Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[APP][v1.8 (+US)] SGS3 Easy UMS - Mount external microSD card as USB mass storage

OP Kopfgeldjaeger

15th June 2012, 12:26 PM   |  #21  
harise100's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 220
 
863 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Doesn't work for me either!

I'm kind of puzzeled how this can work in the first place. I thought the S3 has no UMS because Samsung didn't want to pay the license fee.

Doesn't UMS require some kind of driver/modules on the device and are they present regardless of licensing ??

Can somebody please enlighten me?
15th June 2012, 12:30 PM   |  #22  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 380
 
78 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Balls

same for me only 2 empty drives on Win7 64

Strange. Does it work with a card reader? Then we would at least know that the filesystem isn't the problem.

Do you maybe have a slightly different SGS3? I guess it could be possible that this method doesn't work on all devices.

Have you tried a phone reboot?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to Kopfgeldjaeger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2012, 12:33 PM   |  #23  
BoneMo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 293
 
1,994 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfgeldjaeger

Strange. Does it work with a card reader? Then we would at least know that the filesystem isn't the problem.

Do you maybe have a slightly different SGS3? I guess it could be possible that this method doesn't work on all devices.

Have you tried a phone reboot?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA

tried reboot, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32bit, 4 usb connectors, even wrote the usb mass storage command that this app do into shell...but nothing....so maybe you must have a good luck to make it work
and when i unmound sdcard in phone and put it to card reader...it works and is on FAT32 for being sure

a Randomly working script i would say
Last edited by BoneMo; 15th June 2012 at 12:37 PM.
15th June 2012, 12:50 PM   |  #24  
MafiaDroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 58
 
352 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Work thanks
15th June 2012, 01:07 PM   |  #25  
Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 48
 
499 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
GREAT!!! Thank you!!!!
15th June 2012, 01:10 PM   |  #26  
ArbiterGR's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 95
 
363 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Works like a charm! Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
15th June 2012, 01:18 PM   |  #27  
BoneMo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 293
 
1,994 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbiterGR

Works like a charm! Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

how ? have you unmounted sdcard in phone to make it work or something like that ?

i have tried reboot, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32bit, 4 usb connectors, even wrote the usb mass storage command that this app do into shell...but nothing
15th June 2012, 01:37 PM   |  #28  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 68
 
257 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by harise100

I'm kind of puzzeled how this can work in the first place. I thought the S3 has no UMS because Samsung didn't want to pay the license fee.

Doesn't UMS require some kind of driver/modules on the device and are they present regardless of licensing ??

No, UMS is a standard driver and it's the basis for many USB device drivers. There are no patent or licensing issues that I know of. Although FAT32 is patented by Microsoft but that's not an/the issue here.

The reason UMS is not used is to keep the filesystem available to applications. UMS denies the phone access to it's internal storage when it's in use and can cause redundant data replication across storage devices etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dehaani For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2012, 02:27 PM   |  #29  
ArbiterGR's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 95
 
363 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneMo

how ? have you unmounted sdcard in phone to make it work or something like that ?

i have tried reboot, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32bit, 4 usb connectors, even wrote the usb mass storage command that this app do into shell...but nothing

Nope nothing like that,I started the app, gave it root permissions with supersu and then i connected the device to the usb port on my pc. It recognised it and populated the external sd. That's all. I'm on windows 7 x64 with the latest samsung drivers posted around here.
15th June 2012, 02:34 PM   |  #30  
BoneMo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 293
 
1,994 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbiterGR

Nope nothing like that,I started the app, gave it root permissions with supersu and then i connected the device to the usb port on my pc. It recognised it and populated the external sd. That's all. I'm on windows 7 x64 with the latest samsung drivers posted around here.

strange...i did the same and result is..no external sd connected to pc

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy s3, mass storage, sgs3
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes