5,604,050 Members 47,101 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] No Volume Up Button - What Issues Will I Have?

Tip us?

meulsie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] No Volume Up Button - What Issues Will I Have?

Hi guys,

I have been reading up a lot about rooting and loading a customer recovery and looking at putting a 4.4 CM11 ROM on my S3 I9305.

What I haven't been able to determine is if I can do this without the volume up button at all. My volume up button doesn't work (this is a hardware issue) and I know that to do some things like enter download mode/recovery etc. requires pressing of the volume up button.

As my volume up button doesn't work is there some way I can do all of the above without it? Maybe through software running on a PC, or ADB etc?

Currently I'm running stock unrooted 4.1.2 and haven't done anything to my phone yet

Thanks.

SnowPluralism
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1340
Without vol up u cannot enter recovert ... theres always adb and apps to help u but if u get stuck in bootloop or even at boot u are in problems because u will not be able to boot to recovery

And even if u enter in download mode u still need vol up to confirm choyce ... sorry mate i dont like give bad news

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk
XDA Developers Recognized Contributor

meulsie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver3go View Post
Without vol up u cannot enter recovert ... theres always adb and apps to help u but if u get stuck in bootloop or even at boot u are in problems because u will not be able to boot to recovery

And even if u enter in download mode u still need vol up to confirm choyce ... sorry mate i dont like give bad news

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk
Thanks Ver3go, but technically there is software/methods to be able to do it without having to use the volume up button?

Jaskaran498
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by meulsie View Post
Thanks Ver3go, but technically there is software/methods to be able to do it without having to use the volume up button?
That is only if your phone switches on to launcher completely.
If you get stuck in boot loop or trouble like that..........theres no escape

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4406
Quote:

Yes if you have a rom with advanced power menu .

Bootloop way out would be buy USB Recovery Jig boot to download mode and flash stock rom .

meulsie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hmm, ok thanks for the info. I think I might take a look at giving it a shot and just hope I don't get into boot loop!!

meulsie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Just in case anyone finds this useful for future reference I ended up not having any problem with doing this with adb and installing TWRP as my recovery. Once that was done it's been pretty simple, have flashed multiple different Roms with no issues as long as you have root then getting into recovery is a piece of cake
The Following User Says Thank You to meulsie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Geekboy26
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Just in case anyone finds this useful for future reference I ended up not having any problem with doing this with adb and installing TWRP as my recovery. Once that was done it's been pretty simple, have flashed multiple different Roms with no issues as long as you have root then getting into recovery is a piece of cake
Thanks for the feedback.