Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,406 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Want to change everything about my phone without actually changing phones...

Tip us?

notalocalpeople
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Want to change everything about my phone without actually changing phones...

So here's my problem: I bought my SGS3 in China (CHU firmware)but it doesn't come stock with Google Play Store and a bunch of bloatware I can't even read, Every time I update my firmware (KIES/OTA) i lose my root and all my Google apps. And now I cannot install Gapps on the new 4.3 CHU firmware (recovery gives me error). I'd like to switch to a different firmware that has Google apps native to it. I tired Cyanogenmod for a time but missed some of the features that the Samsung stock firmwares provided. I've also heard about a leaked BTU firmware from the UK that sounds appealing but every time I try to flash (via Odin) it fails. I've also heard that I would need to change my CSC in order to use Kies with a new firmware but my phone only has a single CSC and errors out every time I try to change the CSC. Now quite sure how to proceed.Everything on my phone is in English but sometimes the Chinese still come through ie. error message and even the prompts to get into download mode.

So, does anyone have experience completely changing a phone from one country to another, firmware and all? What about the problems installing Gapps, any ideas?

Help, please!

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by notalocalpeople View Post
So here's my problem: I bought my SGS3 in China (CHU firmware)but it doesn't come stock with Google Play Store and a bunch of bloatware I can't even read, Every time I update my firmware (KIES/OTA) i lose my root and all my Google apps. And now I cannot install Gapps on the new 4.3 CHU firmware (recovery gives me error). I'd like to switch to a different firmware that has Google apps native to it. I tired Cyanogenmod for a time but missed some of the features that the Samsung stock firmwares provided. I've also heard about a leaked BTU firmware from the UK that sounds appealing but every time I try to flash (via Odin) it fails. I've also heard that I would need to change my CSC in order to use Kies with a new firmware but my phone only has a single CSC and errors out every time I try to change the CSC. Now quite sure how to proceed.Everything on my phone is in English but sometimes the Chinese still come through ie. error message and even the prompts to get into download mode.

So, does anyone have experience completely changing a phone from one country to another, firmware and all? What about the problems installing Gapps, any ideas?

Help, please!
You can flash stock ROMs compiled by different devs which are deodexed and prerooted(with supersu as system app) and with some performance tweaks like init.d support etc..go to s3 general section and you can find those compiled zip files flashable thru any custom recovery.. But follow the instructions given to flash it and done...you will have the best stock experience and that too which you can customise and with performance and battery tweaks..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to kunal1540 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]