Originally Posted by veryluckyguy
I have looked everywhere and collected information along the way. Yet I haven't found a guide that shows Canadian S4 owners how to sim unlock their phones. The phone I have is still at android 4.3 MK6 but with the KNOX fuse already tripped. So this procedure will trip the fuse but I think there is a workaround that can sim unlock without tripping the fuse.
Jelly Bean 4.3
Here's what I did to unlock the phone:
1. Downgrade the firmware to MDJ using ODIN. (This will trip the KNOX fuse. If you don't want it tripped, I have seen others who have downgraded only the modem.bin where the hidden menu still works.)
2. Boot directly into recovery (Vol UP + HOME + Power) and do a factory reset before booting into the system. If you don't do this, the system won't boot.
3. Use *#9090# to access the hidden menu, see this thread. I found that trying to sim unlock using this hidden menu method didn't work for my phone. This was also confirmed by another Canadian S4 user.
4. So I went on to root MDJ using saferoot as the next step requires root access. I think most Canadian S4 users are referred to the CF-Auto-Root.
5. Install and run RegionLockAway.
6. Reboot phone with other sim to verify lock is removed.
7. Go into hidden menu to renable PERSO SHA256.
8. Use ODIN to restore MK6.
I found another Canadian user at version 4.4.2 commenting the RegionLockAway didn't work in that version so you will have to downgrade to make it work. There's a thread over on the TMobile Galaxy S4 section that mentions downgrading just the modem.bin from 4.4.2 to a lower version where the hidden menu still works. Details of how to extract the modem files directly from the firmware are shown in that thread. For Canadian i337m users, I would suggest downgrading to 4.2.2 MDJ modem.bin. Then root and run RegionLockAway to unlock the phone. Return the modem back to the current 4.4.2 when everything is done. This approach seems to work for TMobile S4 users and it doesn't trip the KNOX fuse. I have never tried this so try at your own risk.
I am trying to downgrade my modem to CWM_I337VLUAMDJ to sim unlock my phone. i have downloaded atleast 4 modem files from different locations but ODIN fails all the time.
my phone is rooted.
Any help from you is higly appreciated