[Guide] Enable Tethering/Hotspot - Samsung S4 AT&T I337 (4.3 & 4.2.2)

Search This thread

gorseelai

Jul 2, 2006
I followed the preocedure but the hotspot is still not working. am using a rooted Samsung s4 at&t 4.2.2 with a non at&t sim card. a copied d tethering file with root explorer.

I found that on the first use and every restart, you must do the following to make it work:

Go to Application Manager > All > TetheringProvision > Clear data and clear cache

Hopefully it helps!

obie94

Jun 29, 2010
It works perfectly on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 on T-Mobile network. However I have accidentally deleted the stock TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex . I truly appreciate if someone in this forum can backup and share in the forum. Thank you so much!
Here you go....

Attachments

• S4_I537_442_stock_TetheringProvision.zip
    219.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

jjegers

Nov 19, 2012
Got it to work with Cricket AT&T i337 MK2 phone

For those of you still having issues with a "verifying" message when trying to turn on the hotspot, I was able to solve my issue by following the instructions that someone else left about updating the "framework-res.apk" on my phone (I tried just the TetheringProvision.apk update and that itself didn't do it).

rollndice3

Dec 21, 2011
Changing file permissions worked.

I was able to resolve the "unfortunately settings stopped" error by correcting the permissions on the new TetheringProvision.apk to match the old one, rw-r-r, then I rebooted and was good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

This is the fix that finally worked for me. After following "tlyons1022" post about renaming all 4 tethering* files. I was still getting error, then after changing permissions to rw-r-r & rebooted i was finally able to open the hot spot in net manager via ES File Explorer.

running 4.2.2 Samsung SGH I377 build # FNC1. Thanks gmachine for the fix!!!

tlyons1022

Dec 19, 2013
plus.google.com
I now live outside the USA, and am having issues. Got my i537 unlocked by At&t before I left, no issues there. Now running on the 3 network in the UK, and I keep getting a "Mobile Data not available or Invalid SIM" message. I know someone discussed updating framework.res or something, but there isn't a file specific to NE9. Any ideas people?

yhendra

Sep 29, 2014
It works, thanks!!

This great method works fine with my S4 SGH I337 - NI1 Unlocked with T-Mobile.
I followed the process and used ES Explorer with Root Explorer enabled.
The first time the Wifi tethering launched, it said "verifying your subscription"
Hope it wouldn't go tho the operator database and charged me additional cost at the end.

jdmst77

Feb 19, 2012
Hi all,
I have the s3 from t-mobile (4.3, T999, NC2) and the S4 from at&t. I recently rooted the S3 with towelroot, SuperSu, Flashify, and got recovery. I can get thethering and even wifi calling on the s3.

The S4 is unlocked ( i337, 4.42) I just upgraded from NB1 to the NC1 as per this forum, rooted with towelroot, superSu (v1.99r4), and safestrap. No problems. Trying now to tether with my t-mobile sim. The 4.42 system/apps have 4Tethering files.

TetheringAutomation.apk
TetheringAutomation.odex

TetheringProvision.apk
TetheringProvision.odex

I tried the guide in this thread with no luck. I get the same message everyone else gets." mobile data not available or invalid SIM error"
Anyone getting any headway with this?

Thanks for everyone's input and guidance here.
Is your S3 on T-Mobile's network? Not sure what you mean by
and even wifi calling on the s3

Bubz4preZ

Oct 29, 2014
Missing Link/I Might be BLIND!

Hello, In your instructions you state to replace 2 files, TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex, yet at the bottom of the page there is only the link for the TetheringProvision.apk file you provide yet no replacement file for the TetheringProvision.odex original. I've followed your instructions and Renamed both original TetheringProvision files under system/app and copied your version of TetheringProvision.apk, rebooted, and settings crashed. I assumed it was due to the missing .odex file so i renamed that file only back to .odex, rebooted and have the same issue. Now im back at stage 1 with the original's i renamed from back to its originals and am stuck wondering where the download link is for the missing .odex file that needs to be replaced and help? IM A NOOB!

Flash_Fire

Oct 30, 2014
Change the Permissions

Hello, In your instructions you state to replace 2 files, TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex, yet at the bottom of the page there is only the link for the TetheringProvision.apk file you provide yet no replacement file for the TetheringProvision.odex original. I've followed your instructions and Renamed both original TetheringProvision files under system/app and copied your version of TetheringProvision.apk, rebooted, and settings crashed. I assumed it was due to the missing .odex file so i renamed that file only back to .odex, rebooted and have the same issue. Now im back at stage 1 with the original's i renamed from back to its originals and am stuck wondering where the download link is for the missing .odex file that needs to be replaced and help? IM A NOOB!

