Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 41,214 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S3 & ATT Dropped Calls

Tip us?

tomtorre
Old
(Last edited by tomtorre; 8th June 2012 at 04:20 AM.) Reason: UPDATE...
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Unhappy [Q] Samsung Galaxy S3 & ATT Dropped Calls

I received my new Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300) a couple of days ago and I'm on the AT&T Network here in the US. I have had my MicroSIM changed TWICE and still I'm getting dropped calls like crazy. I never had this problem with my SG2. Is anyone else with a S3 on the AT&T Network experiencing more than usual Dropped Calls and 3G Data loss (Web Pages not found, No Network Connection etc) - if so, did you fix the problem and HOW??? I have reset my APN (Cingular 410 / wap.cingular) to default so many times, it's ridiculous - any help is most appreciated

UPDATE:
I just installed the MicroSIM Card I bought on Amazon.com (SKU 73054) and removed the AT&T Furnished iPAD MicroSIM Card (SKU 72288) - the AT&T Tech admitted they gave me the wrong MicroSIM Card - TWICE. Proud to say that I am now getting 3 to 4 Signal Bars in My Basement where I was hardly getting 1 bar before. I highly recommend purchasing the 73054 Card from only ABE-123 on Amazon.com (all others are cut cards) to anyone that may be having Signal Issues. Thank You EVERYBODY for all your help and suggestions

This is where I bought it from: http://www.amazon.com/AT-T-Micro-SIM-Card/dp/B003YTSXYO

Baldilocks
Old
Thanks Meter 994

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtorre View Post
I received my new Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300) a couple of days ago and I'm on the AT&T Network here in the US. I have had my MicroSIM changed TWICE and still I'm getting dropped calls like crazy. I never had this problem with my SG2. Is anyone else with a S3 on the AT&T Network experiencing more than usual Dropped Calls and 3G Data loss (Web Pages not found, No Network Connection etc) - if so, did you fix the problem and HOW??? I have reset my APN (Cingular 410 / wap.cingular) to default so many times, it's ridiculous - any help is most appreciated
Mine is working perfectly. Are you sure you just don't have a phone with a defective radio??
Nexus 5 - Loving me some Google

cdd543
Old
Thanks Meter 26
No issues here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Wirelessgirl
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Are you able to switch to 2G and see if you experience any dropped calls?

SlimJ87D
Old
Thanks Meter 411
You know, I along with other users have noticed that the radio is not as strong as the... HTC One X...

But the HTC One X was made specifically for ATT wher ehte International version is not. I don't know why reception isn't as good but I do see my phone sometimes changing between 3G, H and H+. The signal is pretty weak.

tomtorre
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirelessgirl View Post
Are you able to switch to 2G and see if you experience any dropped calls?
If I switch to EDGE, I actually pick up an additional Signal Strength Bar - I sure hope I don't have a bad radio, I have no idea on how to check that...

Wintrmte
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post
You know, I along with other users have noticed that the radio is not as strong as the... HTC One X...
Not to start an argument but having had the Lumia 900 and the One X, where I live, I found that the One X had a pretty poor radio when it came to reception.

The 1.85 update did help a bit, but the difference is noticeable when comparing it to the Lumia.

tomtorre
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks View Post
Mine is working perfectly. Are you sure you just don't have a phone with a defective radio??
I don't know how to check if I have a bad radio - I'm about a quarter of a mile from a cell tower and I only have a couple of Signal Bars - but when I go to the AT&T Store, I get 4 bars but they probably have boosters in their store - I'm going back to AT&T tomorrow and plead my case, I have no idea what they will try next

Wintrmte
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Just a suggestion, but is it possible to reflash the image? Maybe a that would help?

tomtorre
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintrmte View Post
Just a suggestion, but is it possible to reflash the image? Maybe a that would help?
Reflashing XXALE8 is tempting but I already rooted the phone and setup all my apps, I think I'll hold off on that till I get back from AT&T tomorrow but you make a very good point - i'm wondering if there is a later v4.0.4 firmware available for this UK Phone that might address the radio in this S3

Tags
att dropped calls, galaxy s3, no network