Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,422 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Wifi Band Switcher - Switch between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz (ROOT required)

Tip us?

madmack
Old
(Last edited by madmack; 10th February 2014 at 04:02 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4357

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] Wifi Band Switcher - Switch between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz (ROOT required)

Ever since Samsung updated their initial LE8 ROM, I've lost the ability to specify which Wifi band I want my phone to use. Why would I want that? Well, because if I don't manually specify 5.0 GHz at work, the connection keeps dropping forever.

Anyways, I've flashed back the older rom, reverse engineered some of sammy's removed code from that advanced wifi menu and realized that they're really only using some standard AOSP hidden APIs. So I've created an app that uses these same hidden APIs. For this app to work however, it HAS TO RUN AS A SYSTEM APP! (i.e. apk file loaded in /system/app/ ) So basically you'll need a hacked recovery (clockworkmod) and you'll need to flash the attached file. It needs to run as a system app because it is modifying what android considers "secure" android settings. And normal apk privileges aren't sufficient to change those. There is probably a cleaner way to do this but I was too lazy to dig deeper into the function all the way up to the kernel wifi driver.

Sideloading the APK won't work!

After rebooting, you'll see a new app in your apps drawer, the app is very simple really:

I've tested it on ICS and JB, seems to do the job ! Now I can finally use these JB roms at work.

Note to rom cooks: please do contact me before bundling this app with your roms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2012-09-17-155007.jpg
Views:	6883
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1334160  
Attached Files
File Type: zip wifi_band_switcher-CWM.zip - [Click for QR Code] (341.9 KB, 516 views)
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

turilo
Old
Thanks Meter 708

DONATE TO ME
Sounds good to me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

zoso28
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Has anyone else tried this? I'm surprised there aren't more replies in this thread considering this is the only app I know of that does this. Anyway, i'm about to give it a shot & see how it goes.. Won't be able to test it out until tonight as we only have 2.4GHz here at work.
CURRENT: Galaxy S5 [Towelrooted Safestrapped Xposed]; T-Mo Galaxy Note 3 on Int'l xposed; At&t Galaxy Note 3 [Xposed]

RETIRED: Galaxy Note 2 [Int'l Xposed ROM]; Galaxy S IV; Galaxy S III [Task650 JB]; LG Optimus G Pro; Galaxy Note I717; BB Bold 9900 [Hybrid 7.1] iPhone 4s [jailbroken]; Galaxy S II [AOKP]; Moto Atrix 4G [CM7 Ba2tF @ 1.3GHz]; iPhone 4S; Captivate [Serendipity]; iPhone 4; BB 9800; HTC HD2 [CM7/WP7/ICS]; BB 9000 [Hybrid]; iPhone 3GS [Jailbroken]; HTC TyTN

jj92942000
Old
Thanks Meter 1287
Just extract apk and using root explorer paste in system/app set permissions .rw-r--r-- .. done no need to reboot or flash

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
Samsung GT-I9300XXUGNB6, Omega v58, JB 4.3, Boeffla, PhilZTouch, Xposed & UltimaROM mods
Samsung GT-I9300XXUGNB6, Omega v58, JB 4.3, Boeffla, PhilZTouch, Xposed & UltimaROM mods
Samsung Mini II GT-6500D, GB 2.3.6 Root
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, JB 4.3 stock
Nexus 7 16GB KOT49H, 4.4.2 Stock, sold
GT-I9000 Elite JRO03L 4.1.1 RC12 [OFFICIAL GENUX STOCK ROM], sold

stan.s
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Works as described. I have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi. Not the prettiest thing, but it works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Colombiano80
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Just wanted to add that this worked for me as well...thanks so much! I work for a company that stricly does wifi distribution in publice venues and we're working on iHeartRadio right now and during some downtime i ran the OTA and couldn't get to any of my 5Ghz AP's. Lifesaver!

baghera1979
Old
(Last edited by baghera1979; 26th September 2012 at 03:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 281

DONATE TO ME
This may sound stupid, but how do I delete this app? Can't uninstall from app drawer or from home screen using go launcher. I didn't see any files labored as wifi switcher in the "my files" app to delete from there

I'm just not sure since this is flashed thru cwm if its just a simple delete from my files or if there's another way

madmack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4357

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by baghera1979 View Post
This may sound stupid, but how do I delete this app? Can't uninstall from app drawer or from home screen using go launcher. I didn't see any files labored as wifi switcher in the "my files" app to delete from there

I'm just not sure since this is flashed thru cwm if its just a simple delete from my files or if there's another way

use root explorer or ES file explorer (with root access) and then navigate to and delete: /system/app/WifiBandSwitcher.apk
The Following User Says Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

baghera1979
Old
Thanks Meter 281

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmack View Post
use root explorer or ES file explorer (with root access) and then navigate to and delete: /system/app/WifiBandSwitcher.apk
Thank you much

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Did that using astro file and rebooted the phone, apk is still listed in the app drawer and in system/app folder as well. Did I do something wrong?

madmack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4357

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by baghera1979 View Post
Thank you much

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Did that using astro file and rebooted the phone, apk is still listed in the app drawer and in system/app folder as well. Did I do something wrong?

Astro is root capable? I'm not sure. use ES File Explorer instead.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]