Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 48,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bought 2 unlocked SG4's

Tip us?

xdafly
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Bought 2 unlocked SG4's

Received 2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Google Android 4.4 Quad-Core 1.9GHz 16GB 5" Smartphone - GSM Unlocked

Model: SGH-I537

Current phone was/is ATT version of SG3 but as far as I can tell, it's just a matter of SIM card swap and all should continue to work as normal

ATT of course can no longer push updates but plan on updating via Kies

Anything else to consider ?

xdafly
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
nobody else on forum with an unlocked SG4 Active ?

any words of wisdom, suggestions, comments on device itself or how best to deal with carrier (ATT) ?

picked also up couple Otterbox Defender cases for the phones.

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdafly View Post
nobody else on forum with an unlocked SG4 Active ?

any words of wisdom, suggestions, comments on device itself or how best to deal with carrier (ATT) ?

picked also up couple Otterbox Defender cases for the phones.
A few things:
  • The phone is not waterproof, if you submerge it in water you have a high likelihood of getting water damage. Water damage is not covered under the warranty and Samsung will reject your claim. Some people have mentioned that they will do a one-time replacement for water damage, but why risk it.
  • The bootloader is locked so you cannot flash custom ROMs. You can flash TouchWiz-based ROMs with SafeStrap, but that's it.
  • You cannot use Kies to update the phone, you have to use Odin to flash stock firmware, and stock recovery to flash OTA updates.
  • Once you update from 4.2.2 to 4.3 or 4.4.2 you cannot downgrade to a previous version of Android, the locked bootloader prevents you from doing so.

Other than that just search for answers to your questions, it's all here in the forums.

xdafly
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
The phones are already running 4.4 as that is how they were delivered. My assumption is/was that ATT doesn't or can't push any updates as the SIM is pegged to a SG3 device on their system side but that I could do home WiFI (not ATT) connected updates including apps from Google store.

At least that is how my Samsung tablets work

Perhaps too many assumptions on my part

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdafly View Post
The phones are already running 4.4 as that is how they were delivered. My assumption is/was that ATT doesn't or can't push any updates as the SIM is pegged to a SG3 device on their system side but that I could do home WiFI (not ATT) connected updates including apps from Google store.

At least that is how my Samsung tablets work

Perhaps too many assumptions on my part
If you have an AT&T sim card in the phone then you will receive AT&T updates. Also, the updates will only download over WiFi, presumably because their so large and AT&T didn't want to take up bandwidth on their towers.

xdafly
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
If you have an AT&T sim card in the phone then you will receive AT&T updates. Also, the updates will only download over WiFi, presumably because their so large and AT&T didn't want to take up bandwidth on their towers.
I just received 2 more unlocked, unrooted, ATT SGH-i537 SG4A phones, completely ATT stock image.

They are running Android 4.3 I537UCUBML2 and both find just fine the ATT update file, 444 MB using System Update.

After download, they reboot, start Update process and fail at 29 percent *Update failed* but no other diagnostics.

So, these can not be updated via Kies and can not be updated via ATT WIFI Update.

What next ? Would a manual Stock recovery update make it worse ? I have the I537UCUCNE3 file sitting on a microSD card. Just contemplating what may be best as these are still under full warranty.

Don't need root, just wanted to update to 4.4