Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,503 Members 36,667 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone encryption

Tip us?

Lowrider39
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Phone encryption

Hello All,

I am using a SGS3 with latest CM11 nightly on it. This is a company phone. They are asking now for encrypting my phone. I know there is a possibility under Settings > Security > Encrypt phone. In my opinion it is not working. I did a couple of time the following:

1. I went to Settings > Security > Encrypt phone.
2. To activate the button, I need to plug in the charger, because for the long estimated time.
3. It asked me to protect the phone with a PIN code before starting the process, I give it.
4. When I start the process of encryption I get the drawing of the little Android roboter and that's it.

In my opinion nothing happens. I can close the process with no message, nothing. The only thing what happens is, there is nothing in the notification bar after starting. Has somebody an idea what I do wrong? Now I made a factory reset and it is in the 'show roboter state' now since hours. BTW, I have a 32GB sdcard installed. Does it really take that long?

Please help me. It would be bad, if I need to remove the awesome work of Malag.

Kind regards, Andreas

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Free mobile app

Simone98RC
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Phone encryption is not working on many CM 11 devices like SGS3.

You have to read the "Known Issues for i9300" page, therefore I'm one of the few users who keep it constantly updated

Now I don't know if your phone is untouched by this buggy process, but to solve any consequent anomaly you have to do a Titanium Backup of important data (not a Nandroid backup, because it preserve the encryption!) and do a "full wipe".
Yes, a full wipe.

Then reinstall rom and everything you're needed.