frombuilding some … more