Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Total Space only 4GB

OP shiggins9

23rd January 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Shanghai
Thanks Meter: 2

86 posts
More
16GB S3 i9300, Temasek CM11 Rom
I can't get the /data partition to recognize as anything other than 4GB. I've used Mega Wipe, flashed a stock 4.3 rom w Odin, wiped data, formatted data, flashed a pit file in Odin. I don't see any backups, Disk Usage only sees the partition as 4GB. I've done this all many times just to make sure.

My mmcblk0 partition says unmounted and is 7.5GB. Could this be my issue?
Last edited by shiggins9; 23rd January 2014 at 07:47 AM.
23rd January 2014, 07:31 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
Try this
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggins9

16GB S3 i9300
I can't get the /data partition to recognize as anything other than 4GB. I've used Mega Wipe, flashed a stock 4.3 rom w Odin, wiped data, formatted data, flashed a pit file in Odin. I don't see any backups, Disk Usage only sees the partition as 4GB. I've done this all many times just to make sure.

My mmcblk0 partition says unmounted and is 7.5GB. Could this be my issue?

Try this
Erase-All-Content-on-Samsung-Galaxy-S3
Im not sure about this
23rd January 2014, 12:51 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 727

3,325 posts
Flashing a pit file is a last resort on a total brick, it could have been just legacy data held when you updated from 4.1.

Try the rescue firmware, in general thread, if formatting the internal sd card didn't help.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Shanghai

86 posts
More
I tried the 4.3 Korean Rescue Firmware. Still no go. Only 4GB data partition. My phone is made in China, I'm wondering if that is why. It doesn't appear to be fake as it's taken every rom I've ever flashed to it no problem. I wish there was a little partitioning program so I could see if there's extra umounted space there. I just feel like I'm about out of options, I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe the 4.1.2 rescue rom?

Just tried 4.2.1, no go with that one either
Last edited by shiggins9; 24th January 2014 at 09:59 AM.
6th February 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #5  

25 posts
Quote:

I tried the 4.3 Korean Rescue Firmware. Still no go. Only 4GB data partition. My phone is made in China, I'm wondering if that is why. It doesn't appear to be fake as it's taken every rom I've ever flashed to it no problem. I wish there was a little partitioning program so I could see if there's extra umounted space there. I just feel like I'm about out of options, I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe the 4.1.2 rescue rom?

Just tried 4.2.1, no go with that one either

I'm dealing with the exact same issue on a SGH-T999. It's a 32GB phone but is only registering 11.95GB. When I look at mmcblk0 it says it's unmounted (see attached screenshot). I've done many of the steps you have and still no dice. Not sure where to go from here. I hope you and I get answers to our problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-06-13-52-54.png
Views:	33
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	2563219  
Last edited by halebopper; 6th February 2014 at 08:57 PM.
6th February 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Shanghai

86 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by halebopper

I'm dealing with the exact same issue on a SGH-T999. It's a 32GB phone but is only registering 11.95GB. When I look at mmcblk0 it says it's unmounted (see attached screenshot). I've done many of the steps you have and still no dice. Not sure where to go from here. I hope you and I get answer to our problem.

I flashed my phone what seemed like 100 times trying everything everyone told me to do and I gave up. My phone is only 4GB but everything works, oh well! I wasted about 100 hours messing with it and nothing can make this 16GB, or ~11GB anyway. I'm hoping to pick up a bigger SD card when I get back in the states as my 16GB is about full, too.
13th March 2014, 02:37 AM   |  #7  

25 posts
[FIXED]
Quote:

I flashed my phone what seemed like 100 times trying everything everyone told me to do and I gave up. My phone is only 4GB but everything works, oh well! I wasted about 100 hours messing with it and nothing can make this 16GB, or ~11GB anyway. I'm hoping to pick up a bigger SD card when I get back in the states as my 16GB is about full, too.

shiggins,

I finally figured this out and fixed my phone. I know you tried several things. So, let me run past you the solution that worked for me.

I located the appropriate .PIT file for my phone (S3 T999 UVDMD5). Then I flashed the stock rom with root (i.e. root66 ROM) with the PIT file. After I flashed it with the correct PIT file, I got my storage back. Have you tried this?

If you have and it didn't work, it's probably because you didn't have a good or the correct PIT file for your phone. Let me know if you want further direction and I'll do my best to assist.
13th March 2014, 05:16 AM   |  #8  
Flag The Land of Android
Thanks Meter: 359

1,112 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by halebopper

shiggins,

I finally figured this out and fixed my phone. I know you tried several things. So, let me run past you the solution that worked for me.

I located the appropriate .PIT file for my phone (S3 T999 UVDMD5). Then I flashed the stock rom with root (i.e. root66 ROM) with the PIT file. After I flashed it with the correct PIT file, I got my storage back. Have you tried this?

If you have and it didn't work, it's probably because you didn't have a good or the correct PIT file for your phone. Let me know if you want further direction and I'll do my best to assist.

I know this worked for you but I would use extreme caution here! Flashing pit files is only to be used as a last resort! ( To recover from a hard brick)...
Recommending to flash pit files when (1) Your phone is fully working apart from minor issues is very bad. or (2) When your phone is not hard bricked...It's not just you I see many posts where people just recommend flashing pit files and they don't realize the consequences Flash At Your Own Risk!!
14th March 2014, 11:52 AM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag Shanghai

86 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman43

I know this worked for you but I would use extreme caution here! Flashing pit files is only to be used as a last resort! ( To recover from a hard brick)...
Recommending to flash pit files when (1) Your phone is fully working apart from minor issues is very bad. or (2) When your phone is not hard bricked...It's not just you I see many posts where people just recommend flashing pit files and they don't realize the consequences Flash At Your Own Risk!!

I did flash a pit file a few times that said it was from a 16GB i9300 but that didn't seem to change my NAND partition size. I've pretty much given up, if I have a lot of extra time on my hands in the future, I may try this whole thing again but in the end I was unsuccessful and I'm usually very persistent in troubleshooting phone issues. Thanks for the advice, everyone, though.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
internal storage, partition, total space
Previous Thread Next Thread