Somewhere in the 23 pages of this forum are instructions to change the permissions of the new file that you copied to rw-r-r.

Just use your Root explorer to locate the file (TetheringProvision.apk) and change the permissions to what they were (Owner - Read-Write, Group - Read, Other - Read). That will stop your Settings from crashing.

My tethering still doesn't work, and I am getting ready to swap my framework-res.apk file as in previous posts.

Flash_Fire

Oct 30, 2014
Bricked my Galaxy S4 PLEASE HELP.

Thank you!

I was not able to use the wifi tethering with the method in this OP since I am using an unlocked AT&T S4 with a different carrier's SIM. I kept getting "mobile data not available or SIM not provisioned".

This worked for me. I just swapped out the framework-res.apk file for the one in that link, and my tethering now works (I even got Bluetooth tethering back!).

I used safestrap to change the filename in /system/framework/ and to move the downloaded file in to replace the renamed one. Don't do it while the phone is on; not having the framework file caused by phone to crash pretty hard. Good luck!

Edit: FYI I had to log into must of my accounts (Google, Facebook, corporate email, etc) again after applying this method. I don't know if it's because I first attempted it with the phone on and everything crashed or if it's par for the course, but I wanted to mention it. Otherwise, it's working great!

I have bricked my S4 following these steps. I can't even use the stock recovery mode.

As soon as i swapped my framework-res.apk the phone rebooted and has never come up past the little AT&T Symbol. Is there any way to proceed?

How can I recover my phone now? HELP!!

Bubz4preZ

Oct 29, 2014
Thank you

Somewhere in the 23 pages of this forum are instructions to change the permissions of the new file that you copied to rw-r-r.

Just use your Root explorer to locate the file (TetheringProvision.apk) and change the permissions to what they were (Owner - Read-Write, Group - Read, Other - Read). That will stop your Settings from crashing.

My tethering still doesn't work, and I am getting ready to swap my framework-res.apk file as in previous posts.

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
I ended up dropping this method of getting the mobile hotspot to work on my sgh-i337, due to the problems I was having. I also forgot to mention in my reply that the sim is unlocked and was on the t-mobile network. I found another post here and followed the instructions to convert i337 to m919 and now my wifi tethering works flawlessly. This website is amazing for ppl like me that are willing to dig, read, and learn from some developers. I added the link if anyone sees this and wants to give it a go, but follow the instructions step by step!
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-att/general/convert-i337-to-m919-wifi-caling-t2896719

joepwpb

Feb 23, 2015
Download APK File

Disregard, I found my mistake!!! I was downloading to my PC and not ny Phone.

Sorry...

I downloaded the file at the bottom of the first post but it is a ZIP file containing 38 files and 14 folders not just one APK file as I understood the instructions.

Please advise.

Joe P

Last edited:

joepwpb@mail.com

Feb 23, 2015
Almost Finished and Got An Error

After a few noob mistakes I got through the process and it was actually easier than it first appeared. When I went to turn on the Hotspot I got that dreaded error of "Mobile data is not available or invalid SIM" and that is where I am stuck. I Googled extensively and have yet to find a solution. Can someone help?

Joe P

ShowMeMo

Apr 11, 2010
I got it to work after some tinkering. Instructions:

1) Mount /system RW (I use ES File explorer)

2) Navigate to /system/app

3) Rename a total of 4 files by adding ".bak" to the end of the filename-
a- TetheringProvision.apk.bak
b- TetheringProvision.odex.bak
c- TetheringAutomation.apk.bak
d- TetheringAutomation.odex.bak

4) Paste new TetheringProvision.apk into the /system/app directory (I cant remember whether I used the one from this thread or another, so I attached the one I used below)

5) Reboot phone. During the reboot I got the "Android is upgrading" popup with a little loading bar.

6) The first time you turn tethering on, you need to do it by going through Settings --> More Networks --> Tethering and Protable Hotspot --> Turn on Mobile Hotspot. It will give you the "Please wait while verifying" and then tell you to call AT&T to get tethering added to your plan, but just hit the OK button, and a few seconds later tethering should start. After this, turn it back off and now use the "mobile hotspot" app and you can configure network settings like wifi network name and password.

So, I'm trying to do this, but when I get to the point of copying the download into the system/app folder, it fails with a message of /system/app/tetheringprovision.apk: open failed: EROFS (Read -only file system). How do I get past this?

bladedge

Feb 18, 2015
Khimki
Hi guys!
I followed the instruction - have got rooted my i337, renamed 4 tethering* files, copied to /system/app provided new file, changed permissions, then rebooted device several times. Now, tethering (wifi hotspot) turns on after reboot, works about 15 seconds, then turns off and then I can't turn it on like before all these steps. If I reboot i337, then I can turn on tethering once more for about 15 secs.

