Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 38,991 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I upgrade i9300 4.1.2 rooted to Carbon rom 4.4.2 using just mobile Odin pro?

Tip us?

freedomIndia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking [Q] Can I upgrade i9300 4.1.2 rooted to Carbon rom 4.4.2 using just mobile Odin pro?

Mine is an i9300 rooted and running 4.1.2
I have downloaded the carbon rom 4.4,2 meant for i9300 and also the gapps to the phone' sd card,
Can I upgrade the phone via mobile Odin pro only? I don't have access to a PC or a mac.
Or is it better to go via CMWM?
Don't want to mess up my only phone

xpmode
Old
Thanks Meter 318
You can flash Philz through Mobile Odin and then flash the ROM through Philz.

Samsung Galaxy S III 16 GB White(again, so bored of Samsung)

Old:
HTC Explorer
Galaxy Note II 16 GB
Samsung Galaxy S III 32 GB White

The Following User Says Thank You to xpmode For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freedomIndia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Service Mobile Odin wants to wipe data and cache

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpmode View Post
You can flash Philz through Mobile Odin and then flash the ROM through Philz.
Mobile Odin wants to wipe data and cache, plus wipe dalvik cache to install philz touch recovery.
Is that ok to do so? I made nandroid backup thru cwm recovery.

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 347
No need to flash through mobile odin...
There are flashable zips available for Phil's... you can just flash those through your current recovery..
And I would suggest change your modem to any modem after mg4...
Installing an aosp ROM would not affect anything related to modem but if you do flash any Samsung rom then that would be necessary...

Sent from my GT-I9300

freedomIndia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Was able to update to philz recovery and did a new nandroid backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal1540 View Post
No need to flash through mobile odin...
There are flashable zips available for Phil's... you can just flash those through your current recovery..
And I would suggest change your modem to any modem after mg4...
Installing an aosp ROM would not affect anything related to modem but if you do flash any Samsung rom then that would be necessary...

Sent from my GT-I9300
Thanks for the suggestion. Flashed philz through CWM recovery.
Now should I use Mobile Odin pro to install 4.2.2 carbon or just through philz itself?
Seems Odin pro gives me ability to inject super user on install. Philz doesn't give me any such option.
What would you recommend?

whatsgood
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomIndia View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Flashed philz through CWM recovery.
Now should I use Mobile Odin pro to install 4.2.2 carbon or just through philz itself?
Seems Odin pro gives me ability to inject super user on install. Philz doesn't give me any such option.
What would you recommend?
Actually I think Philz does allow you to flash root .I remember seeing the option in advanced or philz settings I think. You can then go on to download SuperSU from market and it will work fine

freedomIndia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Don't have a PC or mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgood View Post
Actually I think Philz does allow you to flash root .I remember seeing the option in advanced or philz settings I think. You can then go on to download SuperSU from market and it will work fine
Is the carbon rom pre rooted? Else I would have to depend on Odin to prerogative it for me.

tallman43
Old
Thanks Meter 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomIndia View Post
Is the carbon rom pre rooted? Else I would have to depend on Odin to prerogative it for me.
99% of custom roms are rooted you only have to root your device if you are on stock rom and not planning on flashing custom roms but want to install root apps

(1) First rule of flashing roms BACK UP YOU EFS!!
(2) 2nd Rule of flashing roms SEE 1ST RULE!!

(3) EFS Issue look here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...uding-t2393289
(4) Rescue Firmware look here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...35&postcount=6
The Following User Says Thank You to tallman43 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freedomIndia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman43 View Post
99% of custom roms are rooted you only have to root your device if you are on stock rom and not planning on flashing custom roms but want to install root apps
Thank you for clarifying that. Will update tomorrow on how the upgrade went. Appreciate your help.