Samsung Galaxy S3 connected to WiFi but no internet connectivity

Search This thread

opiuz

Jul 11, 2008
sup everybody.

firstly, i am a wireless expert (11+ years experience) so im not a nuubie to Wireless networks.

but i am new to Android and have just recently gotten an S3, so im hoping some body can help me.

i have an 802.11n wireless hop that connects my upstairs network to my downstairs network (internet router is downstairs)
upstairs i have an 802.11b/g access point for the older devices to connect to, this access point is connected to my 802.11n bridge

my laptop connects to the 802.11b/g network fine, and has internet connectivity (no issues)

when i first got the S3 last night, it was connecting fine as well, but since this morning, no matter what i do, the S3 connects to the access point, gets DHCP, i can ping the IP address, but it doesnt have net access, but if i connect to the 802.11n network it gets net access.:confused:

so for the life of me i cant figure out why.

so in a nutshell net access works from the laptop, but not the S3, same access point, and yes ive checked the WPA2 passkey, and the device is getting DHCP.

any suggestions.

like how to reset the IP address on the S3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3693611

Tried restarting your rooter?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

valerio.tosti

Jun 19, 2012
Bissen
i have since i flashed omega 9 too a strange problem with wifi connection! It regognizes my wifi but if i want connect to it he says authentification error!!!! i've tried everything!! i have tried to flash an other rom with factory reset but nothing he recognize my wifi but won't connect to it!
I have tried several wifi networks!!! it connects only if i am near the router(+-5meters)

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
i can ping the IP address, but it doesnt have net access
Sounds like the default gateway route is not correctly received or activated. Do you have any computer/laptop with a promiscuous-capable Wifi card around that you might use with Wireshark? It should tell what exactly goes wrong.
Since you claim to be a Wifi expert I guess you won't need much help interpreting the result.

regognizes my wifi but if i want connect to it he says authentification error!
Are you sure the password is correct? Sounds stupid but well...

valerio.tosti

Jun 19, 2012
Bissen
Sounds like the default gateway route is not correctly received or activated. Do you have any computer/laptop with a promiscuous-capable Wifi card around that you might use with Wireshark? It should tell what exactly goes wrong.
Since you claim to be a Wifi expert I guess you won't need much help interpreting the result.

Are you sure the password is correct? Sounds stupid but well...

yes the password is correct, then it connects rarely to it but no internet connection!
on my macbook everything works fine

russeini

Sep 6, 2009
yes the password is correct, then it connects rarely to it but no internet connection!
on my macbook everything works fine

Try shutting off ur router.... Wait for a min or so then turn it bak on nd see what happens. I have an intellinet router which when the current goes off nd then on im able to connect to everythng except all google services (gmail, search, reader, syn, etc.) until i do the above. All my other devices connect fine in the meantime! Must be smthng with android....

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
- check the ip address.
- from device, ping its default gateway
- from device, ping external ip address that is known to response to ping
if all those works but you can't ping www.yahoo.com, it is resolver issue.
if all those including pinging yahoo works, and you still have no access, then the apps has issue or there is firewall.

Calen77

Oct 1, 2011
Artigas
2 S3 in a 3 days (Internet Isues)

Well, a seven days ago itake a Galaxy S3 from my carrier: Ancel (Uruguay).

IN the First day all fine,but in the night it can´t connect with 3g. In the other day the Wifi STOPs. TheS3 conect with the rooter but can´t navigate.

I change the rooter, resetthe phone (factory Reset) but the thinks not change.

I comeback to my carrierand Ancel take my old phone and give me a new S3 (1 day old).

For 2 days, it go well, butin the final of the second day, No wireless or 3g connect, the same again.

It´s a |Firmware problem, ahardware damage, what suppose I have to do ???

My computer is normal, myold N97 is fine, It has 3G signal and navigate on Wifi and 2G/3G, but my galaxyS3 no …

I ´m very confused with this situation ... Twophones in a 3 days …

XBoUnCiNX

Jul 18, 2012
Just joined to give u a suggestion

TRY
call *#0011# (Takes phone into service menu)
press menu key and select wifi
Disable wifi powersaving mode

You may need to repeat this upon phone restarts but it may well sort out your problem

Reactions: dead_dogy

manbatistuta

Jun 11, 2012

TRY

You may need to repeat this upon phone restarts but it may well sort out your problem

This technique works for me but only like a temporary solution. Restarting the home router also works for me but again is temporary. This issue I think is with most galaxy s3 devices. I own a galaxy tab 10.1 and it's there in it as well. huge pain to check each time, critical notifications are always missed. Have switched to bluetooth internet sharing from my laptop to avoid disruptions as I just can't trust the wireless.

valerio.tosti

Jun 19, 2012
Bissen
Try shutting off ur router.... Wait for a min or so then turn it bak on nd see what happens. I have an intellinet router which when the current goes off nd then on im able to connect to everythng except all google services (gmail, search, reader, syn, etc.) until i do the above. All my other devices connect fine in the meantime! Must be smthng with android....

i have tried that several times but no luck

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

TRY

not working for me

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
None of both have commented on my suggestion to use Wireshark on another computer to see what's actually going on.
It's hard to guess the reason since by crystall ball is broken and it's nearly impossible to get magical artifacts in pristine conditions on ebay...

Calen77

Oct 1, 2011
Artigas
No Way.

But after reset the configurations, today in 3G mode al is fine.

In wifi it shows Conected in calennetwork, after this it show internet not avaliable via selected wlan ap. It can´t navigate.

In my router page , the received packets always change, for more data and the sent packets never change.

In the avanced configuration what is the Network prefix lenght ? In my XT860 and N97 i always select the channel of the router, but in the galaxy a don´t have this option.

But the strange, is that in the 2 galaxy s3 in the first day work im my router, and then after some hours it´s crash and not navigate...

Very bad Samsung.

I´m thincking in change my S3 for a S2 or Lumia.

I´m disapointed for it, because if i change the Firmware version i lost the warranty and i have bad feeling about this isues... Is a hardware fault or a software bug ???

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
Is a hardware fault or a software bug ???
The hardware sounds fine, I'd guess software issue.

because if i change the Firmware version i lost the warranty
You only lose warranty if you bring it to a store without original Rom. Just use the normal procedure (TriangleAway, Odin, Factoryreset) to get it back to stock and you're good to go. If your device has issues preventing it from booting (so you cannot re-flash original) they can't check the binary counter either :angel:

Calen77

Oct 1, 2011
Artigas
THancks for the help.

I will going to look for triangleway & Odin in the forum.

With my Motorola XT860 i made a lot of stuff: CWM, Custom Roms... but i dont´t know nothing about the S3.

Just some days reading here in XDA and a will going to know all that kind os Staff.

Sorry for the BAd English...

AndyCr15

Apr 27, 2005
London, UK
www.lanarchy.co.uk
I'm having this issue. I think it has to be a firmware issue as I don't think I get it if I use CyanogenMod9 or 10 (but I could be wrong)

It really is very annoying and somewhat disappointing.

Calen77

Oct 1, 2011
Artigas
Hello Again!

I tested my S3 in others routers, and all the router that working without sharedkey (open network) my S3 can conect and acess the internet.

Test your phone with one and post for us here.

OBS: In my TP link TL-WR642G it can´t conect (with and without Shared key) but in the first day yes, i don´t understand it.

I will going to 3 school who has open Internet for all the childrens and this 3 schools my s3 conect and navigate in the Internet.

Thancks for the support, if anybody change the firmware and the phone come normal again, please comeback here and post for us.

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
Anyone with this issue, please try the following:
- Take a Nandroid backup of your phone (on the internal SDcard, restoring from external seems to be broken)
- Flash CM9
- Try Wifi

If it works, please report. if it doesn't, restore the Nandroid backup and report =)
Since CM9 is not based on Samsung-software, that should answer the question about it being an issue in the newer Rom once and for all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TRY