5,606,151 Members 35,033 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Where do I find the *.tar file in ROMs?

Tip us?

imitazion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Where do I find the *.tar file in ROMs?

Hello everybody.

After much trouble trying to update my device from 4.1.2 to 4.3, I have hit a wall.
I've downloaded Odin, Samsung drivers and some custom ROMs. But I can't find the .tar file.

I rooted my device, so I cannot recieve the update using the device itself. All my friends, who have S3's, have been updated to 4.3. I'm the only one missing.

Can any of you help me? Refer me to some sort of sticky, or give me a quick step by step on what to do?
I have browsed through all folders in the ROMs I've downloaded, but with no success. After 5 hours of browsing for info, I am close to being furious.

Thanks in advance. Everything is appreciated.

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by imitazion View Post
Hello everybody.

After much trouble trying to update my device from 4.1.2 to 4.3, I have hit a wall.
I've downloaded Odin, Samsung drivers and some custom ROMs. But I can't find the .tar file.

I rooted my device, so I cannot recieve the update using the device itself. All my friends, who have S3's, have been updated to 4.3. I'm the only one missing.

Can any of you help me? Refer me to some sort of sticky, or give me a quick step by step on what to do?
I have browsed through all folders in the ROMs I've downloaded, but with no success. After 5 hours of browsing for info, I am close to being furious.

Thanks in advance. Everything is appreciated.
If you mean official l firmwares then you should head towards Sammobile.com and find the file for your device and your region... If you have rooted and you don't want hassle with your PC and Odin 5 go to general section of s3 and there you will find zip files for those official roms with performance and battery tweaks and flash those using a custom recovery.. For getting a custom recovery the simplest method is download ROM manager and install it... Or otherwise you have. tar files for touch recoveries like cwm touch, Phil's or twrp... but if you don't want that then sammobile.com is best fit you and yes you will lose root after that...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to kunal1540 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

imitazion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal1540 View Post
If you mean official l firmwares then you should head towards Sammobile.com and find the file for your device and your region... If you have rooted and you don't want hassle with your PC and Odin 5 go to general section of s3 and there you will find zip files for those official roms with performance and battery tweaks and flash those using a custom recovery.. For getting a custom recovery the simplest method is download ROM manager and install it... Or otherwise you have. tar files for touch recoveries like cwm touch, Phil's or twrp... but if you don't want that then sammobile.com is best fit you and yes you will lose root after that...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Thank you for this. I am finally on the right track with correct rooting and recovery! I will most likely try and get a custom ROM tomorrow, if everything goes as planned. Again, thank you very much!

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4406
Faqs and guides .

STICKYS
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2344125

UNDERSTAND FIRST
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2362743

Network IMEI EFS
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2393289