Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 47,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Has anything new come around in the last 6+ months?

Tip us?

Wittyusernametaken
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default Has anything new come around in the last 6+ months?

4.2.2 / MDL here. I'm rooted to freeze the metric ton of bloatware/greenify/xposed. Didn't get into ROMs because I'm afraid of bricking my only phone.

Been sidelined for several months with health issues, wondering if there's been any new stuff down the pipeline or if I should stay at 4.2.2/MDL? TIA.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3037
Sliced bread has come out. Jk, given the time taken for someone to answer you, nothing new has come out that's earth shaking. Other than new firmware. If everything works for you it probably isn't worth upgrading.

You're on mdl which allows you to flash a number of different roms which you aren't taking advantage of. The latest firmware, nc1, is rootable with towel root. You can flash touch wiz based roms but that doesn't seem to be an interest to you So you might consider updating to nc1 if you want the latest firmware. But many people would like to be in your shoes with mdl firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

RockRatt
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3509
If you have root and custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) and want to update to newer firmware I would suggest Sho-Stock-i V7.0 Then you w I uld have the newest firmware without having to use Safestrap and be limited to what you can do with your phone.
I would STAY AWAY from updating to the newest firmware (stock firmware) NC1 as right now you can do ANYTHING you want with your phone. That is why I suggested ShoStock to have the best of both worlds. Personally there is NOT MUCH different between your MDL 4.2.2 firmware and the newest 4.4.2 firmwares. Maybe a little smoother.

Sent From My ATT S3 i747 Dark Blue BadAss Theme

Wittyusernametaken
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Would reception be better with 4.4.2? We recently took a road trip and on a very long stretch my hubby on 4.4.2 had coverage the whole time while I had 0 service for about 1/2 of the stretch. Other areas he was pulling data fine while my phone showed no service or a G and up and down arrows which was completely new to me. It's bizarre.

Wittyusernametaken
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRatt View Post
If you have root and custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) and want to update to newer firmware I would suggest Sho-Stock-i V7.0 Then you w I uld have the newest firmware without having to use Safestrap and be limited to what you can do with your phone.
I would STAY AWAY from updating to the newest firmware (stock firmware) NC1 as right now you can do ANYTHING you want with your phone. That is why I suggested ShoStock to have the best of both worlds. Personally there is NOT MUCH different between your MDL 4.2.2 firmware and the newest 4.4.2 firmwares. Maybe a little smoother.

Sent From My ATT S3 i747 Dark Blue BadAss Theme
I don't think I have recovery? I only remember rooting, no option for twrp or cwm. Am I hosed now?