5,604,686 Members 36,507 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Switching to stock from CM

Tip us?

faatehhamad
Old
(Last edited by faatehhamad; 1st January 2014 at 07:56 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q]Switching to stock from CM

Hi guys, after using CM for more than 2 months on my phone I have decided to go back to stock ROM, but I have a few questions first:

1. Can I install the stock ROM on my phone without a computer?
2. Will, after installing the stock ROM, the root go away?
3. How can I backup the apps I have installed in .apk file format?
4. Does it matter what country's ROM I am installing? For example, I have an S3 bought from Saudi Arabia but I'm living in another country, and it's working fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Plain Water
Old
Thanks Meter 3
1. Yes you can. Download mobile odin from play store and download the stock firmware (. Tar) file to your phone. Then launch mobile odin and add file.
2. Yes it will

3. Use titanium backup.

4. It does not matter. But try to flash the one for the country you are living in.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Plain Water For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

faatehhamad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks.

JellyYogurt
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Water View Post
1. Yes you can. Download mobile odin from play store and download the stock firmware (. Tar) file to your phone. Then launch mobile odin and add file.
2. Yes it will

3. Use titanium backup.

4. It does not matter. But try to flash the one for the country you are living in.

Titanium back up does not back up the apps in apk format. When u restore it however, it will ask u to read thru the permissions one by one and install MANUALLY. Hassle so if most of ur apps are downloaded from google play. Sync ur google account such tat when u flash stock back, all the apps are installed automatically and then go to titanium back up and restore the missing apps and data.

Plain Water
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt View Post
Titanium back up does not back up the apps in apk format. When u restore it however, it will ask u to read thru the permissions one by one and install MANUALLY. Hassle so if most of ur apps are downloaded from google play. Sync ur google account such tat when u flash stock back, all the apps are installed automatically and then go to titanium back up and restore the missing apps and data.
Oops, my bad. But there is the pro version which enables you to back them up into update.zip format, and you can install that zip through recovery.

faatehhamad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt View Post
I'm actually looking for a way to keep the apps with me all the time (when flashing through different ROMs) so I don't have to download them all over again. I guess I'll have to use titanium backup pro to make a zip file instead. Thanks anyways!

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4406
A Nandroid backup and restore data only is one way or Titanium backup pro will restore the lot in about 15 mins and no accepting permissions .

That is for similar build roms .

faatehhamad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I have now found a way to backup apps manually. I searched for apk files using a file explorer, and found all the apps installed on my device in apk format. I simply copied the ones I wanted backed up (along with their data folders too, for those who had it) to my external SD card so I can install later when ever I want.