5,815,061 Members 37,383 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sprint S3 4.3 - Some questions relating to rooting and knox.

Tip us?

theolepsy
Old
(Last edited by theolepsy; 14th March 2014 at 06:43 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Sprint S3 4.3 - Some questions relating to rooting and knox.

Hey everyone. Im relatively new to this forum and rooting. I have some background knowledge in programming and other related aspects, unfortunately nothing related to Android. As well as some Linux OS experience. Now as far as i know ROM's could be compared to OS builds. Android 4.1.2, 4.3, 4.4, etc. Rooting makes you a super user/sudo like Linux. I think i have that pretty much correct. Now for the things i know little about.
-KNOX so far it seems its mostly used for enterprises and to see if we have installed a custom ROM. I've seen a lot of different information about Knox. What exactly else does it do/change? As of 4.3 i see we could no longer roll back or we will brick our device. What should i be wary of? I could care less about tripping the knox counter.

-Stock OTA is another thing i was curious about. This simply means an update was installed post factory by user, correct? My girlfriend has an S3 and i cant remember if 4.3 was stock or 4.1.2. I just wanted to clear up if my OTA updated S3 was covered under this.

-i saw one root method which kept the stock recovery but installed the superuser. What is the benefit for having a stock recovery? Would i be able to use a custom one with Knox in place? I was thinking of using a 4.4 cyanogenmod rom.

Sorry if this seems a bit noobish, but my schedule is tight and i spent maybe 6 hours trying to find exact information. Kind of hidden lol.

I apprreciate any answers!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 691
Wrong phone and wrong forum, this is for the i9300 only.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theolepsy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ahh lol sorry could you direct me to the forum? I work nights so hopefully this eill be moved beforehand

ag4751
Old
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolepsy View Post
Ahh lol sorry could you direct me to the forum? I work nights so hopefully this eill be moved beforehand

It is here
If I have been helpful remember the Thanks button