5,603,981 Members 44,256 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it possible to destroy Boot Partition?

Tip us?

ceoleaders
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Is it possible to destroy Boot Partition?

Hello
I was a former owner of LG Nitro HD P930 and I was trying to unlock its ICS Bootloader (to install recovery) but ended up destroying the boot partition, getting it hard bricked. Luckily it was under warranty and technicians couldn't fix it, meaning they couldn't even find out what was wrong so I got free replacement...

Anyway, I am getting Galaxy S3 LTE soon and just wondering if the S3 's boot partition can also be destroyed by any chance. I would like to avoid making the same mistake.
Any other advice on strictly what NOT to do is also welcome.
I'm only going to install CM using the new CM Installer and that's pretty much it. No custom kernels. Nothing to do with bootloader...

kaynpayn
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoleaders View Post
Hello
I was a former owner of LG Nitro HD P930 and I was trying to unlock its ICS Bootloader (to install recovery) but ended up destroying the boot partition, getting it hard bricked. Luckily it was under warranty and technicians couldn't fix it, meaning they couldn't even find out what was wrong so I got free replacement...

Anyway, I am getting Galaxy S3 LTE soon and just wondering if the S3 's boot partition can also be destroyed by any chance. I would like to avoid making the same mistake.
Any other advice on strictly what NOT to do is also welcome.
I'm only going to install CM using the new CM Installer and that's pretty much it. No custom kernels. Nothing to do with bootloader...
Yea you can, the possibility exists. Samsung does change bootloader from time to time on the i9300 (don't follow the i9305, im going to assume it's not much different). You're not required to mess with bootloader most of the times but people do have reasons to change/not change it. All you need to have a problem with a bootloader is to fail a bootloader flash. Suppose you can even overwrite it with something else or have physical problems in your internal memory.
Afaik, there were some shady ways to reflash it back booting from an sd but i believe it's general acceptance you're screwed and will have to send the phone to service.
That said, the bootloader is small so it's flashed quickly. It's kind of rare for people have problems. /efs problems are FAR more common.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 561
i9300 bootloader is not 'locked' so you don't need to do anything to it. i9305 is similar but not exact, don't get confused.

Suggest you go read the basics in general forum, if you want to avoid bricking your new phone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.