4th December 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oulu
Thanks Meter: 849

557 posts
Donate to Me
More

Intorduction
MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Galaxy S4. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from external SD card. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the image above. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

DISCLAIMER: You take responsibility of your phone and what you flash into it, not me. You are warned!

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from Internal memory and MicroSD Card

And since i don't feel like ripping this stuff from AntaresOne's thread, go read it here (i'm lazy): http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...m-v28-t2864469
This is basically the same, i've done some small modifications and development to get it working on I9295.

Installation
1. Via MultiROM Manager app NOT tested on I9295, propably won't work. Don't try! (But if you do, report )
2. Manual installation
Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:
MultiROM - download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
Modified recovery - download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery or Mobile Odin app to flash the recovery.img contained inside ZIP.
Patched kernel - Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery or keep stock kernel (CM11/based ROMs with this android_kernel_samsung_jf source)

You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
Download links are in the second post.

TWRP
MultiROM TWRP can work without MultiROM installed. Obviously most MultiROM related featiures won't so steer away from them.
When formatting partitions, especially /data, do keep backups handly, even from /sdcard. Current build seems to format /sdcard alongside /data.

Credits
@Tasssadar for awesome application
@AntaresOne for jflte device tree to use as base and original thread

Known bugs
- screen timeout function leaves phone unresponsive (doesn't wake up)

Source code
Last edited by spegelius; 5th December 2014 at 07:19 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spegelius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oulu

557 posts
Donate to Me
More
Downloads
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...kk&usp=sharing

Changenotes

MultiROM

• initia release

TWRP

20141218_215324
  • both Odin flashable tar and CWM zip available
  • merged changes from Tassadar's repo, TWRP version 2.8.20
  • disabled screen timeout for now. Need to look at the code more to understand why wake up doesn't work
Last edited by spegelius; Yesterday at 07:30 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spegelius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 17

144 posts
I am surely gonna try this after I read more about it and the differences with DualBootPatcher
#GoodWork!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroZorro For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th December 2014, 07:06 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oulu

557 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroZorro

I am surely gonna try this after I read more about it and the differences with DualBootPatcher
#GoodWork!

Yes, this is quite nifty, i have CM12, CM11 and AOSP installed currently and latter two are running from my external sdcard (exfat). Granted, they are somewhat slower but for now those installations are only for testing. I ordered a miniusb to female usb adater so i can even install roms to usb stick :P. Not very handy in everyday use, but helps when you want to just test something...

Personally i use this modified TWRP quite lot now that it has f2fs and exfat support.
5th December 2014, 11:18 AM   |  #5  

144 posts
Cool
First attempt didn't work out for me....
Currently running WizCyan 4.4.2 ROM
When entering recovering mode and trying to install multirom-20141203-v30-UNOFFICIAL-jactivelte.zip from SD-card i end up with an error 7, no harm done...
Already made a nandroid backup of this rom so i think i'm gonna install patched recovery-image with Odin and after that multirom.zip through recovery.
That way i will be able to restore the Nandroid from the MultiROM menu, right?
@spegelius you say you have CM12 as primary ROM. I presume it's NOT the Dual? And it doesn't have to be patched before installing?
Last edited by ZeroZorro; 5th December 2014 at 11:24 AM.
5th December 2014, 11:35 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oulu

557 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

First attempt didn't work out for me....
Currently running WizCyan 4.4.2 ROM
When entering recovering mode and trying to install multirom-20141203-v30-UNOFFICIAL-jactivelte.zip from SD-card i end up with an error 7, no harm done...
Already made a nandroid backup of this rom so i think i'm gonna install patched recovery-image with Odin and after that multirom.zip through recovery.
That way i will be able to restore the Nandroid from the MultiROM menu, right?
@spegelius you say you have CM12 as primary ROM. I presume it's NOT the Dual? And it doesn't have to be patched before installing?

Did you install the TWRP? I haven't tried with CWM. Error 7 sounds like old recovery or something... not sure (had those problems with AOSP updater and some versions of CWM at some point).

I don't use dualboot, best not to mix it with this. Actually i think dualboot break multirom (need to flash multirom again after dualboot rom flash) and vice versa.

Haven't tried nandroid restore with MultiROM but i think it should be possible? Also if i got this right, if you restore your nandroid as an multirom installation, you'll have two instances of same rom; the main rom and the one installed from nandroid.
The Following User Says Thank You to spegelius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th December 2014, 12:03 PM   |  #7  

144 posts
Just installed TWRP with Odin and after that MultiROM and it works...cause SuperWizCyan works great i'll leave it as Primary ROM for now and will install CM12 and StockROM on my SDcard...to be continued!
5th December 2014, 12:05 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oulu

557 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Just installed TWRP with Odin and after that MultiROM and it works...cause SuperWizCyan works great i'll leave it as Primary ROM for now and will install CM12 and StockROM on my SDcard...to be continued!

Hmm , i wonder if the latest CM12 installer works with MultiROM since it has custom partition format script which allows it to detect f2fs/ext4. Make sure you have backups before trying.
The Following User Says Thank You to spegelius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th December 2014, 12:36 PM   |  #9  

144 posts
Okay, i even moved my Nandroid Backup to my PC before proceeding.....you can never be too careful!
Installing CM12 to my SD-card now.....
* I have to keep the screen 'alive' while installing CM12 with MultiROM, otherwise when the screen goes black...well i had to reset the phone....
* 2nd attempt it seems to work, no errors and after pushing the Reboot-button screen goes black again...> reset
* I can see the Boot-screen but touch-screen not working so trying to cancel Boot from Internal doesn't work so it auto-boots... >> found it ... Use Volume Buttons!
* But: i can see that CM12 is listed as 2nd ROM
* So now i have to find a way to get into the menu to choose ROM to boot

And... how do i install the GAPPS for this 2nd ROM? >> found it...you can do it within TWRP>MultiROM #cool
Also installed MultiROM manager apk hoping it would give me boot options but (obvious) it doesn't work on 9295 for now.
For testing purposes i set the 2nd ROM to boot in MultiROM setting (trough TWRP)....it seems that the black screen is a problem of TWRP, not MultiROM

Oh well... booting CM12 doesn't work for now...will post multirom_log soon
Last edited by ZeroZorro; 5th December 2014 at 12:51 PM.
5th December 2014, 01:01 PM   |  #10  

144 posts
See attached multirom_log,txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt multirom_log[1].txt - [Click for QR Code] (95.2 KB, 14 views)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
i9295, mod, multirom, recovery
Previous Thread Next Thread