Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wifi settings for min. battery consumption

Tip us?

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4,420
Settings WiFi on always .

WiFi / mobile data not in use or not required = turned off via toggles .

jje

Animor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
But I do want data during the night - for example for whatsapp, emails and so on. So turning both off is not an option for me.

- On one hand, people here say to set wifi, but "never" during sleep. But that means to use only 3g during the night, doesn't it? Or I'm missing something here?
- On the other hand, 3G costs more than wifi in terms of battery.

So I don't understand how these two go together.

komjin
Old
Thanks Meter 226
I have set to "Always" so the device have not to reconnect when unlocking screen, what drains battery imho.
But in the night I set flight mode on cause I want and need to sleep and don't need new SMS or Whatsapp or calls

Animor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animor View Post
But I do want data during the night - for example for whatsapp, emails and so on. So turning both off is not an option for me.

- On one hand, people here say to set wifi, but "never" during sleep. But that means to use only 3g during the night, doesn't it? Or I'm missing something here?
- On the other hand, 3G costs more than wifi in terms of battery.

So I don't understand how these two go together.
Can someone clarify this for me please?

vasp3690
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Default Re: [Q] Wifi settings for min. battery consumption

3g doesn't cost more in terms of battery so long as you have a very good signal. If you don't or if for some reason the network has a problem then it will drain the battery.

What I recently started using is a program called ds battery saver which toggles wifi or 3g periodically depending on what you set it up for so that you do get night time data but not on all the time. That helps with battery