Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Safety Regarding Modifying Partition Layout

OP one-zero-two-four

9th January 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
More
If I were to go about repartitioning the flash, what should I/would I need to do to preserve current partition layout, making sure I can easily restore to "normal". Obviously backup all the partitions, what else though?
The Following User Says Thank You to one-zero-two-four For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2014, 03:31 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 448

1,950 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-zero-two-four

If I were to go about repartitioning the flash, what should I/would I need to do to preserve current partition layout, making sure I can easily restore to "normal". Obviously backup all the partitions, what else though?

I might be wrong but from what I read in other threads, repartitioning the SIII is not as easy as for instance the HTC Desire and might brick your device with a high probability. maybe someone with more experience could answer your question though.
9th January 2014, 07:43 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 190

1,097 posts
More
Nvr do re partition in odin. just tick f reset time and auto reboot ONLY unless the instructions asked u to do else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you
9th January 2014, 07:59 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt

Nvr do re partition in odin. just tick f reset time and auto reboot ONLY unless the instructions asked u to do else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you

No, I think you misunderstand.

A. I wouldn't use Odin, I'd use Heimdall

B. I INTEND to repartition my device as part of a project I'm working on.
9th January 2014, 01:02 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 752

3,427 posts
You are working outside the known universe for S3 users, I've heard of no-one else attempting repartition.

EMMC chip in this device appears to be very fragile, best of luck with your experiment.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
24th January 2014, 04:25 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer

You are working outside the known universe for S3 users, I've heard of no-one else attempting repartition.

EMMC chip in this device appears to be very fragile, best of luck with your experiment.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Fragile; how so? I can accomplish what I want with loop files but I'd rather use partitions.
25th January 2014, 05:15 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 752

3,427 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-zero-two-four

Fragile; how so? I can accomplish what I want with loop files but I'd rather use partitions.

Try reading the hundreds of threads where people are left with a hard brick and odin can't even flash a pit, the title of insane bug for the emmc chip says it all. Also many posts by users of cache 'improving' software, again left with a hard brick after resizing a partition.

If you can change/restore the partition structure, without replacing the emmc chip, you'll be one up on everyone else.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread