5,600,182 Members 39,702 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Freezes, Crashes etc

Tip us?

UnTraDe
Old
(Last edited by UnTraDe; 25th December 2013 at 10:15 AM.) Reason: Forgot another problem
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Freezes, Crashes etc

I have Samsung Galaxy S3 International (i9300) with OmniROM 4.4 installed from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524285 and rooted.

I'm experiencing a very very weird and annoying behavoiur with it, it freezes for about 5-20 minutes at a time and it happens very often, sometimes when it's on sleep mode it just turn off for no reason (Or maybe it's the same freeze problem as above, just when the phone is in sleep mode...). Sometimes when I enter applications (It doesnt matter what applications, it happens randomly across all of them) it just get stuck at the black screen after the transition animation from the launcher to the app's page (again it might be the same freeze problem as above, just exatcly when I open the application).

Before I installed OmniROM I had CyanogeonMod 10.2.0 installed on this phone and while the above problems still accourd from time to time, they were in way smaller numbers, they happened once in a few days or even weeks, but now, they happen almost every hour which makes it unbearable.

I searched the internet for this problem alot before I came here to post here about it, and the closest I got is this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2133401 which seems to describe exactly my problem, so I read it, but none of the solutions there worked. Dummy File Generator just keep crushing after 20-30% and then when I start it again it crashes instantly. And I am pretty sure the kernel I'm using is newer than the kernel version they said was stable (XXEMB1).

By the way my eMMC is the affected model.

Is there some other solution? Is there a system debug log or something like that which contains the information about this freezes/crashes?

Sorry for my bad english. Thanks in advance!

Edit 1:
I forgot to mention that also it get stuck for a few seconds sometimes when I try to perform certain actions (For example sometimes when I open the keyboard it get stuck for a few minutes or not open at all)

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 556
Go back to full stock rom and test. If still the same then you have bad memory blocks, the freezes are the os 'stepping around' them. Only solution is a new motherboard.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

UnTraDe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
Go back to full stock rom and test. If still the same then you have bad memory blocks, the freezes are the os 'stepping around' them. Only solution is a new motherboard.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your answer!

What is exactly a "bad memory block" and how a certain memory block become one? How can it be avoided? I have some experience with micro-processors and low-level memory and I developed some apps for android so I know a little about the system, so I'd be glad if someone can give me a more technical explanation of this problem.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 556
Samsung fitted an eMMC chip with low specification (my opinion) then botched the wear levelling of memory write operations, until 4.1.2 was released. Users who remained on 4.0 suffered most, with nand damage (maximum writes exceeded) on the worst blocks.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

UnTraDe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I ended up flashing the stock ROM, but it didnt solved my problem, according to your last reply, I understood there is no solution to this problem from the software side, so I guess ill have to buy a new one.
The weird part is, I got the phone with 4.0.4 version installed, but I didnt stayed with this version long before I started to flash custom ROM's. So maybe it has nothing to do with the way Samsung treated the wear levelling problem and it's just the eMMC chip itself which is low quality. After all, many other Samsung products we're using this version and I didn't heard people complaining about similiar issues on devices other than the Samsung S3 i9300 model.
Thanks for your time anyway!