Did anyone solve this problem?

A0425A

Nov 26, 2013
Jwhite85. I don't believe this method works with 4.4.4. I too am looking for a method that works running the att firmware and using 4.4.4. I know I could upgrade to lollipop and get it to work but I prefer KitKat. I love if someone who knows of a way to get this working on 4.4.4 would reply and point us in the right direction.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are easy steps to enable tethering/hotspot on your Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T I337.

When I was on 4.2.2 Xposed MODs that enable tethering worked fine. However, they don't work on 4.3, or at least that what I experienced.

***** You have to be ROOTED, otherwise, you will not be able to rename system files. ********

Here are very easy steps to follow. Works perfectly!

1. Go to Settings --> More --> Tab on Application Manager
    2. Go to All tab (By scrolling Vertically)
    3. Find AT&T Hot Spots and click it
    4. When App info opens, click Turn off

Now AT&T Hotspot is turned off (The above steps just to ensure that AT&T hotspot is off
    "If you don't find AT&T Hot Spots, then it means you dont have the app. That is good. Follow the below steps"

5. Use whatever app that allows you to rename system files such as ES Explorer or Script Manager ( Prefer Script Manager as ES doesn't give root permission on 4.3, until now)

6. Download the attached file and save to your phone. Know exactly where you saved it, so you can use it later on. ( I would have given credit to the person who ported the file, but i don't know to whom it belongs to. So, Thank you XXX!)

5. Browse to System/app and rename TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex . Rename them to any name that you want, or just change apk and odex to bak (This way, you can rename them back in case the steps did not work for you)

6. After you finish replacing the files, go to your folder where you saved the attached file and copy it to system/app

7. Reboot your phone.

As easy as that! Attached is a proof picture :)

Now go to your phone and enable Tethering. If a message popped up saying "There is a temporary network problem...", or any other error messages, such as call 611, don't worry, Tethering WILL BE ENABLED. Just click OK. within 5 seconds, you will see the lovely hotspot icon at the status bar :laugh:

Enjoy it :)

While this is a very safe and easy steps, however, as it goes with all MODs and system changes, i claim no responsibility if your phone is bricked or other apps started to act funny.

Good luck
    4.3 - MK2 - Not working.
    Unfortunately, Settings has Stopped Working Error.
    Tried with FoxFi and Built in WiFi HotSpot.
    Disabled the ATT HotSpots per suggestions.

i have added the LogCat for anyone that wants to see.

But, it will crash with "ActivityNotFoundException" which leads me to believe the app in not in the device. But it is.
    copied TetheringProvision.apk to /system/app/ folder. renamed the old ones. reboot.

THIS WORKS ON 4.3 MK2 JUST CONFIRMED IT WORKING!

Steps on how to get this working.

Download root explorer

Download es file explorer

Download the tetheringprovision apk
    Make sure you know where this file is.

In root explorer go to system/apps

Rename tetheringprovision.apk and tetheringprovision.odex

I renamed tetheringprovision.bakapk
    Tetheringprovision.bakodex

Next move the downloaded tetheringprovision.apk to system/apps

Restart your phone.

Open es file explorer

Click on the globe with the phone in the left hand corner

Scroll down to net manager

Then click create a hotspot network

Once you see a message hit the home button

It'll say that it can't establish a network connection or something like that and it will turn off than turn back on and establish a connection.

It will have a notification in the drop down box but don't click on that!

Open es file explorer and it should have a connection now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium
    Does this also enable bluetooth tethering that we have lost all together. Like an idiot I am already paying at&t for tethering so don't need this unless it enables bluetooth so as to use with my gear. Thanks btw and excellent work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

I have never used it as it's slow, that is why they started to offer the tethering over Wi-Fi. but it looks like it is working as showing on the attachment. Did not try it though
    Alternate solution

The method of the OP didn't work for me, but I found this wonderful article on life hacker

http://lifehacker.com/5930111/use-your-android-phone-as-a-wi-fi-hotspot-for-free

Melanie Pinola suggests that you use a third party power widget that has a mobile hotspot option to directly turn on the hotspot feature thus bypassing any menu level restrictions.

I used Power Toggles by Painless Apps linked below:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc&hl=en

This seems to be working just fine.

@ii0mini0ii This should technically also work without root but I am rooted and therefore cannot be sure.
    works on ATT I317 note 2

Thank you so much. I have been looking for a 4.3 fix everywhere. Got here thru search,and thought i would give it a try. Brilliant! I am on 4.3 rooted stock with mj4 bootloader.