Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 46,798 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Strange WIFI connectivity issue...

Tip us?

asatdi
Old
(Last edited by asatdi; 10th February 2014 at 11:02 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down [Q] Strange WIFI connectivity issue...

Hey guys,

OK Ive got a strange problem with one of my Galaxy S3's!

It will not connect to some WIFI connections! It will say 'Obtaining IP address' then 'Failed to obtain IP address' and then loops itself doing the same thing over and over...?

I have two S3's and my other rooted device is fine. The one that has the problem is running a standard O2 4.3 rom (Un-rooted)

My rooted phone is also running 4.3.

Anyone experienced a similar problem? I have had this problem with 4 or 5 WIFI connections now, including my home one which is rather annoying! I have tried the obvious and rebooted my router, which hasn't helped!

Any advice welcomed!

rschalie
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by asatdi View Post
Hey guys,

OK Ive got a strange problem with one of my Galaxy S3's!

It will not connect to some WIFI connections! It will say 'Obtaining IP address' then 'Disconnect' and loop itself doing the same thing over and over...?

I have two S3's and my other rooted device is fine. The one that has the problem is running a standard O2 4.3 rom (Un-rooted)

My rooted phone is also running 4.3.

Anyone experienced a similar problem? I have had this problem with 4 or 5 WIFI connections now, including my home one which is rather annoying! I have tried the obvious and rebooted my router, which hasn't helped!

Any advice welcomed!
I've had issues with the quality of my internet connection being checked, and then the connection being killed due to "slow internet connection", even on strong Wifi networks. Solution turned out to be to uncheck the automatic network switch in the advanced Wifi settings.

asatdi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschalie View Post
I've had issues with the quality of my internet connection being checked, and then the connection being killed due to "slow internet connection", even on strong Wifi networks. Solution turned out to be to uncheck the automatic network switch in the advanced Wifi settings.
Thanks but that doesn't affect me. It just wont connect full stop

objectd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
happened to me too, sometimes its a router problem

asatdi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectd View Post
happened to me too, sometimes its a router problem
How so, when I have an identical phone sat right next to it with the same version of Android and that phone connects perfectly?

The only difference is one phone is rooted, the other is not (Both running 4.3, just different kernal number and build number)

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4418
Well wifi is a function of the kernel .