Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Can I upgrade i9300 4.1.2 rooted to Carbon rom 4.4.2 using just mobile Odin pro?

OP freedomIndia

8th March 2014, 05:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Mine is an i9300 rooted and running 4.1.2
I have downloaded the carbon rom 4.4,2 meant for i9300 and also the gapps to the phone' sd card,
Can I upgrade the phone via mobile Odin pro only? I don't have access to a PC or a mac.
Or is it better to go via CMWM?
Don't want to mess up my only phone
8th March 2014, 06:29 AM   |  #2  
xpmode's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 323
 
616 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
You can flash Philz through Mobile Odin and then flash the ROM through Philz.
The Following User Says Thank You to xpmode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2014, 10:42 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Service Mobile Odin wants to wipe data and cache
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpmode

You can flash Philz through Mobile Odin and then flash the ROM through Philz.

Mobile Odin wants to wipe data and cache, plus wipe dalvik cache to install philz touch recovery.
Is that ok to do so? I made nandroid backup thru cwm recovery.
8th March 2014, 12:19 PM   |  #4  
kunal1540's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag City of oranges
Thanks Meter: 356
 
751 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
No need to flash through mobile odin...
There are flashable zips available for Phil's... you can just flash those through your current recovery..
And I would suggest change your modem to any modem after mg4...
Installing an aosp ROM would not affect anything related to modem but if you do flash any Samsung rom then that would be necessary...

Sent from my GT-I9300
8th March 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Smile Was able to update to philz recovery and did a new nandroid backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal1540

No need to flash through mobile odin...
There are flashable zips available for Phil's... you can just flash those through your current recovery..
And I would suggest change your modem to any modem after mg4...
Installing an aosp ROM would not affect anything related to modem but if you do flash any Samsung rom then that would be necessary...

Sent from my GT-I9300

Thanks for the suggestion. Flashed philz through CWM recovery.
Now should I use Mobile Odin pro to install 4.2.2 carbon or just through philz itself?
Seems Odin pro gives me ability to inject super user on install. Philz doesn't give me any such option.
What would you recommend?
8th March 2014, 05:38 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
94 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomIndia

Thanks for the suggestion. Flashed philz through CWM recovery.
Now should I use Mobile Odin pro to install 4.2.2 carbon or just through philz itself?
Seems Odin pro gives me ability to inject super user on install. Philz doesn't give me any such option.
What would you recommend?

Actually I think Philz does allow you to flash root .I remember seeing the option in advanced or philz settings I think. You can then go on to download SuperSU from market and it will work fine
8th March 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Don't have a PC or mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgood

Actually I think Philz does allow you to flash root .I remember seeing the option in advanced or philz settings I think. You can then go on to download SuperSU from market and it will work fine

Is the carbon rom pre rooted? Else I would have to depend on Odin to prerogative it for me.
8th March 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #8  
tallman43's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The Land of Android
Thanks Meter: 372
 
1,155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomIndia

Is the carbon rom pre rooted? Else I would have to depend on Odin to prerogative it for me.

99% of custom roms are rooted you only have to root your device if you are on stock rom and not planning on flashing custom roms but want to install root apps
The Following User Says Thank You to tallman43 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Thumbs up Thank you all
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman43

99% of custom roms are rooted you only have to root your device if you are on stock rom and not planning on flashing custom roms but want to install root apps

Thank you for clarifying that. Will update tomorrow on how the upgrade went. Appreciate your help.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes