FORUMS

3D Printable Mobile Microscope? Nexus 7 Discontinued – XDA TV

The Nexus 7 2013 has been discontinued on the Google Store! That and … more

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Upgrade modem?

12th January 2015, 11:18 AM |#1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Hi. I'm currently on CM12 and I have been facing this problem(?) for a while now. Back when I was on stock 4.4.2, most of the time my phone is stuck on EDGE when I'm using my primary sim card (network A). In order to get 3G/4G signal, I have to explicitly choose a network operator. After a while, it reverts back to EDGE so I have to do that again. However, using my other sim (network B) doesn't have this problem. Now that I'm on CM12, I'm still facing the same issue. I can't use that fix since I think there's a problem with the rom itself when choosing the network. I'm thinking either this is a network error or a problem with the modem itself. I'm currently on NF1 and I'm wondering how to upgrade my modem to the latest one. Thanks!

12th January 2015, 12:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 272

More
Why switch modem if you think it's an issue with ROM?

Prerequisites to CM say nothing which modem you must have or that any of them are not good. CM don't change either bootloader, GSM or LTE modem.
CM provide RIL to communicate with modems.

QualComm based CM hasn't been able to manually search carrier since Aug 2014 https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-4902 and perhaps the decision to de-unify S4 CM can resolve this for Lollipop within a time frame of 3 months. [emoji12]

Please inform if you can find any chance log of what's fixed for different modem versions.

Bevare the Thanks Button
The Following User Says Thank You to O-T For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2015, 01:11 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-T

Why switch modem if you think it's an issue with ROM?

Prerequisites to CM say nothing which modem you must have or that any of them are not good. CM don't change either bootloader, GSM or LTE modem.
CM provide RIL to communicate with modems.

QualComm based CM hasn't been able to manually search carrier since Aug 2014 https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-4902 and perhaps the decision to de-unify S4 CM can resolve this for Lollipop within a time frame of 3 months. [emoji12]

Please inform if you can find any chance log of what's fixed for different modem versions.

Bevare the Thanks Button

As I've said, this issue is also present when I was still on touchwiz/stock rom. And as you said, CM doesn't change the modem so the issue might be with the modem itself so I'm planning on upgrading to the latest one. Problem is, I don't know how to.

Just to be clear, I'm on EDGE most of the time on Network A on both CM12 and stock touchwiz rom. On Network B, I normally get HSPA+.
Last edited by VIPNobie; 12th January 2015 at 01:18 PM.
12th January 2015, 02:58 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 233

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPNobie

As I've said, this issue is also present when I was still on touchwiz/stock rom. And as you said, CM doesn't change the modem so the issue might be with the modem itself so I'm planning on upgrading to the latest one. Problem is, I don't know how to.

Just to be clear, I'm on EDGE most of the time on Network A on both CM12 and stock touchwiz rom. On Network B, I normally get HSPA+.

You should use the modem based on the country that you are using the phone as the bands available in each country and those included in the modem differ else you may have network issues, for more info refer to this post
The Following User Says Thank You to JASONRR For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2015, 03:09 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONRR

You should use the modem based on the country that you are using the phone as the bands available in each country and those included in the modem differ else you may have network issues, for more info refer to this post

Based from this, I need the modem that works with 1800/2500/2600 bands. I'm currently on NF1 and I have no clue which other modem works with the said bands. Help please?
12th January 2015, 03:56 PM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Based from this, I need the modem that works with 1800/2500/2600 bands. I'm currently on NF1 and I have no clue which other modem works with the said bands. Help please?

Get the Switzerland one, link is in the the OP of the same ROM thread
12th January 2015, 04:01 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Get the Switzerland one, link is in the the OP of the same ROM thread

Thank you! One question though, should I flash NI1_AUT_wifi_150107.zip as well? I'm not sure if that only applies if I'm on the WizCyan rom.

Just in case something wrong happens, if I go back to the stock rom using odin, will it revert back to the original modem?
Last edited by VIPNobie; 12th January 2015 at 04:13 PM.
12th January 2015, 04:44 PM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you! One question though, should I flash NI1_AUT_wifi_150107.zip as well? I'm not sure if that only applies if I'm on the WizCyan rom.

Just in case something wrong happens, if I go back to the stock rom using odin, will it revert back to the original modem?

Yes, the zip file applies to WizCyan ROM.

If you flash firmware the modem is included so yes it will revert to the modem in the firmware
12th January 2015, 04:48 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Yes, the zip file applies to WizCyan ROM.

If you flash firmware the modem is included so yes it will revert to the modem in the firmware

Thank you so much! Will update if it works.

Edit: Successfully flashed the modem but I'm still stuck on EDGE. Oh well. At this point I don't what's the problem; is it my phone or the network?
Last edited by VIPNobie; 12th January 2015 at 05:23 PM.
14th January 2015, 09:38 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
So I managed to make it work by fiddling with the APN.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread