Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,440 Members 50,857 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unrooted, stock and soft-bricked(??) after official OTA update - is there a way?

Tip us?

WezToWylacz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sign [Q] Unrooted, stock and soft-bricked(??) after official OTA update - is there a way?

hi,
For a day now I've been trying to figure out the way around my problem and I couldn't. But I'm just a beginner, I hope you guys can help.

short version: After official OTA update my stock, unrooted GT-I9300 boots only until one of the logo screens. I want badly to keep apps data, especially sms'es and voice recorder files. Downloading the update via KIES in download mode repeats update procedure but then again the boot ends on samsung logo screen (the one with just 'samsung' letters if that matters).

longer version: I've been using stock ROM forever and lived happily with stock ROM on Android 4.3 (except for laaags) Yesterday I went to check if an update is available - it was, so I downloaded it. It was all fine, I got to 'optimizing app 222/222' screen then the phone rebooted. It went through GT-I9300 screen, carrier screen, and in the end it stuck on pulsing LED and letters on the screen: 'SAMSUNG'. And now it happens each time I turn the phone on. I can still go to download mode easily and to recovery mode too.
I've reinstalled the update used KIES (2.6.3.14044_14) with the phone in download mode but that gets me to the same place (optimizes all 222 aps, reboots and hangs up at the same sceen).

Is there a way to have this fixed while keeping apps data?
this thread gives me hope there is, since there are 'NO WIPE' files, but sadly this one is only for US Verizon, not international..
(as a newb I can't post links but it's there) - s3forums site, thread galaxy-s3-hacking-mods/3292-guide-unbrick-restore-your-galaxy-s3-back-100-stock

my device:
Samsung Galaxy S III GT-I9300 (International), carrier - Orange Poland
Android 4.3, no root, Stock ROM

shivadow
Old
Thanks Meter 29
There is a good chance you only need to factory reset the phone but in that you will lose your data. You can try odin and flashing the latest stock rom for your phone (orange poland). Do not flash any other carrier, do not do anything with a pit file. Do not attempt to go back to the old firmware unless it was an earlier 4.3.

Get your carrier update from samsung updates and a copy of odin.

Put your phone in download mode via vol down +home +power and then connect it to the pc on a usb cable

Open odin, click "ap" or "pda" (same button, different versions) and select your poland orange 4.3 rom and then click "start".

Wait until the phone fully reboots and odin says "pass". Disconnect the phone.

This shouldn't wipe data but if this doesn't work then you have to bite the bullet and factory reset.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to shivadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WezToWylacz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
thanks. I tried various firmwares - branded and non-branded, current and a previous one (but also 4.3) - but I still got locked on the same screen. After factory reset it stayed on the very same screen for a minute, but then it came back to life.