[DEV][PORTING]Linux 3.4.x/3.10.x/3.12.x Kernel for I9300

1st: Which kernel version should I/we port? 2nd: Of what should it be based?

• 3.4.x Kernel

Votes: 165 54.8%
  • 3.10.x or 3.12.x

Votes: 148 49.2%
  • CAF sources

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Google's sources

Votes: 40 13.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

iJo09

Aug 1, 2011
Any news on the kernel development?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

skim0322

Jul 4, 2011
Just asking out of ignorance. Is this even possible without Samsung's help? And how would the latest linux kernel benefit performance of the phone and in what way?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Sepp-Wurzel

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
I have started updating my kernel to 3.4 meanwhile. It's a wip since I am committing every single commit of the most important sub systems by hand. Maybe further updates are going to be easier, as the conflicts with Samsung source are already fixed then.
If you want to see a difference in performance (if any), you can try my kernel from my thread. First the one in the op (not much 3.4 stuff) and then the one from the end of my thread (much more 3.4)

Gesendet von meinem Note II mit Tapatalk 2

LeJolly

May 29, 2013
I have started updating my kernel to 3.4 meanwhile. It's a wip since I am committing every single commit of the most important sub systems by hand. Maybe further updates are going to be easier, as the conflicts with Samsung source are already fixed then.
If you want to see a difference in performance (if any), you can try my kernel from my thread. First the one in the op (not much 3.4 stuff) and then the one from the end of my thread (much more 3.4)

I just love the f2fs, my S3 is alive again (and actually gets better quadrant scores ART on than my Nexus 5 ART off, if anyone cares)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

skim0322

Jul 4, 2011

Thank you. I will try your kernel on omnirom and report back to you on the relevant thread! Thanks and keep up the good work!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

iJo09

Aug 1, 2011
If you want to save the life of your digitizer, please don't flash any Note 2 kernel on the Galaxy S3! I have just burnt mine... so the touch screen is not working anymore :(
Got to send it to a Samsung service centre!

psndna88

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 2, 2011
Mumbai
Xiaomi Mi 11i
Are you serious?...

its a long known fact.

If you want to save the life of your digitizer, please don't flash any Note 2 kernel on the Galaxy S3! I have just burnt mine... so the touch screen is not working anymore :(
Got to send it to a Samsung service centre!

Sent from F2FS FORMATED I9300 Temasek CM11 Unofficial v41 + AGNi pureCM ANYROM v2.7 3.0.101

Mostafa Wael

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 11, 2013
Gotham

i see you forgot to mention the f2fs filesystem, i really adore it it makes my phone FLY on any ROM.
I wonder what will happen to the S3 if it got the 3.4 kernel along with the f2fs filesystem :D

sgs22012

Feb 5, 2012
va,usa
3.4 kernel i9300

greetings to all

there are a few kernel devs currently running the mint kernels on s3 and s4 I will see if they are willing to lend some assistance, I personally assist in beta testing several s4 and note 3 customs mostly based on 4.4.1/2 but am willing to lend some time and or debuging / compiling / tweaking experience to helping with making this a reality currently running my laptop on the 3.13.x kernels. Would anyone in the thread wanna have the f4fs or reiserfs / hfs+ support (later two would allow for easier transfers to apple devices for graphics and gamer types)....feel free to pm me here or G+ / FB / TW Hangouts or on any of my programming assistance pages (below)

www.wizperts.com/corey.sheldon
www.facebook.com/corey.sheldon
www.stackexchange.com / askfedoraproject.org as linuxmod and linuxmodder respectively

rqmok

Sep 2, 2012
Melbourne
I have previously ported a 3.4 kernel which booted, but did not fully boot a ROM. Now that phone is not working, so I bought a galaxy s2. I wish I could help you, but I don't own a galaxy s3 (sorry). Anyway, where can I find the source? I may still be able to assist you somehow.

LeJolly

May 29, 2013
Okay now I believe this is indeed dead :muchsadface:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys!

As you maybe know, we have the newest Android 4.4 but only a 3.0 Kernel. But we need the newer versions since Android is based of this new ones and if the gap between our version and Google's version is too big, it will take a long time to reach this. So i would say: "We need a newer kernel, let's go for it!" and i wanted to know if anybody is willing or if somebody is even able to port the 3.4 (or a newer version like 3.10 or 3.12) to our device to get better performance and to be safe to get all updates. If anybody is able and wants to help, please write it here or PM me. Also we should form a dev team to have the control over this project.
    So if anybody is willing to, I will really appreciate it. I start this project on my own and you can join in to help and contribute your knowledge to this project. I will provide more info if needed. And yes, I know that it will be difficult but it is possible to reach the target.

Greets and best regards,
    markey

If you want, have a look over here:Thread in development discussion section

Edit1: As i've seen in the poll, everybody (till now) wants the 3.4 kernel to be ported. So I have another question: Do you want me to port the 3.10 (or higher) Kernel also, after the 3.4 is running stable?
    If yes, just write at the end of your post. Thanks. :good:
    Edit2: I have decided to start porting the 3.1x+ Kernel based on dorimanx' sources first and then will try to port 3.4 cause 3.4 will have a better ability to be well integrated into Android till now and 3.10+ will take us one step further and keep us on track for the next Android versions which will be propably based on 3.8 or 3.10 Kernel.
    If you have questions what this upgrade will (roughly) bring us, have a look at my last post in this thread.
    Let the fun begin ;)

Envoyé de mon GT-I9300 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Sorry guys for the long waiting...:rolleyes:
    No it's definately not dead, I just had a lot to do since school started some weeks ago and I'm now in a grade where all my lessons and exams count to my high school degree in 2016, so a lot of organisation needed to be done.
    But now I'm back again (yes it was an 8- to 10-month-break):silly:
    I will now update my source, do some communication with some other devs and start to update our kernel to a newer version.:highfive:
    See you soon!

PS: If anybody got a spare S3 I could play with, pls PM me.
    If you are really having time now, I can give you access to my bitbucket account again.
    Till now I have upstreamed mm and block section to 3.4.0. Kernel subsystem is currently ~3.2. I need to apply about 200 more commits to bring it to 3.4 as well.

Back to work! Finally!

Is this project dead?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

Sorry guys for the long waiting...:rolleyes:
    No it's definately not dead, I just had a lot to do since school started some weeks ago and I'm now in a grade where all my lessons and exams count to my high school degree in 2016, so a lot of organisation needed to be done.
    But now I'm back again (yes it was an 8- to 10-month-break):silly:
    I will now update my source, do some communication with some other devs and start to update our kernel to a newer version.:highfive:
    See you soon!

PS: If anybody got a spare S3 I could play with, pls PM me.