XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung S3 Permanent freeze on home screen

Tip us?

masso76
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung S3 Permanent freeze on home screen

My appologies for this post. Probably this problem is being dealt before on this forum but cant seem to find a solution to mine.

hi, i have a samsung s3 32gb (original stock unrooted).
Problem my space was running low on my s3. And while shooting a video, the space ran out and the phone froze. then i tried to end the video but obviously the screen was frozen.
After that i tried to reboot the phone but it came to the home screen, and couldnt press anything. (i only can drag the top bar down and that's it, it doesnt come back up).
i tried soft reset, didnt work. i tried to boot in safe mode, it doesnt work (it get stuck at the samsung logo). download and recovery mode works fine.
when i connect it to the pc, in device manager i get under Portable Devices (MTP USB device with a yellow triangle and ! mark). obviously KIES doesnt recognise anything connected.
After reading lot of posts, i installed 'android-sdk' and ran 'adb.exe' in cmd.
adb devices shows my device ; i can see all the directories on my phone.
when i try to copy, move or delete any files from the phone to my pc to empty the phone storage, i get this message "device not found".
i dont wanna lose my pics and videos +data (no backup). ANY HELP GUYS???

JellyYogurt
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by masso76 View Post
My appologies for this post. Probably this problem is being dealt before on this forum but cant seem to find a solution to mine.

hi, i have a samsung s3 32gb (original stock unrooted).
Problem my space was running low on my s3. And while shooting a video, the space ran out and the phone froze. then i tried to end the video but obviously the screen was frozen.
After that i tried to reboot the phone but it came to the home screen, and couldnt press anything. (i only can drag the top bar down and that's it, it doesnt come back up).
i tried soft reset, didnt work. i tried to boot in safe mode, it doesnt work (it get stuck at the samsung logo). download and recovery mode works fine.
when i connect it to the pc, in device manager i get under Portable Devices (MTP USB device with a yellow triangle and ! mark). obviously KIES doesnt recognise anything connected.
After reading lot of posts, i installed 'android-sdk' and ran 'adb.exe' in cmd.
adb devices shows my device ; i can see all the directories on my phone.
when i try to copy, move or delete any files from the phone to my pc to empty the phone storage, i get this message "device not found".
Try clearing cache and dalvik. If it doesn't work, u might have to factory reset which deletes ur data. Since android-sdk doesn't work anymore and kies too. There is no way to back up ur data. Ur only hope is tat clearing cache and dalvik works.

Darkened_Sky
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
pictures and videos are stored on the internal sdcard, so they are save even if you decide to wipe your data.
you will only lose your app data and settings

but try first the suggestion from the post above

masso76
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt View Post
Try clearing cache and dalvik.. .
if you are referring to clearing the cache that is in the recovery mode. i already cleared the cache and still same thing happening.
can you explain 'dalvik' ? what to do step by step if possible

Also you mentioned that android-sdk is not working, (it is true ) but how come i can still see all my phone contents ?

masso76
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkened_Sky View Post
pictures and videos are stored on the internal sdcard, so they are save even if you decide to wipe your data.
you will only lose your app data and settings
if you are referring to the factory reset inside the "settings" menu in the phone, i think it would be true (the pics & videos wont be affected)
but if you are referring to the reset in the recovery mode. i think that will format everything including my personal data (pics & videos) and return the phone to a factory state (which is how it was new). isnt the OS and data are on the internal sdcard as well ?

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 555
Their comments refer to a custom recovery, e.g Philz, where you can clear dalvik and also mount your storage for usb access.

I think you have bigger problems, the phone should not have frozen as you describe and you many have partition corruption.

There are step by step guides on how to install custom recovery in general forum, stickies. It will invalidate your warranty, which might not be a good idea if you need a new motherboard.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JellyYogurt
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
if you are referring to the factory reset inside the "settings" menu in the phone, i think it would be true (the pics & videos wont be affected)
but if you are referring to the reset in the recovery mode. i think that will format everything including my personal data (pics & videos) and return the phone to a factory state (which is how it was new). isnt the OS and data are on the internal sdcard as well ?
The factory reset on recovery will not delete ur pics or videos.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you