Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,371 Members 38,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S3 suddenly died... any way of recovering pics?

Tip us?

zhuk0v
Old
(Last edited by zhuk0v; 8th February 2013 at 09:39 AM.) Reason: Grammar police
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Galaxy S3 suddenly died... any way of recovering pics?

Hi everyone,

I'm one of those "lucky" guys whose Galaxy S3 was affected by a sudden and unexplained death.

Despite having a microSD card i had kept around 700 photos in the internal memory, since I didn't think my phone was gonna commit suicide like it did 4 days ago. Since they told me at Samsung technical service that they're gonna probably have to replace the mainboard, that means everything stored in the internal memory will be lost.

Thing is a had performed a CWM backup days before the "incident" so I'm wondering that if when a get the phone repaired from Samsung and root it again, then perform a CWM restore...that would restore my pics. I've read equivocal things looking up Google, some people say CWM (Nandroid) doesnt backup anything from the internal sdcard, others say it backs ur photos up too....

Can anybody shed some light on this, please?

chubby65
Old
Thanks Meter 595
Default Re: Galaxy S3 suddenly died... any way of recovering pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk0v View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm one of those "lucky" guys whose Galaxy S3 was affected by a sudden and unexplained death.

Despite having a microSD card i had kept around 700 photos in the internal memory, since I didn't think my phone was gonna commit suicide like it did 4 days ago. Since they told me at Samsung technical service that they're gonna probably have to replace the mainboard, which means everything stored in the internal memory will be lost.

Thing is a had performed a CWM backup days before the "incident" so I'm wondering that if when a get the phone repaired from Samsung and root it again, then perform a CWM restore...that would restore my pics. I've read equivocal things looking up Google, some people say CWM (Nandroid) doesnt backup anything from the internal sdcard, others say it backs ur photos up too....

Can anybody shed some light on this, please?
Your basically screwed mate I had sudden death on my s3 and lost everything
Anything you had on internal memory has been lost forever

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

zhuk0v
Old
(Last edited by zhuk0v; 8th February 2013 at 09:50 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default sent uc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby65 View Post
Your basically screwed mate I had sudden death on my s3 and lost everything
Anything you had on internal memory has been lost forever

Thanks for answering chubby. I stored my CWM backups in my external microSD card so I'd able to access that data again once rooted. Definitely no chance at all of the pics being somewhere there in the backup?

chubby65
Old
Thanks Meter 595

Quote:
Thanks for answering chubby. I stored my CWM backups in my external microSD card so I'd able to access that data again once rooted. Definitely no chance at all of the pics being somewhere there in the backup?
Lost everything mate i was gutted
Everything that was on external SD was still there including my nandroid backups so once rooted i just restored a nandroid to put phone back to normal
Took a week to come back from (O2) tho
Learnt my lesson the hard way now backup internal memory to pc

zhuk0v
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Lost everything mate i was gutted
Everything that was on external SD was still there including my nandroid backups so once rooted i just restored a nandroid to put phone back to normal
Took a week to come back from (O2) tho
Learnt my lesson the hard way now backup internal memory to pc

And did it restored your pics?

chubby65
Old
Thanks Meter 595

Quote:
And did it restored your pics?
Didn't restore anything that was on internal memory mate lost everything

zhuk0v
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Didn't restore anything that was on internal memory mate lost everything

Ok, cheers mate. I'm really gutted too, it's incredible that such an expensive phone comes with faulty hardware like this.

I think I'm gonna contact Samsung again asking for a compensation or something like that, they should pay up for 3 weeks without phone and the loss of data.

chubby65
Old
Thanks Meter 595

Quote:
Ok, cheers mate. I'm really gutted too, it's incredible that such an expensive phone comes with faulty hardware like this.

I think I'm gonna contact Samsung again asking for a compensation or something like that, they should pay up for 3 weeks without phone and the loss of data.
When i sent mine off for repair it went as 16GB model and came back as 32gb model so it's worth asking

Canacourse
Old
(Last edited by Canacourse; 1st June 2013 at 12:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
My S3 had all the symptoms of the sudden death problem. It died on overnight charge and would not boot pass the Samsung logo.

Installing the same firmware that was on the phone before it failed did not fix the problem. But... Installing the latest firmware did and allowed the phone to boot normally and I was able to retrieve ALL data from the phone memory. I'm posting this because several people have said that it is not possible to retrieve data from the phone once this problem occurs.

I still intend to leave my phone in for repair but I was at least able to get my data.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canacourse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,854
I don't think you had actually reached full or half sds. If you had, people were correct that you couldn't flash it.

Before my sds I had several filesystem corruptions which I recovered with backups and rom flashes but these were pre cursars to the actual sds issue.

Everyone should use dropbox auto upload for photos and foldersync for other data as a preventative measure

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.