Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S3 & ATT Dropped Calls

OP tomtorre

21st June 2012, 05:04 AM   |  #41  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,376

8,934 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xT29c

No, I have not changed my plan. All I did when I got the Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300) in the mail was, take out my micro SIM from the iPhone, and place it in the Samsung Galaxy S3

Each SIM is serialized. When it's issued, it's associated with the plan provisioned on your account. Using an iPhone SIM associated with an iPhone plan will without question create problems for a Android HSPA+ device. If Amazon or a third party issues you a new SIM, the serial number assigned to it is entered in to AT&T's system and it takes on all the characteristics of the SIM AT&T originally issued. Your account settings control the SIM, not vice versa.

You have two choices to get consistent HSPA+ performance on an imported device.

1) If you're on a MEdia Net or Data for Non-Smartphones plan you need a SIM issued that reflects one of those plans. Being on another plan and using the Cingular APNs won't get you a consistent result. Being on an iPhone plan will always get you an inconsistent result.

2) If you're on a 4G plan (non-LTE) and using what everyone refers to as the "Phone" APN you need a SIM card that reflects that plan. You can't use the phone APN if you're on a non-4G plan or the Cingular APN if you're on a 4G plan. The result will always be inconsistent and will vary as you roam across different AT&T regions. I have zero knowledge of what being on an LTE plan and using an associated SIM in a non-LTE device does but Iím guessing itís not too good.

The only difference between the two plans is the servers you're routed through to reach the network. Upload and download speeds on HSPA+ are the same; AT&T only has one HSPA/HSPA+ network. The 4G servers are what AT&T uses to throttle and measure data consumption and also the reason they and the "Phone" APN were introduced with the launch of the Infuse and Inspire. The benefit of you being on them is AT&T's, not yours. For now, there's no soft cap on the Cingular servers because AT&T doesn't have a mechanism in place to police them. And the first 5-7 numbers of the IMEI are standardized and identify the make and model of a device. So if AT&T isn't detecting what types of phones are running on their network it's only because they haven't decided to yet. If hundreds of thousands of imported smartphones are suddenly chewing up GB's of non-smartphone data poking the bear will eventually get its attention.

I'm on my fourth imported device and learned both from trial by fire and a pretty cool Premier account rep how the system works and how to work around it. Anything other than items one and two above are a crap shoot and won't get you consistent performance no matter what you do with your APN settings or SIM cards.
21st June 2012, 05:25 AM   |  #42  
Flag Golden
Thanks Meter: 47

350 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

Each SIM is serialized. When it's issued, it's associated with the plan provisioned on your account. Using an iPhone SIM associated with an iPhone plan will without question create problems for a Android HSPA+ device.

That's really odd. I've been using my iPhone 4 microsim w/ adapter in my Galaxy Nexus with zero problems. Works great with the microcell too. I'm still on the iPhone unlimited data plan from four years ago.
21st June 2012, 05:41 AM   |  #43  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,376

8,934 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensgrabber

That's really odd. I've been using my iPhone 4 microsim w/ adapter in my Galaxy Nexus with zero problems. Works great with the microcell too. I'm still on the iPhone unlimited data plan from four years ago.

The reason I mentioned region is that AT&T isn't a single network. Through the SBC and CellularOne merger which involved 12 regional networks and then finally Bell South becoming AT&T there's a lot of inconsistency across what's being marketed as a holistic network. Settings that work in one region may not in another. I discovered this the hard way as I travel across the country quite a bit. I think that's what's confusing to people in these APN/connectivity discussions because what might work for some in one region won't in another. From personal experience and helping friends with imported devices I can guarantee you that items one and two in my above post work consistently across AT&T's network. Anything else is YMMV.
21st June 2012, 06:13 AM   |  #44  
Thanks Meter: 0

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

Each SIM is serialized. When it's issued, it's associated with the plan provisioned on your account. Using an iPhone SIM associated with an iPhone plan will without question create problems for a Android HSPA+ device. If Amazon or a third party issues you a new SIM, the serial number assigned to it is entered in to AT&T's system and it takes on all the characteristics of the SIM AT&T originally issued. Your account settings control the SIM, not vice versa.

You have two choices to get consistent HSPA+ performance on an imported device.

1) If you're on a MEdia Net or Data for Non-Smartphones plan you need a SIM issued that reflects one of those plans. Being on another plan and using the Cingular APNs won't get you a consistent result. Being on an iPhone plan will always get you an inconsistent result.

The only difference between the two plans is the servers you're routed through to reach the network. Upload and download speeds on HSPA+ are the same; AT&T only has one HSPA/HSPA+ network. The 4G servers are what AT&T uses to throttle and measure data consumption and also the reason they and the "Phone" APN were introduced with the launch of the Infuse and Inspire. The benefit of you being on them is AT&T's, not yours. For now, there's no soft cap on the Cingular servers because AT&T doesn't have a mechanism in place to police them. And the first 5-7 numbers of the IMEI are standardized and identify the make and model of a device. So if AT&T isn't detecting what types of phones are running on their network it's only because they haven't decided to yet. If hundreds of thousands of imported smartphones are suddenly chewing up GB's of non-smartphone data poking the bear will eventually get its attention.

I'm on my fourth imported device and learned both from trial by fire and a pretty cool Premier account rep how the system works and how to work around it. Anything other than items one and two above are a crap shoot and won't get you consistent performance no matter what you do with your APN settings or SIM cards.

Wow... thanks for your input, very informative!
I'm on situation 1. I have the Data for Non-Smartphones plan. How can I tell if I'm on an iPhone plan or not?
Should I contact AT&T, if so, what exactly should I ask them? I wanna make sure they don't take me off that unlimited data plan for as long as I can.

As to the SIM, do I need to get another one after finding out if I'm on an iPhone plan?
Or do I need a new one regardless, because the one I have doesn't reflect the Data for Non-Smartphones plan properly? If that's the case, where do I get the correct SIM for the SGS3 on the Data for Non-Smartphones plan?

Sorry for the questions that seem to be going in circles, but I've never had to deal with an imported, international phone before, so this is all new to me. But your help is greatly appreciated.
23rd June 2012, 09:47 AM   |  #45  

35 posts
Would I have better luck waiting for the US release of the phone, even though I won't get to keep the unlimited data plan?

My phone's signal is great at home, but at work its nonexistent for the most part.
With my iPhone, that wasn't an issue.
23rd June 2012, 09:55 AM   |  #46  
Flag Dover, DE
Thanks Meter: 1,016

2,507 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by xT29c

Would I have better luck waiting for the US release of the phone, even though I won't get to keep the unlimited data plan?

My phone's signal is great at home, but at work its nonexistent for the most part.
With my iPhone, that wasn't an issue.

Don't see why it would be any different. My GSIII pulls more signal (dBm) than my iPhones ever did. Perhaps you just have one with a defective radio?
23rd June 2012, 07:09 PM   |  #47  

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks

Don't see why it would be any different. My GSIII pulls more signal (dBm) than my iPhones ever did. Perhaps you just have one with a defective radio?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking/hoping it is. It doesn't seem that a lot of other SGS3 users on AT&T have this problem.

I'll probably return it and get the 64gb version, and hope it works out.
1st November 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #48  

2 posts
Exclamation Galaxy S3 3g-4g-cell Signal issues
Good day everyone. I just recently purchased a New Galaxy S3 from a local Spint store. I have been a loyal Sprint customer for 15 years. I have owned many different phones (Star-Tac, Sony, Touch-pro 1-2, Evo, EVO 4G) Over the past 2 weeks since buying the S3, I've noticed a SERIOUS drop in network connectivity, both Data & Cell for absolutely no reason. Now, stop me if I'm wrong, but on my Evo 4G, I could connect to the internet EVEN if I didn't have a 3g signal... As long as I had Cell bars, I could access the web no problem. So the S3 is giving me some headaches and I've seen on other forums that others are too. These people are on diffferent carriers too.
So here's my issue. When I'm in a GOOD STRONG Sprint network, I've been attempting to access the web (Google Store or You-Tube) and have seen the 3g or 4G icon on the bar show data up/downloading then WINK, they dissappear and I get a "No connection RETRY" window. I've made many changes, selected CDMA instead of CDMA/LTE, vice-cersa. I've updated PRL, Profile, Firmware and even have the new Jelly Bean 4.1.1
I've contacted Samsung and "Chatted" with a technician, but this person had NO clue of this issue... I gave them the links to this and other Android forums...
So do I take it back? Revert back to my Evo? I have to say, the speed and versatility on the S3 when it's good, is GREAT, but I'm not one to have some half good, especially one so expensive...
Any imput is appreciated...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
att dropped calls, galaxy s3, no network
Previous Thread Next Thread