Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 46,662 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Something wrong with gaming.

Tip us?

AssassinGEO
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227
Default [Q] Something wrong with gaming.

Hey folks , I got some strange problems with my phone here.

So,what's my story about. My gaming performance just suddenly got bad. Before,I was on official 4.3 with everything stock and games ran flawlessly. Then I flashed AOSP ROM and everything still worked as it should (games didn't lag) and I was on AOSP for more than 4 months.
Now,I flashed back stock sammy-based ROM , and only after 4 days,I noticed that gaming performance is really bad.

Let's start from the fact that only god knows what I've done with my phone today to fix that, but I was unsucsessful. I changed ROMs,kernels,tweaked my phone,overclocked it,but nothing , games still lag like hell. Real Racing 3 has BIG fps drops,dead trigger 2 (low) has some lag spikes and some fps drops,too. Now I downloaded modern combat 4 and it was unplayable! I haven't flashed stock with odin,as my computer doesn't read my phone in download mode (again!),so I'm lazy to do it on other computer. But still thinking of that. Maybe at least very official ROM is the last hope.

So,can anyone help me? This is the first problem which I can't fix and that's bothering me,though I already got used to fact that now I may have to live without gaming,lol. Not a big problem,as for now. But really? What can be the cause? What's wrong with my phone? Why is UI smooth,why can't I see any lag when watching HD videos and etc, but games lag so badly? Look how good my score in antutu is (no overclocking,cpu and gpu - everything stock):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-06-23-53-38.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2729493  
You could always press "Thanks" button,right?

shivadow
Old
(Last edited by shivadow; 7th May 2014 at 05:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 29
If you are using a custom kernel disable zram. Real racing 3 will lag when offers are loaded at the title screen. If you get lag in game then you have something else going on.

System panel on the playstore can help you see what is going on. Also disable dvfs with the xposed module as that causes issues with overclocked devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to shivadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AssassinGEO
Old
(Last edited by AssassinGEO; 7th May 2014 at 12:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivadow View Post
If you are using a custom kernel disable zram. Real racing 3 will lag when offers are loaded at thebtitle screen. If you get lag in game then you have something else going on.

System panel on the playstore can help you see what is going on. Also disable dvfs with the xposed module as that causes issues with overclocked devices.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
I'm not overclocked.

Btw,will try and report back. Thanks!

EDIT: Helped partially,like 20%,but still lags,just less fps drop downs. Thanks for trying to help!
Anyone else. Would like to fix this issue.

AssassinGEO
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227
No one?

flither
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I have similar problem (just posted a help thread about it), in my case it's thermal throttling which is scaling down CPU to 800MHz after 5 mins of playing heavy games. try running CPU analyzer from System Tuner and check if that's the problem.

Brick: Samsung Galaxy S III Metallic Blue 32 GB
ROM: SleatRom 7.0 Official(KK 4.4.4)
Kernel: latest Boeffla

My final CPU UV:
Freq...1600....1400....1300....1200....1100....1000... .900....800....700....600....500....400....300.... 200
mV.....1213...1100....1050....1000.....963......925. ....888....863....825....800....775....725....700. ...663
UV......-138...-150.....-150.....-138.....-138.....-113.....-113...-100...-125...-138...-138...-175...-200....-225

monstersghost
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinGEO View Post
Hey folks , I got some strange problems with my phone here.

So,what's my story about. My gaming performance just suddenly got bad. Before,I was on official 4.3 with everything stock and games ran flawlessly. Then I flashed AOSP ROM and everything still worked as it should (games didn't lag) and I was on AOSP for more than 4 months.
Now,I flashed back stock sammy-based ROM , and only after 4 days,I noticed that gaming performance is really bad.

Let's start from the fact that only god knows what I've done with my phone today to fix that, but I was unsucsessful. I changed ROMs,kernels,tweaked my phone,overclocked it,but nothing , games still lag like hell. Real Racing 3 has BIG fps drops,dead trigger 2 (low) has some lag spikes and some fps drops,too. Now I downloaded modern combat 4 and it was unplayable! I haven't flashed stock with odin,as my computer doesn't read my phone in download mode (again!),so I'm lazy to do it on other computer. But still thinking of that. Maybe at least very official ROM is the last hope.

So,can anyone help me? This is the first problem which I can't fix and that's bothering me,though I already got used to fact that now I may have to live without gaming,lol. Not a big problem,as for now. But really? What can be the cause? What's wrong with my phone? Why is UI smooth,why can't I see any lag when watching HD videos and etc, but games lag so badly? Look how good my score in antutu is (no overclocking,cpu and gpu - everything stock):
Sometimes the games lag but not like u mentioned.. If u want a stock 4.3 that is flashable via recovery and you can have great performance then i have one.. I really have and own it
Here is the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...1/post52483316