5,598,233 Members 47,332 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to connect to network despite correct IMEI and serial number?

Tip us?

ianwuk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unable to connect to network despite correct IMEI and serial number?

Hello All.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 international (GT-I9300 - OS 4.0.4 - I9300DXLE8 baseband) I applied a ROM update (4.2.1) and lost signal. I then flashed again using various ROMS but nothing. I did some research about the EFS folder and using the XXEMG4 modem binary to get the IMEI number back from the generic one but now I cannot connect to any of the mobile carriers that are found. I have to admit, before I discovered the XXEMG4 issue (from a thread here) I did (mistakenly) look in to the EFS folder and I confess I most likely have messed that up and that may be the reason I cannot get a signal any further even though I can get the correct IMEI?

Is there anything I can do which would not involve sending the phone to Samsung? Flashing the stock ROM did not fix it and now, I have found, regardless of what ROM I flash, I must also flash the XXEMG4 modem as well otherwise I just get a generic IMEI number. I blame myself and my own stupidity for not reading more about the EFS system first (and not making a backup either) so I just wanted clarification that there is nothing more I can do.

To summarise:

Updated ROM and lost IMEI (generic)
Did not back up EFS folder
Flashed various ROMS - no service & generic IMEI
Flashed ROM with XXEMG4 modem
Phone IMEI is correct but still no service - emergency calls only

Ariza patch did nothing, factory reset does nothing, stock ROM does nothing.

Many thanks for your time.

RickEphraims
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Install the patched mg4 modem and all should be fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Start from beginning flash leaked firmware via odin from sammobile
Then root by cfroot
Install recovery and then flash custom recovery..
Also if u do have a backup of stock with working imei then u cn restore that if u dnt want to do the odin procedure..

ianwuk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies but I seem to have fixed it.

I restored back to stock ROM, restored EFS Backup using KTools and restarted the phone and all is well.

I am now backing the phone up completely using EFS Pro.

Many thanks.

boomboomer
Old
(Last edited by boomboomer; 18th November 2013 at 08:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 556
If you've corrupted files in the efs folder then no, there is nothing you can do yourself. The repair should not be too expensive as no hardware needed replacing.

Edit. You wrote 'didn't backup efs', but now say you've solved it by restoring your backup -which is the whole point of taking a backup before you flash anything.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Tidus32x
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwuk View Post
Thanks for the replies but I seem to have fixed it.

I restored back to stock ROM, restored EFS Backup using KTools and restarted the phone and all is well.

I am now backing the phone up completely using EFS Pro.

Many thanks.
Where can I download Ktools?

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus32x View Post
Where can I download Ktools?
Via search XDA

Tags
imei, restore, rom, sg3, update