FORUMS

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

[Q] is it still worth getting the galaxy s3 in 2014?

1,330 posts
Thanks Meter: 74
 
By yeahman45, Senior Member on 24th August 2014, 07:37 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi, I can get a deal offer for the s3 at the price of $233. But I have some questions
  1. Is it still worth getting the galaxy s3 in 2014?
  2. WIll it get official android L from samsung (there is already official kitkat right?)
  3. if there's no official android L, does it have official Cyanogenmod support and so will it get android L cyanogenmod?
  4. for future android L custom roms , will there be problems with some drivers? (e.g. my htc desure never got proper camera support on android 4.X roms as the drivers are not available). Are all drivers(and source code) released by samsung for the s3?
  5. how does it compare with the galaxy s4? is the latter worth the price difference
  6. how is camera (important for me) as compared to smarphones in the same price range available today (e.g. xperia sp, galaxy s4 mini)

thx for your time reading my long list of questions and waiting your replies and suggestions guys. Thx
 
 
24th August 2014, 08:12 AM |#2  
boomboomer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 822
 
More
No, no and no, yes and unlikely, yes and no, s4 is better but not by much, camera is good but only on stock rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 08:16 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
is camera bad on custom roms? and there's no cyanogenmod official support?
24th August 2014, 09:44 AM |#4  
Member
Flag Reggio Calabria
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahman45

Hi, I can get a deal offer for the s3 at the price of $233. But I have some questions

  1. Is it still worth getting the galaxy s3 in 2014?
  2. WIll it get official android L from samsung (there is already official kitkat right?)
  3. if there's no official android L, does it have official Cyanogenmod support and so will it get android L cyanogenmod?
  4. for future android L custom roms , will there be problems with some drivers? (e.g. my htc desure never got proper camera support on android 4.X roms as the drivers are not available). Are all drivers(and source code) released by samsung for the s3?
  5. how does it compare with the galaxy s4? is the latter worth the price difference
  6. how is camera (important for me) as compared to smarphones in the same price range available today (e.g. xperia sp, galaxy s4 mini)

thx for your time reading my long list of questions and waiting your replies and suggestions guys. Thx

1) Absolutely no for the only 1 GB of RAM.
Actually on Amazon is very sold its Neo variant with 1,5 GB, but according to me it's a madness: a newer hardware is highly preferable and x64 architecture is coming.

2) Absolutely no and you are wrong: no KitKat official support for S3, why it should be extended to Android L? It's impossible!

3) Yes, it's promised by Cyanogen team, but never more the bull**** did with CM 10.2, working of course on a stable rom to switch to CM 11 nightlies as soon as possible.
When CM 11 stable is released, you can stay on CM 12 nightlies.

4) Samsung drivers are already released for custom rom, except for the 2-way call recording.
CyanogenMod prefers to use the hybrid and open source drivers, but with a specific BOEFFLA kernel, actually experimental, you can get the official and proprietary drivers, much better than first.

5) Galaxy S4 is obviously greater than S3 under any aspect, its price is about 300-350.

6) S3 has an excellent camera, but in AOSP roms it's not provided of a good stabilization, so pictures are a bit more moving than in stock rom.
24th August 2014, 09:49 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Yup I know there are better hardware (obviously.. it is 2 yrs old) but for the price of $233 is it worth it? I don't want to spend more than $300 on a phone.
24th August 2014, 09:53 AM |#6  
Member
Flag Reggio Calabria
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahman45

Yup I know there are better hardware (obviously.. it is 2 yrs old) but for the price of $233 is it worth it? I don't want to spend more than $300 on a phone.

LG G Pro Lite [emoji106]
The Following User Says Thank You to Simone98RC For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 10:28 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone98RC

LG G Pro Lite [emoji106]

will check this out... if the community of custom roms is active (but 5.5" is a bit too big for me and i hope it has sdcard and removable battery)

edit: are you sure it is better than the S3? looking at the specs, it does not look that great and it's a mediatek cpu ... )
24th August 2014, 02:14 PM |#8  
Member
Flag Reggio Calabria
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahman45

will check this out... if the community of custom roms is active (but 5.5" is a bit too big for me and i hope it has sdcard and removable battery)

edit: are you sure it is better than the S3? looking at the specs, it does not look that great and it's a mediatek cpu ... )

I don't know the Mediatek reputation, LG G Pro under many aspects is the ideal phone for your budget.
On Amazon.it its price is about 250, I think less on a bigger store such Amazon US or DE.

As me you want to root the device and flash a custom rom... LG is the only trademark who guarantee warranty also under root permissions.
25th August 2014, 10:10 AM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Please can someone get me the quaraqumus QS-i9300-KK-v2.6 resumable link
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes