Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,220 Members 44,517 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How I unlocked a Bell Galaxy S4 on 4.4.2

Tip us?

xenogenesis1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post How I unlocked a Bell Galaxy S4 on 4.4.2

My brother gave me his Bell locked Galaxy S4 today, so I've spent the day trying to unlock it to use on Rogers. After much reading of posts here, I managed to get it unlocked as follows:

I am no expert, though I am experienced with rooting and such. The following steps describe what I did to unlock my phone. I am not sure if all of these steps are necessary but they did work. Since I am not an expert, there is no point asking me questions if you have any problems, since I will not be able to help. Of course, some of these steps can void warranty, and could brick your phone if done improperly. I am not responsible for anything bad that happens.

1) Download and flash stock Columbia 4.2.2 rom with Odin (i used 3.09)
2) Root with CF-Auto Root
3) Flash Clockwork Mod (I use Caboomi's img2tar for this)
4) Get rid of KNOX by "installing" DE-KNOX zip in CWM (DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V2.0)
5) Download Chainfire's RegionLock Away, install and run
6) Restart and success!
7) Finally, I flashed the current (4.4.2) firmware of the provider I switched to (Rogers), as I was having problems with the phone and some other things. This seems to be operating properly now.

Note: I was able to install 4.2.2 rom even though I was unable to downgrade to 4.3. (Fail to flash aboot like many people get) I assume this is because the 4.2.2 rom does not modify aboot. Also, Chainfire states the RegionLock Away only works for the Note 3, however many people have used it successfully on the S4 as well. It did not work for me on 4.4.2, so I'm guessing either installing 4.2.2, or removing KNOX, or both got it to work.

I hope this helps some people. If it does, thank the developers who made everything above!

Psykologikal
Old
Thanks Meter 16
What firmware where you on when u began? 4.4.2? Or earlier?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Free mobile app

veryluckyguy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I don't think KNOX affects the sim locking and unlocking. I know for sure that RegionLockAway works in 4.2.2 because I downgraded my phone to that rom and unlocked it...without doing any of the KNOX related stuff.

I think this method you are using trips the KNOX fuse when you downgrade from KitKat.

Psykologikal
Old
Thanks Meter 16
OK but how did u downgrade? I don't care about the Knox flag mine is tripped I just want to get back to 4.2 so I can use real custom Roms. Everything I have seen suggests you cannot downgrade

veryluckyguy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykologikal View Post
OK but how did u downgrade? I don't care about the Knox flag mine is tripped I just want to get back to 4.2 so I can use real custom Roms. Everything I have seen suggests you cannot downgrade

I downgraded to 4.2.2 by simply using ODIN. This process will trip the fuse. The trick in getting it to work is to clear all of the leftover files from 4.4.2 after the flash. You can't boot directly into the system after the flash. You have to go into recovery mode and do a factory reset. If you don't do this, the system wouldn't boot as what everyone is finding.

Psykologikal
Old
Thanks Meter 16
So do I need to do a nand erase or something? Or just regular flash then boot into recovery factory reset then flash again? Cuz I would love to get back to 4.2 and start flashing custom Roms agaib

veryluckyguy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykologikal View Post
So do I need to do a nand erase or something? Or just regular flash then boot into recovery factory reset then flash again? Cuz I would love to get back to 4.2 and start flashing custom Roms agaib

Just a simple factory reset should do.

cool77
Old
Thanks Meter 2
So nothing for 4.4.2 directly? We have to downgrade? Thanks