[Q] The Slimkat Blues (softbrick)

9th March 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

5 posts
Hello. New to rooting. Root worked well, cool stuff. Then i tried to flash a rom,(probably never again) cyanogen rom said it was unstable on the s3 but i saw posts of slimrom(.net) and it sounded steady.. now i cannot unzip files or flash roms or get any gapps to work. Softbrick i guess its called. Plus my backup isnt on my phone anymore. Do i need to Kies my way out? Any help would be dope. I never thought id want touchwiz so bad. . . Also if kies works will my google apps be back?
9th March 2014, 07:34 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 187

1,075 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Password1

Hello. New to rooting. Root worked well, cool stuff. Then i tried to flash a rom,(probably never again) cyanogen rom said it was unstable on the s3 but i saw posts of slimrom(.net) and it sounded steady.. now i cannot unzip files or flash roms or get any gapps to work. Softbrick i guess its called. Plus my backup isnt on my phone anymore. Do i need to Kies my way out? Any help would be dope. I never thought id want touchwiz so bad. . . Also if kies works will my google apps be back?

Gotta tell us wat u did.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
9th March 2014, 01:07 PM   |  #3  
Flag The Land of Android
Thanks Meter: 343

1,033 posts
More
Quote:

Like JellyYogurt said we need more detail your post is confusing this is probably a easy fix and you need to read up more on how to flash roms.First of all there is nothing wrong with slimrom I have flashed it many times without any problems..."unzip files" why would you want to unzip files to flash a rom?

Rom's come in a couple of formats zip files which you flash with a custom recovery ( you do not unzip them) or .tar files which you flash with odin (these are normally stock roms).

Can you get into recovery? (If yes perform a factory reset and reboot ) see if that works,if not you mention you have a backup can't you put your backup on ext SD card with a card reader and restore from recovery or do you mean you delated it ?

If you just want to go back to stock touchwiz and not bother with custom roms again just download your phone version from sammobile and flash with odin.Also another misconception is that you said you rooted then tried to flash a rom why? You only need to root your phone if you are going to stay on stock rom and use root apps and not flash custom roms. The reason is 99% of custom roms come already rooted so you can skip rooting your phone yourself.

More detail is needed so people can answer you correctly
The Following User Says Thank You to tallman43 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2014, 01:43 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman43

Like JellyYogurt said we need more detail your post is confusing this is probably a easy fix and you need to read up more on how to flash roms.First of all there is nothing wrong with slimrom I have flashed it many times without any problems..."unzip files" why would you want to unzip files to flash a rom?

Rom's come in a couple of formats zip files which you flash with a custom recovery ( you do not unzip them) or .tar files which you flash with odin (these are normally stock roms).

Can you get into recovery? (If yes perform a factory reset and reboot ) see if that works,if not you mention you have a backup can't you put your backup on ext SD card with a card reader and restore from recovery or do you mean you delated it ?

If you just want to go back to stock touchwiz and not bother with custom roms again just download your phone version from sammobile and flash with odin.Also another misconception is that you said you rooted then tried to flash a rom why? You only need to root your phone if you are going to stay on stock rom and use root apps and not flash custom roms. The reason is 99% of custom roms come already rooted so you can skip rooting your phone yourself.

More detail is needed so people can answer you correctly

I flashed the rom using the instructions on slimroms.net. but i think i didnt 'wipe data and cache'. the unzip thing is an example of how unstable it is. I can go recovery. But my comp is broke so i didnt get ro go to sammobile for the files. I created alot of backups with titanium but it seems they are all deleted (didnt move to another device, live and learn). Thanks for the speedy assistance. Ill try odin and sammobile tonight after work. Just figured out how to go back into recovery mode after i made this post.
9th March 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #5  

1,075 posts
You have to do a wipe data and format system as they said. Guess u didnt do both?

9th March 2014, 02:44 PM   |  #6  
Flag The Land of Android
Thanks Meter: 343

1,033 posts
More
Quote:

I flashed the rom using the instructions on slimroms.net. but i think i didnt 'wipe data and cache'. the unzip thing is an example of how unstable it is. I can go recovery. But my comp is broke so i didnt get ro go to sammobile for the files. I created alot of backups with titanium but it seems they are all deleted (didnt move to another device, live and learn). Thanks for the speedy assistance. Ill try odin and sammobile tonight after work. Just figured out how to go back into recovery mode after i made this post.

Ok... Let us know how you get on.

Also titanium only backups up system and user apps it is not a complete backup of your system for that you needed to do a nandroid backup with your recovery (if you don't know what that is there are some stickies threads explaining what it is) Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to tallman43 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 06:22 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman43

Ok... Let us know how you get on.

Also titanium only backups up system and user apps it is not a complete backup of your system for that you needed to do a nandroid backup with your recovery (if you don't know what that is there are some stickies threads explaining what it is) Good luck.

Okay. Got it. First I had to go to my slimkat settings and check root access etc, thats why nothing worked. then I kept trying to unzip the gapps folder, not knowing it had to be flashed also(stopped reading right before that in the instructions, oops). After i flashed the gapps i could get into playstore np and its running smooth. First rooting attempt alittle panicky but my s3 now has 11.01gbs of storage and all the apps i really need. Thank you both for the quick reply. Sorrying for noobing out back there. Im starting to understand alittle more. Im going to read on back-up/recovery and hopefully be rooting this Gflex on Tuesday.
Last edited by Password1; 10th March 2014 at 06:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Password1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 07:10 AM   |  #8  

1,075 posts
Good to hear ur fone is working once again

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumaqidi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread