Has anything new come around in the last 6+ months?

18th July 2014, 04:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

179 posts
4.2.2 / MDL here. I'm rooted to freeze the metric ton of bloatware/greenify/xposed. Didn't get into ROMs because I'm afraid of bricking my only phone.

Been sidelined for several months with health issues, wondering if there's been any new stuff down the pipeline or if I should stay at 4.2.2/MDL? TIA.
20th July 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,396

9,938 posts
Sliced bread has come out. Jk, given the time taken for someone to answer you, nothing new has come out that's earth shaking. Other than new firmware. If everything works for you it probably isn't worth upgrading.

You're on mdl which allows you to flash a number of different roms which you aren't taking advantage of. The latest firmware, nc1, is rootable with towel root. You can flash touch wiz based roms but that doesn't seem to be an interest to you So you might consider updating to nc1 if you want the latest firmware. But many people would like to be in your shoes with mdl firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
21st July 2014, 06:55 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,585

3,912 posts
If you have root and custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) and want to update to newer firmware I would suggest Sho-Stock-i V7.0 Then you w I uld have the newest firmware without having to use Safestrap and be limited to what you can do with your phone.
I would STAY AWAY from updating to the newest firmware (stock firmware) NC1 as right now you can do ANYTHING you want with your phone. That is why I suggested ShoStock to have the best of both worlds. Personally there is NOT MUCH different between your MDL 4.2.2 firmware and the newest 4.4.2 firmwares. Maybe a little smoother.

Sent From My ATT S3 i747 Dark Blue BadAss Theme
23rd July 2014, 05:29 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
Would reception be better with 4.4.2? We recently took a road trip and on a very long stretch my hubby on 4.4.2 had coverage the whole time while I had 0 service for about 1/2 of the stretch. Other areas he was pulling data fine while my phone showed no service or a G and up and down arrows which was completely new to me. It's bizarre.
23rd July 2014, 05:33 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRatt

If you have root and custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) and want to update to newer firmware I would suggest Sho-Stock-i V7.0 Then you w I uld have the newest firmware without having to use Safestrap and be limited to what you can do with your phone.
I would STAY AWAY from updating to the newest firmware (stock firmware) NC1 as right now you can do ANYTHING you want with your phone. That is why I suggested ShoStock to have the best of both worlds. Personally there is NOT MUCH different between your MDL 4.2.2 firmware and the newest 4.4.2 firmwares. Maybe a little smoother.

Sent From My ATT S3 i747 Dark Blue BadAss Theme

I don't think I have recovery? I only remember rooting, no option for twrp or cwm. Am I hosed now?
23rd July 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor

3,912 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittyusernametaken

I don't think I have recovery? I only remember rooting, no option for twrp or cwm. Am I hosed now?

If you are still in fact on MDL then you can get TWRP or CWM recovery and flash as I stated above. You can use ShoStock-i once you have a custom recovery. First VERIFY you have MDL bootloaders. Then if you do look into "Motochopper +Loki" which will give you the custom recovery. Then flash to ShoStock-i. Then you can flash any of the modems in my thread to find which works best for your phone in your area. Maybe see which "baseband" (baseband=Modem) your husbands phone has (if it is also a i337 S4).

Sent fron I337 Red BadAss Themed ShoStock 7.0
22nd August 2014, 10:29 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
do you have a link for the Sho-Stock-i V7.0? I can't find it? Also would any version of CyanogenMod work? I can't find one that would work without me upgrading to 4.4 if my google searches are correct. Sorry for the delay in replying... health issues are a PITA.
24th August 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor

3,912 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittyusernametaken

do you have a link for the Sho-Stock-i V7.0? I can't find it? Also would any version of CyanogenMod work? I can't find one that would work without me upgrading to 4.4 if my google searches are correct. Sorry for the delay in replying... health issues are a PITA.

You do NOT need to update to run ShoStock. Just flash his newest in recovery (TWRP/ cwm/etc.) It will give you the newer firmware of 4.4.2 but NOT give you the 4.4.2 bootloader. So you can always flash back to your MDL stock firmware via odin. Like I said, the best of both worlds. Keeping the bypassed bootloader while running newer firmware. Just use ShoStock 8.1 (NOT THE SAFESTRAP VERSION)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread