Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,682 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] unable to enter download mode

Tip us?
 
tskjaerpe
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default [Q] unable to enter download mode

My phone is an S3 i9300. Some weeks ago I installed an XXUGMK6 Android 4.3 version. At that time I was directed to an East European site (Russian?) which had one of the first releases. Everything have worked ok until I decided to try another ROM (Slimrom). I enabled USB debugging and tried to restart the phone in download mode (Power+Home+volume down buttons) to start the rooting process. I arrive at a screen saying:

Warning!!
A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications.
If you want to download a custom OS, press the volume up key.
Otherwise, press the volume down key to cancel.

If I press the volume up key it apparantly starts downloading (text on screen: Downloading. Don't switch off your Phone). Nothing more happens even after almost 3 hours, and I have to force restart the phone.
I have tried to factory reset the phone, but it is still impossible to past the Warning!! screen.
Any suggestions on how to solve the problem are much appreciated.
 
tallman43
Old
#2  
tallman43's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 312
Posts: 883
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Land of Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskjaerpe View Post
My phone is an S3 i9300. Some weeks ago I installed an XXUGMK6 Android 4.3 version. At that time I was directed to an East European site (Russian?) which had one of the first releases. Everything have worked ok until I decided to try another ROM (Slimrom). I enabled USB debugging and tried to restart the phone in download mode (Power+Home+volume down buttons) to start the rooting process. I arrive at a screen saying:

Warning!!
A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications.
If you want to download a custom OS, press the volume up key.
Otherwise, press the volume down key to cancel.

If I press the volume up key it apparantly starts downloading (text on screen: Downloading. Don't switch off your Phone). Nothing more happens even after almost 3 hours, and I have to force restart the phone.
I have tried to factory reset the phone, but it is still impossible to past the Warning!! screen.
Any suggestions on how to solve the problem are much appreciated.
Sorry litttle confused by your post

First thing first you do not need to root your phone to install a custom rom they come already rooted...Second thing you do not install custom roms in download mode you flash them via a custom recovery such as PhilZ recovery,Twrp or Cwm recovery.

Are you saying you are stuck in download mode? If so did you pull the battery?

(1) First rule of flashing roms BACK UP YOU EFS!!
(2) 2nd Rule of flashing roms SEE 1ST RULE!!

(3) EFS Issue look here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...uding-t2393289
(4) Rescue Firmware look here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...35&postcount=6
 
boomboomer
Old
#3  
boomboomer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 2,996
Join Date: Jun 2010
Op is missing most of the basic knowledge from sticky thread in general forum, suggest he go read all the posts before doing anything else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

 
terje@skjaerpe.com
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman43 View Post
Sorry litttle confused by your post

First thing first you do not need to root your phone to install a custom rom they come already rooted...Second thing you do not install custom roms in download mode you flash them via a custom recovery such as PhilZ recovery,Twrp or Cwm recovery.

Are you saying you are stuck in download mode? If so did you pull the battery?
Thank you for such a prompt replay. Sorry for the double posting. You probably already guessed that I am a little confused, too.
Well, my chain of thoughts was that since I didn't have a custom recovery installed, I had to boot in download mode to install it with Odin. Then I planned to boot to recovery to flash the SlimKat ROM.

I am now embarrassed to realize that when I arrived at the "Downloading... Don't switch off your Phone" screen, and didn't know how to proceed, the phone was, in fact, in download mode. I didn't notice the very small, red letters in the upper left corner saying "Odin mode". Things are a lot clearer to me now, and I have successfully flashed the ROM. I hope you are a little bit less confused, too.

Could I spend just a little more of your time? The reason for using the SlimKat ROM was to speed up the rather laggy Galaxy i9300. Do you have an idea which ROM would serve that purpose best?
 
tallman43
Old
#5  
tallman43's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 312
Posts: 883
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Land of Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by terje@skjaerpe.com View Post
Thank you for such a prompt replay. Sorry for the double posting. You probably already guessed that I am a little confused, too.
Well, my chain of thoughts was that since I didn't have a custom recovery installed, I had to boot in download mode to install it with Odin. Then I planned to boot to recovery to flash the SlimKat ROM.

I am now embarrassed to realize that when I arrived at the "Downloading... Don't switch off your Phone" screen, and didn't know how to proceed, the phone was, in fact, in download mode. I didn't notice the very small, red letters in the upper left corner saying "Odin mode". Things are a lot clearer to me now, and I have successfully flashed the ROM. I hope you are a little bit less confused, too.

Could I spend just a little more of your time? The reason for using the SlimKat ROM was to speed up the rather laggy Galaxy i9300. Do you have an idea which ROM would serve that purpose best?
Glad you sorted it .Like @boomboomer said try to do a little bit more research before attempting any sort of software change on your phone one little mistake can turn into a big problem.

Unfortunately I can't give any advice on which rom is fastest/best because that kind of post is not allowed on Xda and they will close the thread..Only thing I can suggest is read the user reports in the different rom threads and basically try them out because each user as a different opinion on each rom..Good luck.

(1) First rule of flashing roms BACK UP YOU EFS!!
(2) 2nd Rule of flashing roms SEE 1ST RULE!!

(3) EFS Issue look here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...uding-t2393289
(4) Rescue Firmware look here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...35&postcount=6
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes