Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,072 Members 46,982 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Noob question about rooting instructions.

Tip us?

xRick64x
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Noob question about rooting instructions.

I have just ordered an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 Active SGH-I537 that I am going to have activated with MetroPCS. From the model number, this apparently was an AT&T phone. I have found rooting instructions that I don't completely understand yet. My question is, if this is flashed to MetroPCS, would I still use the instructions for an AT&T phone? If so, are there any accurate instructions that you can tell me about? A video would be perfect. Also, would I want to turn off automatic software updates? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I am trying to learn.

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRick64x View Post
I have just ordered an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 Active SGH-I537 that I am going to have activated with MetroPCS. From the model number, this apparently was an AT&T phone. I have found rooting instructions that I don't completely understand yet. My question is, if this is flashed to MetroPCS, would I still use the instructions for an AT&T phone? If so, are there any accurate instructions that you can tell me about? A video would be perfect. Also, would I want to turn off automatic software updates? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I am trying to learn.
The only thing you have to do is go to towelroot.com. The instructions you found are outdated.

xRick64x
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
The only thing you have to do is go to towelroot.com. The instructions you found are outdated.
So all I have to do it go to that site on the phone, download it, and run it, and that's it?

thisisapoorusernamechoice
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRick64x View Post
So all I have to do it go to that site on the phone, download it, and run it, and that's it?
Yes it's an app, you just have to run the app, follow the instructions, afterwords install SuperSU from the play store. It couldn't be any easier.
Galaxy S4 Active i537 on stock, de-odexed 4.4.2 NE3 rooted using Geohot's towelroot
Semi-retired (still working) Pantech Burst P9070 running CYANOGENMOD FREAKING 11!
Small squadron of cheap no-brand Chinese A13 Allwinner tablets to tinker with & not worry about bricking

"We are the universe experiencing itself."