5,596,179 Members 33,773 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][JellyBean] Replace stock browser with AOSP browser

Tip us?
 
aydc
Old
(Last edited by aydc; 7th September 2012 at 08:12 PM.)
#1  
aydc's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 377
Posts: 992
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default [MOD][JellyBean] Replace stock browser with AOSP browser

(Only for stock Jelly Bean)

If you prefer the AOSP browser to Samsung's browser like me, use the attached CWM file.

Reasons why AOSP Browser is better:
- Easier to close tabs, just swipe them to the side
- Better bookmarks interface
- Adress bar not cluttered, no unnecessary buttons
- Feels faster (to me)
- Black interface, so looks nicer (to me)

Important tip 1: If after flashing the browser force closes, you need to clear browser data after rebooting.
Settings->Applications Manager->All->Browser->Clear Data

Important tip 2: If your google bookmarks disappeared, simply sync browser bookmarks again and they'll come back.

Browser is taken from CM10, so thanks to TeamHacksung.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	8344
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1309521   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	8002
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1309522   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	7218
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1309523  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CWM Browser Replacer JB.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.77 MB, 6139 views)
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to aydc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mariusdroid
Old
#2  
mariusdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 49
Posts: 376
Join Date: May 2011
Location: roma
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydc View Post
(Only for stock Jelly Bean)

If you prefer the AOSP browser to Samsung's browser like me, use the attached CWM file.

Reasons why AOSP Browser is better:
- Easier to close tabs, just swipe them to the side
- Better bookmarks interface
- Adress bar not cluttered, no unnecessary buttons
- Feels faster (to me)
- Black interface, so looks nicer (to me)

Important tip 1: If after flashing the browser force closes, you need to clear browser data after rebooting.
Settings->Applications Manager->All->Browser->Clear Data

Important tip 2: If your google bookmarks disappeared, simply sync browser bookmarks again and they'll come back.

Browser is taken from CM10, so thanks to TeamHacksung.
Will try

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
 
uncle bob
Old
#3  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Surabaya
work with JB DLI5? thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 
afilopou
Old
(Last edited by afilopou; 11th September 2012 at 07:14 PM.)
#4  
afilopou's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 493
Posts: 1,667
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
work with JB DLI5? thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
yes plays fine with dli5.just check it

Thanks OP

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 
DanOMac
Old
#5  
DanOMac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 344
Join Date: Mar 2011
Great work!!!!
Cm browser is way better than Sammy browser
Catch up apple!!! Android is leaving you behind
 
uncle bob
Old
#6  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Surabaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by afilopou View Post
yes plays fine with dli5.just check it

Thanks OP

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
awesome, but if someday i wanna back again to the normal browser, what should I do? thanks..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 
lestalegend
Old
#7  
lestalegend's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 68
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
awesome, but if someday i wanna back again to the normal browser, what should I do? thanks..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Works great

Omega rom
 
afilopou
Old
(Last edited by afilopou; 12th September 2012 at 05:24 AM.)
#8  
afilopou's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 493
Posts: 1,667
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
awesome, but if someday i wanna back again to the normal browser, what should I do? thanks..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Just use root explorer,go to /system/app and delete the browser.apk .Reboot your phone and normal browser is back

ps i didnt delete the secbrowser.apk and secbrowser.odex.I just put the browser.apk to /system/app

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to afilopou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
uncle bob
Old
#9  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Surabaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by afilopou View Post
Just use root explorer,go to /system/app and delete the browser.apk .Reboot your phone and normal browser is back

ps i didnt delete the secbrowser.apk and secbrowser.odex.I just put the browser.apk to /system/app

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
thank you very much for the tutorial

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 
aqishimie
Old
#10  
aqishimie's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 190
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Selangor
Default not working

FC on omega DLI5
My Device
Samsung Galaxy S III
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Gear
Apple iPhone 4s
Apple iPhone 5
Apple New iPad 4
NEW Samsung Galaxy Note 3


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes