Originally Posted by yeahman45
Hi, I can get a deal offer for the s3 at the price of $233. But I have some questions
- Is it still worth getting the galaxy s3 in 2014?
- WIll it get official android L from samsung (there is already official kitkat right?)
- if there's no official android L, does it have official Cyanogenmod support and so will it get android L cyanogenmod?
- for future android L custom roms , will there be problems with some drivers? (e.g. my htc desure never got proper camera support on android 4.X roms as the drivers are not available). Are all drivers(and source code) released by samsung for the s3?
- how does it compare with the galaxy s4? is the latter worth the price difference
- how is camera (important for me) as compared to smarphones in the same price range available today (e.g. xperia sp, galaxy s4 mini)
thx for your time reading my long list of questions and waiting your replies and suggestions guys. Thx
1) Absolutely no for the only 1 GB of RAM.
Actually on Amazon is very sold its Neo variant with 1,5 GB, but according to me it's a madness: a newer hardware is highly preferable and x64 architecture is coming.
2) Absolutely no and you are wrong: no KitKat official support for S3, why it should be extended to Android L? It's impossible!
3) Yes, it's promised by Cyanogen team, but never more the bull**** did with CM 10.2, working of course on a stable rom to switch to CM 11 nightlies as soon as possible.
When CM 11 stable is released, you can stay on CM 12 nightlies.
4) Samsung drivers are already released for custom rom, except for the 2-way call recording.
CyanogenMod prefers to use the hybrid and open source drivers, but with a specific BOEFFLA kernel, actually experimental, you can get the official and proprietary drivers, much better than first.
5) Galaxy S4 is obviously greater than S3 under any aspect, its price is about €300-350.
6) S3 has an excellent camera, but in AOSP roms it's not provided of a good stabilization, so pictures are a bit more moving than in stock rom.