Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 48,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock S4Active - Loses Network Until Airplane On/Off

Tip us?

Mirudus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Stock S4Active - Loses Network Until Airplane On/Off

Hey folks,

I've got a stock, unrooted Galaxy S4 Active. Recently I've been having a lot of trouble with it...

Long and short of it is, at some random, arbitrary point, it will lose all service - internet, calling, GPS, and text messaging - until I turn airplane mode on and off again. Then it immediately begins to work again, only to lose all service at some random point again. It could work fine for up to two days, or it could work for 20 minutes or so. I'm baffled.

Worth considering:
It never seems to "lose service" while actively being used, though that could simply be luck.
Sometimes GPS works, sometimes it doesn't.
It never "turns back on" on it its own - ever. Only a hard reset or an airplane mode toggle will fix it.
It doesn't SAY that it's out of service - for all intents and purposes, it looks like it's working fine. It's only when you try to USE one of the services and they don't work that you notice something's up. For this reason, I couldn't use Tasker to automatically airplane on/off based on network availability.
While it isn't working, calls to it go straight to voicemail.
After an airplane mode toggle, I immediately receive all missed texts and missed call notifications.

What I've tried:
Upgrading versions OTA via AT&T.
Downgrading versions via AT&T's files, via USB.
Factory reset.
Changing the APN (though I MAY have done this wrong/not changed it correctly, and after it didn't work any better, I removed the added APN).

If anyone can help, I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks!

Xanthos58
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Put the APN settings below to check and see

Sent from my SGH-I537 rooted, running GPE 4.4.4 ROM

spyre
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos58 View Post
Put the APN settings below to check and see

Sent from my SGH-I537 rooted, running GPE 4.4.4 ROM

Mine does the same thing as the OP. It's really really really pissing me off. Not only can you not tell till you try to do something you don't know you're missing calls and txts till you reboot. Mine is also stock running 4.4.2 OTA. Getting close to saying screw it and getting a gs5. OP, did you ever find a solution? Rebooting 15 times a day and not getting calls is getting really old.

chrism.brunner
Old
Thanks Meter 99
My s4 active does the same. ..... as well as my s3. I'm wondering if it is network related. I also have a Samsung ativ s Windows 8 phone that does that as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

pinyata
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
Mine does the same thing as the OP. It's really really really pissing me off. Not only can you not tell till you try to do something you don't know you're missing calls and txts till you reboot. Mine is also stock running 4.4.2 OTA. Getting close to saying screw it and getting a gs5. OP, did you ever find a solution? Rebooting 15 times a day and not getting calls is getting really old.
Yup, getting the exact same issue on 4.4.2 OTA but rooted so no bloatware and running the google now launcher. Fix would be great.

drake90001
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Same thing happens to me constantly in my house, I believe it has to do with low signal on LTE and it switching it HSPA.

spyre
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yah, still happening. Anyone find a solution?

chrism.brunner
Old
Thanks Meter 99
I find thay if I can connect to wifi shortly, network is back... also switching airplane mode momentarily works as well. Faster than a reboot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

camattin
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
I too was having this problem... and I suspected it was one of the xposed modules doing it. Once I disabled all of the modules, I've had no more problems.

But since some of you are saying this is happening even on your stock/non-rooted phones I don't know what to think.
Happily providing a mirror for seanzscreams' awesome Sky Note Air ROMs at http://skynote.camattin.com/!

pinyata
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by camattin View Post
I too was having this problem... and I suspected it was one of the xposed modules doing it. Once I disabled all of the modules, I've had no more problems.

But since some of you are saying this is happening even on your stock/non-rooted phones I don't know what to think.
Interesting, I also have xposed installed. Which modules did you have running? Maybe we can cross check them. I have the following:

Wanam Xposed
XPrivacy
YouTube AdAway
RootCloak
Xposed GEL Settings