XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck in Boot Loop not able to enter download or recovery modes

Tip us?

augustorm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Stuck in Boot Loop not able to enter download or recovery modes

Ok...so flashing and rooting is not new to me. However I may have found myself in a pickle. I have an S3 that I gave to my wife. She did not like the CM nightly that I had on it. So I downloaded the original stock rom that came with it and flashed it with odin. Everything seemed fine, but on reboot, it loops. Can't get into recovery or download mode. Any Ideas. And yes....I have searched and thus far, I have found nothing that matches my scenario. I was reading somewhere where there was a sticky in the general forum about this stuff, but did not see anything.

Could use some help. I don't mind buying the wife a new phone....may do that anyway. But I have one more daughter that I could give this to if I could get it fixed.

Peace
T-Mobile Vibrant Bionix 5 w/Voodoo
T-Mobile G2x Rooted
T-Mobile S3 Cyanogenmod 10.1
T-Mobile Note 3 Rooted

krisando
Old
(Last edited by krisando; 15th April 2014 at 02:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
When you first flashed it with oden, did you flash an insecure kernel (flash recovery)?

If so, do so, then enter recovery and select factory reset & cache clean, so it may boot.

It generally happens when data is left over from a different/incompatible kernel.

http://true-android.blogspot.co.nz/2...y-6044-on.html
There's just so much love on this forum, it makes me want to cry.

augustorm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
The first time was with CM and everything was fine. I used it for around a year with CM. I did a few updates from them. Then when i used odin to flash back to original I did NOT flash a kernel separately, if that is what you are asking. The kernel came with the rom. Perhaps I don't follow. At any rate I can't do anything atm because I can't get into recovery or download modes.
T-Mobile G2x Rooted
T-Mobile Note 3 Rooted

krisando
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustorm View Post
The first time was with CM and everything was fine. I used it for around a year with CM. I did a few updates from them. Then when i used odin to flash back to original I did NOT flash a kernel separately, if that is what you are asking. The kernel came with the rom. Perhaps I don't follow. At any rate I can't do anything atm because I can't get into recovery or download modes.
To clarify, cleaning (factory reset & cache) is for the kernel, all roms for this model come with a kernel. But they are different. A CM kernel for 4.4 is not going to downgrade well to a stock 4.3 (example version) kernel, without doing this. The boot loop is a pretty common result of not doing this, happened many times when upgrading (depending on how extensive the update).
There's just so much love on this forum, it makes me want to cry.

augustorm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So how do I get into tje phone without being able to go into recovery or download modes?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
T-Mobile G2x Rooted
T-Mobile Note 3 Rooted