Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,507 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Windows 7 "SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device" failed installation

Tip us?

Geoff.Costello
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Question [Q] Windows 7 "SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device" failed installation

Hi

For some reason I am now getting a Driver Installation Failure error for my S3 when I plug it in to USB on Windows 7. The driver is SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device, which fails after a long (3 minute or so) install attempt.

This means I can't access the Phone via USB for file tranfers etc, either Windows Explorer or Keis. Though I can use ODIN to Flash if I put the Phone in Debug Mode.

I have tried all sorts. Un-installing the Samsung Drivers, rebooting and reinstalling, and getting Kies to try a driver repair.

It wasn't like this when I started with the phone. Something changed - after I rooted it. I am currently on the Omega ROM 6.0 with standard kernel. For a while I was on 5.1 with Syloa 1.1 and then 1.26. I realized it was wrong when I couldn't copy Omega 6.0 ROM ZIP over to Flash.

I have searched and searched. This seems to have happened to other phones as well but be intermittent. A few other phone on XDA have reported this in the last couple of weeks (so maybe a Microsoft change to Windows 7?)

As a weird related issue sometimes when I plug the Phone into WIndows now I get two removable drives showing, which are "Samsung USB Gadgets" using a 2006 Microsoft Driver... They show as removable drives with no drive in them. Again all my tricks of disabling uninstalling, re-installing etc these seem to make no difference.

Anyway - any ideas / fixes help appreciated!!!

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Geoff.Costello For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rohan999
Old
Thanks Meter 34
So here is the cure. First connect your phone to your pc. Now right click my computer and select manage. Go to device manager and expand the universal serial bus controllers tab. Now you should see something like unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark. Right click it and select uninstall. Now reconnect your phone and try it.

Now again check in device manager after installation. It should look like the one in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	26221
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1149951  
Devices:
Galaxy S3
Nokia Lumia 610
Micromax Funbook
Xperia z
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rohan999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rizzo1001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I've got the same issue; can't get the MTP drivers to work on my Win 7 machine or my work XP box. Both had the Galaxy nexus drivers on them previously (I think, came from ICS Captivate).

pruhster
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Are you sure USB debbuging is unchecked in settings?

If that's not the problem, you could try a different pc or os (a live ubunt cd for instance) to see whether it's the phone or the computer thats messed up.

rizzo1001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Fresh windows 7 install and still nothing. Could the phone be messed up?

-NT
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Have you tried a different USB port?

rizzo1001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Yeah tried all the ports/cables I've got lying around. In safe mode it will install everything okay but Kies still won't connect. :/

fredphoesh
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff.Costello View Post
Hi
It wasn't like this when I started with the phone. Something changed - after I rooted it. I am currently on the Omega ROM 6.0 with standard kernel.
Same here!
I also have Omega ROM 6.0 but the problem started BEFORE Omega ROM.
Did you also back up your efs folder using SGS Toolkit 2.0?
I seem to have had the problem after flashing the "insecure image" which one has to do using the SGS Toolkit in order to backup efs.

Ive also uninstalled and reinstalled pretty much EVERYTHING, drivers, Kies, SGSToolkit etc...

I have 5 pc's at home. ALL of them cannot connect to my SGS3, and ALL could connect to my SGS2 a couple of days ago!

tx
Mark.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan999 View Post
So here is the cure. First connect your phone to your pc. Now right click my computer and select manage. Go to device manager and expand the universal serial bus controllers tab. Now you should see something like unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark. Right click it and select uninstall. Now reconnect your phone and try it.
Thanks, but process does not work in this case. Not on 5 PC's in my house.
BTW Kies by WIFI seems to work, but it is obviously very limited...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nexus 5 stock < SGS4 9505 < Sony XperiaZ < SGS3-LTE < SGS3 < SGS2 <- SGS <- iPhone 4 (3 weeks) <- HTC Hero <- HTC Touch HD <- N95
& NEXUS 10 - 4.3 JWR66Y
Windows 8.1

rjnolberto83
Old
(Last edited by overground; 26th June 2012 at 01:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up Try this

This worked for me follow link
http://tomshardware.com/forum/242140...stalled-please

fredphoesh
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnolberto83 View Post
This worked for me follow link
tomshardware.com/forum/242140-44-device-refuses-installed-please[/url]
hi link does not work
it takes me to toms home page...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nexus 5 stock < SGS4 9505 < Sony XperiaZ < SGS3-LTE < SGS3 < SGS2 <- SGS <- iPhone 4 (3 weeks) <- HTC Hero <- HTC Touch HD <- N95
& NEXUS 10 - 4.3 JWR66Y
Windows 8.1