Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 52,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][v1.8 (+US)] SGS3 Easy UMS - Mount external microSD card as USB mass storage

Tip us?

sairaku
Old
Thanks Meter 26
This works on the Note2 4g. As others have pointed out, only the external SD, but that is better than nothing at all. Thanks for all the hard work!

sxg75
Old
(Last edited by sxg75; 24th February 2013 at 12:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 43
Confirmed working on Motorola Razr HD XT 925 (edit: rooted stock JB) - Following the recommended steps under Windows7-Device-Manager.

I'm using USB Mass Storage ever since on my mobile phones - since I'm always syncing and backing'up lots of stuff on my external sd, which I need when I'm offline. To bad google would kill USM

Old faithful
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxg75 View Post
To bad google would kill USM
If that's not indicated somewhere here (I've read so much on the subject I can't remember WHERE I read it), apparently this was done so that users would not corrupt the device's operation.

In my opinion it's simply so that Google doesn't have to deal with the consequences if you mess up. In any case, as we still don't have access to the internal file system, there is little that can be messed up even with simple external card file access, so as far as I'm concerned it's pure lawyerly BS, of the type "warning! you can choke to death if you put your head in this plastic bag!" or whatever the exact sentence is on plastic packaging bags.

In other words, it's not a 'bug' but a 'feature'. Let's not get started on this if you want to keep your sanity, by now you should have realized we are governed/controlled by idiots, things are getting worse (just following daily politics should convince you how removed from reality these parasites are) and there is no hope in the short term of any change. Enough said.
Galaxy Note 2 on Bell, JB 4.1.2, CirclesWidget3D, Perseus, CWM

vx2wiileo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N8000

Hey, This app works perfectly.. i'm loving it.

Currently running Android Revolution HD 4.3 custom OC Kernel

Cheers!

Kelvin-Note2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello to those facing the "SD card reporting as a CD-ROM drive, as oppose to removable storage" syndrome, after doing some searches on this topic, one contributor on another site provided a thought to consider. He said that if you go the properties of the CD ROM drive (that's supposed to be your SD card) and go the Hardware tab, you will that there is more than one drive for DVD/CD ROM drives, and to disable the one that pertains to your device. Now I have tried that but that did not work, but it is interesting to see that there are 2 of those, when they should be only one. Perhaps its a clue to reaching a solution? For those (more specifically rooted Note 2 owners) who had the app work for them, do you show 1 OR 2 DVD/CD ROM drives? I look forward to your response. Be Blessed

Old faithful
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Default Re: [APP][v1.8 (+US)] SGS3 Easy UMS - Mount external microSD card as USB mass storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin-Note2 View Post
For those (more specifically rooted Note 2 owners) who had the app work for them, do you show 1 OR 2 DVD/CD ROM drives? I look forward to your response. Be Blessed
I just checked for you and indeed I have two drives showing, but they are listed as "Removable Disks", NOT CD drives...

Of course only one is accessible (the SD Card), the other one, presumably the so-called internal SD Card (in reality the device's internal memory), is not *yet* (hopefully in the future) accessible.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Zaphord
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Error could not get path extSdCard/external_sd/sdcard1

Doesn't work with JellyBean 4.1.2 sotck ROM on my I9300.
Get the Error: could not get path ..... extSdCard/external_sd/sdcard1

Kelvin-Note2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Re: [APP][v1.8 (+US)] SGS3 Easy UMS - Mount external microSD card as USB mass storage

Old faithful:

Thanks. I believe we are on the right track then. The reason why it is showing as "CD-ROM" drive is because there are two CD/DVD drives. Now, the question becomes, how did it get there? I did some other readings and I read that if you installed the Verizon software for Note, like I believe to have done, it will cause this issue too? Thoughts anyone? Am I not on accurate? Be Blessed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphord View Post
Doesn't work with JellyBean 4.1.2 sotck ROM on my I9300.
Get the Error: could not get path ..... extSdCard/external_sd/sdcard1
Just the obvious question, are you rooted? Be Blessed

Old faithful
Old
Thanks Meter 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin-Note2 View Post
Old faithful:

Thanks. I believe we are on the right track then. The reason why it is showing as "CD-ROM" drive is because there are two CD/DVD drives. Now, the question becomes, how did it get there? I did some other readings and I read that if you installed the Verizon software for Note, like I believe to have done, it will cause this issue too? Thoughts anyone? Am I not on accurate? Be Blessed

I have a similar issue with an external hard drive of mine with a read only partition that appears as a CD. I don't know about Verizon as I'm with Bell, but that's something to look at. Hope it helps.

Kelvin-Note2
Old
Thanks Meter 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old faithful View Post
I have a similar issue with an external hard drive of mine with a read only partition that appears as a CD. I don't know about Verizon as I'm with Bell, but that's something to look at. Hope it helps.

Old faithful:

Thanks again. How did you correct your external harddrive issue? Be Blessed

Tags
galaxy s3, mass storage, sgs3