[Q] Upgrading S4 Active I9295 to 4.4 Kitkat

Search This thread

stefan2012

Apr 10, 2012
First of all, hi.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I9295 with android 4.2.2 and I've seen on internet that 4.4 is out, but not for all devices.
I didn't received any notification through wi-fi, i checked for updates even using kies but no result.
I just want to ask.. can I update using another 4.4 version ? (from nordic countries or germany or etc).. without carrier-locking my phone ?
Do you recommend me any official 4.4. rom that would be compatible with my phone ?
And, not at least, are there any improvements in battery on Kit Kat ? (that's the reason I want to update, my battery sucks).
Right now I have baseband I9295XXUBML3; VERSION NUMBER JDQ39.I9295XXUBML3, KERNEL VERSION 3.4.0-2015525dpi@DELL136 #1.
Please answer as soon as possible.
Thans !:)

Reactions: fredthakid

stefan2012

Apr 10, 2012
I'm still not sure.. are there any reasons to take the risk ?
I've seen a lot of people complaining about wi-fi and having to flash modem separately.. and so on.
So, it is 100% safe ? and are there any improvements which deserve the risk ?i

Kaurix

Sep 24, 2010
I'm still on 4.2.2 as well as there has been no official update for me yet. Yay for Eastern Europe.

From what I've heard 4.4 should handle the battery a little better and microSD cards a lot worse. Apparendly Android 5 (Lollipop?) will fix the SD card trouble, look a lot more like Ubuntu Touch (rumoured Q4 2013 :silly: ) and will only take a few months until it is out (rumoured Q4 2014). So you can flash twice or wait and flash once. It depends on how you use your phone, though I doubt S4A will be getting Android 5 as an official Samsung update.

The flashing guides are good enough to minimize the risk either way.

stefan2012

Apr 10, 2012
Official OTA came for this firmware.. Kies didn't find any update btw.
I'll come with an edit or something else after it finishes.

// So far so good.
Everything works like a charm, battery looks promising, can't tell until a full charge.
Love white battery indicator.
Not big modifications btw, i'd have loved if they put S5 UI...

Last edited:

mecea

Nov 10, 2014
i have a device with basically the exact kernel, baseband version and build number, but i have no OTA update, and kies don't find any update, any idea why ?

baseband > I9295XXUBML3
kernel > 3.4.0-2015525 dpi@DELL136#1
build > JDQ39.I9295XXUBML3

if i flash it with any other i9295 firmware, will my phone be carrier-locked or something? :confused: :confused:
No. The firmwares ate optimized for specific regions, but they do not lock you in to a carrier. The major difference between the different versions will be the modems and the APN settings, so you may find that you get better signal with one version as opposed to another.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in and share their experience.

fredthakid

Nov 11, 2014
Luanda
I want to download an update i saw on the sam mobile website.
So i can download and install any official firmware for i9295 on my phone, regardless the baseband, version number, etc? Right?!

My current carrier will still be working right?

Sent from my GT-I9295 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, hi.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I9295 with android 4.2.2 and I've seen on internet that 4.4 is out, but not for all devices.
    I didn't received any notification through wi-fi, i checked for updates even using kies but no result.
    I just want to ask.. can I update using another 4.4 version ? (from nordic countries or germany or etc).. without carrier-locking my phone ?
    Do you recommend me any official 4.4. rom that would be compatible with my phone ?
    And, not at least, are there any improvements in battery on Kit Kat ? (that's the reason I want to update, my battery sucks).
    Right now I have baseband I9295XXUBML3; VERSION NUMBER JDQ39.I9295XXUBML3, KERNEL VERSION 3.4.0-2015525dpi@DELL136 #1.
    Please answer as soon as possible.
    Thans !:)