5,815,265 Members 39,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Which bootloader do I have?

Tip us?
 
StevenInMichigan
Old
(Last edited by StevenInMichigan; 1st September 2014 at 12:32 AM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default [Q] Which bootloader do I have?

Is there any easy way to tell without being able to boot fully? There isn't anything immediately obvious on google. I'm trying to help out a friend, his phone doesn't get past the boot animation anymore and he doesn't know which version he has. I can boot into download/recovery modes but don't see anything that screams MF3, MK2 or any of the others.

Updates: I can get to sideload but don't know if I can install any Roms through sideload without a custom recovery. The recovery right now is stock 3e I think.
 
DeadlySin9
Old
#2  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 626
Posts: 1,251
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenInMichigan View Post
Is there any easy way to tell without being able to boot fully? There isn't anything immediately obvious on google. I'm trying to help out a friend, his phone doesn't get past the boot animation anymore and he doesn't know which version he has. I can boot into download/recovery modes but don't see anything that screams MF3, MK2 or any of the others.

Updates: I can get to sideload but don't know if I can install any Roms through sideload without a custom recovery. The recovery right now is stock 3e I think.
Can't do anything from there. If recovery doesn't say NB1 in the corner then it's something before that. Only other way is to just try and flash only part of each one through Odin.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
StevenInMichigan
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9 View Post
Can't do anything from there. If recovery doesn't say NB1 in the corner then it's something before that. Only other way is to just try and flash only part of each one through Odin.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE
OK well it isn't nb1 so that's good I guess. Which part should I be flashing in odin? I can brick it by flashing an older version through Odin than is currently on there, can't I?
 
jd1639
Old
#4  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Posts: 9,876
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenInMichigan View Post
OK well it isn't nb1 so that's good I guess. Which part should I be flashing in odin? I can brick it by flashing an older version through Odin than is currently on there, can't I?
no, you can't brick. Odin will just fail

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
StevenInMichigan
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
no, you can't brick. Odin will just fail

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Excellent to hear. Guess I'll just start with the oldest I can get and work my way newer.
 
jd1639
Old
#6  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Posts: 9,876
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenInMichigan View Post
Excellent to hear. Guess I'll just start with the oldest I can get and work my way newer.
Has your friend ever had a custom recovery on, twrp or cwm? Or flashed any custom roms?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
StevenInMichigan
Old
(Last edited by StevenInMichigan; 1st September 2014 at 03:15 AM.)
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Has your friend ever had a custom recovery on, twrp or cwm? Or flashed any custom roms?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
He was rooted at one point and then unrooted. Never any custom roms/recoveries. The phone was working after he unrooted it but for some reason will no longer pass the boot animation.

He was on android 4.3 so does that only correspond to MK2? As far as I can tell it does.
 
jd1639
Old
#8  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Posts: 9,876
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenInMichigan View Post
He was rooted at one point and then unrooted. Never any custom roms. The phone was working after he unrooted it but for some reason will no longer pass the boot animation.
Do you know if he took any ota updates? My opinion is you should just flash the nb1 tar file in Odin. It's doesn't sound like he is still on mdl firmware.Which would be the only reason he'd not want to go to nb1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
StevenInMichigan
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Do you know if he took any ota updates? My opinion is you should just flash the nb1 tar file in Odin. It's doesn't sound like he is still on mdl firmware.Which would be the only reason he'd not want to go to nb1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
If my goal is to get CM or any other aosp based rom on the phone will nb1 be any more restrictive than MK2? I haven't found anything breaking the differences between MKx/Nxx down yet.
 
jd1639
Old
#10  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Posts: 9,876
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenInMichigan View Post
If my goal is to get CM or any other aosp based rom on the phone will nb1 be any more restrictive than MK2? I haven't found anything breaking the differences between MKx/Nxx down yet.
If he's not on mdl you're not going to get cm or any aosp rom. Nb1 is no more restrictive than mf3, or mk2. In any case you'll have to use safestrap and only touch wiz based roms.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes