Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 36,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy S3 connected to WiFi but no internet connectivity

Tip us?

opiuz
Old
(Last edited by opiuz; 17th July 2012 at 09:38 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Samsung Galaxy S3 connected to WiFi but no internet connectivity

sup everybody.

firstly, i am a wireless expert (11+ years experience) so im not a nuubie to Wireless networks.

but i am new to Android and have just recently gotten an S3, so im hoping some body can help me.

i have an 802.11n wireless hop that connects my upstairs network to my downstairs network (internet router is downstairs)
upstairs i have an 802.11b/g access point for the older devices to connect to, this access point is connected to my 802.11n bridge

my laptop connects to the 802.11b/g network fine, and has internet connectivity (no issues)

when i first got the S3 last night, it was connecting fine as well, but since this morning, no matter what i do, the S3 connects to the access point, gets DHCP, i can ping the IP address, but it doesnt have net access, but if i connect to the 802.11n network it gets net access.

so for the life of me i cant figure out why.

so in a nutshell net access works from the laptop, but not the S3, same access point, and yes ive checked the WPA2 passkey, and the device is getting DHCP.

any suggestions.

like how to reset the IP address on the S3

freebordjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Tried restarting your rooter?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
My android history: SE x10mini cm7 1 x 800MhZ --> SE Xperia Neo cm7 1 x 1GhZ --> Galaxy Nexus AOKP 2 x 1,2 GhZ --> SGS 3 Jelly Beaned 4 x 1,4 Ghz Nexus 4 4 x 1,5 Ghz (Bricked) --> , Nexus 4 4 x 1,5 Ghz---> Galaxy Note 3 CrashRom 4 x 2.3 -GHz----> Moto X 2 x 1,7 Ghz Motorola x8 Mobile Computing System

opiuz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebordjunky View Post
Tried restarting your rooter?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
all of the above, like i said. laptop works, even my wifes stupid blackbery works on the access point

valerio.tosti
Old
Thanks Meter 12
i have since i flashed omega 9 too a strange problem with wifi connection! It regognizes my wifi but if i want connect to it he says authentification error!!!! i've tried everything!! i have tried to flash an other rom with factory reset but nothing he recognize my wifi but won't connect to it!
I have tried several wifi networks!!! it connects only if i am near the router(+-5meters)

d4fseeker
Old
Thanks Meter 434
Quote:
i can ping the IP address, but it doesnt have net access
Sounds like the default gateway route is not correctly received or activated. Do you have any computer/laptop with a promiscuous-capable Wifi card around that you might use with Wireshark? It should tell what exactly goes wrong.
Since you claim to be a Wifi expert I guess you won't need much help interpreting the result.

Quote:
regognizes my wifi but if i want connect to it he says authentification error!
Are you sure the password is correct? Sounds stupid but well...

valerio.tosti
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4fseeker View Post
Sounds like the default gateway route is not correctly received or activated. Do you have any computer/laptop with a promiscuous-capable Wifi card around that you might use with Wireshark? It should tell what exactly goes wrong.
Since you claim to be a Wifi expert I guess you won't need much help interpreting the result.

Are you sure the password is correct? Sounds stupid but well...
yes the password is correct, then it connects rarely to it but no internet connection!
on my macbook everything works fine

russeini
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerio.tosti View Post
yes the password is correct, then it connects rarely to it but no internet connection!
on my macbook everything works fine
Try shutting off ur router.... Wait for a min or so then turn it bak on nd see what happens. I have an intellinet router which when the current goes off nd then on im able to connect to everythng except all google services (gmail, search, reader, syn, etc.) until i do the above. All my other devices connect fine in the meantime! Must be smthng with android....

priyana
Old
Thanks Meter 1,258
- check the ip address.
- from device, ping its default gateway
- from device, ping external ip address that is known to response to ping
if all those works but you can't ping www.yahoo.com, it is resolver issue.
if all those including pinging yahoo works, and you still have no access, then the apps has issue or there is firewall.

Calen77
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Default 2 S3 in a 3 days (Internet Isues)

Well, a seven days ago itake a Galaxy S3 from my carrier: Ancel (Uruguay).

IN the First day all fine,but in the night it canīt connect with 3g. In the other day the Wifi STOPs. TheS3 conect with the rooter but canīt navigate.

I change the rooter, resetthe phone (factory Reset) but the thinks not change.

I comeback to my carrierand Ancel take my old phone and give me a new S3 (1 day old).

For 2 days, it go well, butin the final of the second day, No wireless or 3g connect, the same again.

Itīs a |Firmware problem, ahardware damage, what suppose I have to do ???

My computer is normal, myold N97 is fine, It has 3G signal and navigate on Wifi and 2G/3G, but my galaxyS3 no …

I īm very confused with this situation ... Twophones in a 3 days …

XBoUnCiNX
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just joined to give u a suggestion

TRY
call *#0011# (Takes phone into service menu)
press menu key and select wifi
Disable wifi powersaving mode

You may need to repeat this upon phone restarts but it may well sort out your problem

The Following User Says Thank You to XBoUnCiNX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]