Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 54,608 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SGS3 - Error: “Not Registered on Network”

Tip us?

Megneto
Old
(Last edited by Megneto; 16th November 2012 at 05:54 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Angry [Q] SGS3 - Error: “Not Registered on Network”

Error: “Not Registered on Network”

SGS III have JB 4.1.1 (I9300XXDLI8) ROM/baseband, rooted with CF-Root/TWRP.

I was running the above ROM with some sort of (probably) Soft unlocking done by a local mobile repair shop. Anyway, recently I decided to try out one of the custom ROM i.e. Omega 32.1 (JB 4.1.1) and before proceeding any further I made a full backup on SD card with TWRP.

I downloaded and flashed Omega 32.1, thinking that I can always go back if something doesn’t work out. Anyway, long and the short of it, when I restored my S3 through TWRP restore, I found out that it isn’t connecting with my mobile network i.e. Warid Tel with the error “Not Registered on Network”.

By the way I also happen to have the factory unlock code for this SGS3, but unfortunately all the USSD codes I've tried to enter it, doesn't work.

Although, I guess I can take it back and get it re-unlocked again, but that isn’t going to allow me to install custom roms.
Can anyone guide me how to fix this situation, any tips, help, will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Babur

eggman89
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megneto View Post
Error: “Not Registered on Network”

SGS III have JB 4.1.1 (I9300XXDLI8) ROM/baseband, rooted with CF-Root/TWRP.

I was running the above ROM with some sort of (probably) Soft unlocking done by a local mobile repair shop. Anyway, recently I decided to try out one of the custom ROM i.e. Omega 32.1 (JB 4.1.1) and before proceeding any further I made a full backup on SD card with TWRP.

I downloaded and flashed Omega 32.1, thinking that I can always go back if something doesn’t work out. Anyway, long and the short of it, when I restored my S3 through TWRP restore, I found out that it isn’t connecting with my mobile network i.e. Warid Tel with the error “Not Registered on Network”.

By the way I also happen to have the factory unlock code for this SGS3, but unfortunately all the USSD codes I've tried to enter it, doesn't work.

Although, I guess I can take it back and get it re-unlocked again, but that isn’t going to allow me to install custom roms.
Can anyone guide me how to fix this situation, any tips, help, will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Babur
Check your IMEI number.
Has it changed?

Megneto
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman89 View Post
Check your IMEI number.
Has it changed?
No it hasn't changed.

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Default The problem was the original "soft unlock"

Quote:
The problem was the original "soft unlock" - some of those (I believe even some early that were made by NSPro) are rather poor and are based on flashing a special modem binary. You will be able to fix it if you search around for the fix posted by Ariza (even if I believe something happened to the original post).
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7

Megneto
Old
(Last edited by Megneto; 17th November 2012 at 12:01 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I am trying to find the fix by Ariza, but so far nothing has turned up. Also, if I search for the user "Ariza" it doesn't help either. Do you remember exact member alias?

Also, does that fix result in permanent resolution of the issue?

Or, is it better to get rid of this SGS3, and get factor unlocked version?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Edit:
I forgot to mention in OP that it correctly identifies the network when I check Status of the device.

Edit 2:
I was able to get hold of the guy who actually did the 'soft' unlocking in the first place, and he confirmed that it was done using NSPro (through Dongle) and is willing to do it again.

But the issue is, it will restrict me to JB 4.1.1 and I can't install any custom ROM.

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Default Hmm ...

Quote:
I am trying to find the fix by Ariza, but so far nothing has turned up. Also, if I search for the user "Ariza" it doesn't help either. Do you remember exact member alias?

Also, does that fix result in permanent resolution of the issue?

Or, is it better to get rid of this SGS3, and get factor unlocked version?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Edit:
I forgot to mention in OP that it correctly identifies the network when I check Status of the device.

Edit 2:
I was able to get hold of the guy who actually did the 'soft' unlocking in the first place, and he confirmed that it was done using NSPro (through Dongle) and is willing to do it again.

But the issue is, it will restrict me to JB 4.1.1 and I can't install any custom ROM.
The thread was this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1918601

(in a post towards end I have some of the stuff from the forum where you had to register in order to get the files, and you might still recover some of those links - apparently those are patched versions of the corresponding stock modems which no longer check some of the information from nv_data.bin; you will need to add that modem after each major ROM change).

If you only plan to use 4.1.1 and not upgrade then NsPro should be OK, otherwise you either need a "subscription" to the services of that guy
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7

Megneto
Old
(Last edited by Megneto; 18th November 2012 at 11:37 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thank you for the help. I will go through that thread soon.

I've have also looked at this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1705650 by UpInTheAir. I have installed android SDK for Winx64 and successfully extracted modem.bin (as a test). I think I'll get the phone back to that guy, so he can patch the modem with NSPro again, once that is done, I'll extract the modem, repackage it so I can install it with CWM and test whether that can eventually help me in experimenting with other ROMs.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Again thank you for your valued help.

Kind regards.
Babur

Megneto
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Having tried the method mentioned in my previous post, I finally gave up and took the phone for repair.

What transpired from thereon is interesting and confusing. As according to Mr. Repair 'serial number and IMEI' were repaired, nothing more. In fact I extracted the modem and compared it with the one I have, they are exactly same no patch applied.

However, both IMEI and serial number were showing correctly prior to the repair, and even after repair they are same (I double checked those with the original invoice/phone box etc.). So I am not sure how they were damaged when they were showing correctly.

Megneto
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Update:
I've sold the unit question, as I felt not to take any more risks with it, and bought an factory unlocked SGS3. Hopefully I will not face any problems with playing around with custom ROMs from hereon in.

Thank you and kind regards to all.

Babur