5,604,443 Members 48,606 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock Verizon 4.1.1 s3 will not download links or files from browser. Please help!

Tip us?

chriscrisis81
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Stock Verizon 4.1.1 s3 will not download links or files from browser. Please help!

I've been having a problem downloading pictures or files from the internet. It will just constantly pop up in the notification bar as "download unsuccessful" immediately. Anyone else had this problem, know of a fix?
Sent from my Galaxy SIII using XDA-developers incredible android app

tonywilk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Downloading files from a browser on the Galaxy SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrisis81 View Post
I've been having a problem downloading pictures or files from the internet. It will just constantly pop up in the notification bar as "download unsuccessful" immediately. Anyone else had this problem, know of a fix?
Sent from my Galaxy SIII using XDA-developers incredible android app
I had exactly the same problem; trying to download .pdf files from my home server. In fact, ANY type of file just resulted in "download unsuccessful" - even a 'test.txt' file linked on a page would open in the stock browser but wouldn't download. Annoyingly, I _could_ download files from an externally-hosted website of mine.

- many hours pass as I think it's some setting on either the SIII or my Synology NAS box web server -

The Solution:
As found on several sites... use another browser!

BUT:
I tried Chrome on the SIII and it wouldn't download files either.
Looking more closely, the "download unsuccessful" notification for e.g. MyPDFfile.pdf would show as "<Untitled>" using Chrome in 'Other downloads' and "MyPDFfile" (i.e. without the .pdf extension) in 'Internet downloads' using the stock browser.

Then I tried Opera Mobile - this worked fine.
Note that Opera doesn't generate notifications and downloads don't appear in the Downloads app's lists, they just get sent to Files: /storage/sdcard0/Download.

Conclusion:
I think there's some incompatibility between some web servers and the various browsers, if you find you can't download a particular file, try another browser. However, it may be that no single browser will work all of the time.

Note:
I came across several sites suggesting clearing data and cache from several apps on the 'phone - I tried all these several times and had no success with any of them.

Yours,
TonyWilk