Question [Q] Lock Screen Issue, Remove Safe Strap, and Mobile Hotspot

OP Monkeymo13

29th August 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
Hi,

About two days ago I posted a forum topic about upgrading a relative's AT&T S4 here in Canada (Rogers Wireless). After a while, I was finally able to upgrade the bloody phone to 4.4 from 4.3 by following these two threads: I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM & I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip and
I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip & I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM(4/24/2014)

However I now have a problem with the Lock Screen Options, Removing Safestrap, and the Mobile Hotspot. First, when I go to set a PIN for the lockscreen, I only have the two options Swipe and PIN (which doesn't work at all but is an available option) while the rest have this message under them "disabled by administrator encryption policy, or credential storage". I've tried googling a fix but none of the fixes seem to work. It is said in the first thread posted above, that the MK2 bootloader users will experience a lockscreen settings issue but I can't apply the other bootloader provided that resolves the issue as it is stated that it may cause a hardbrick to the phone since I'm on the NC1 bootloader. I'm not sure what can fix the lock screen problem.

My second problem is removing Safestrap. Stated in the second thread above, there is a known issue that Safestrap will force close after updating to NC1, but Safestrap will continue to function normally after. I tried the method of manually uninstalling it by using ES File Explorer and tried deleting the safestrap folder under system/etc/ and the e2fsck file under system/bin/e2fsck, but I get an error that those files/folders can't be deleted even though I gave ES File Explorer root permission.

My third and final problem is the Mobile Hotspot that comes with the phone from AT&T. I tried to run the mobile hotspot today, but I get a message saying that Mobile data not available or Invalid SIM. I'm assuming since this is an AT&T Phone and AT&T is using their own software to override the System Default Hotspot Tether program, It doesn't let you run it without having a AT&T SIM. Is there someway to restore the System Default one that Samsung ships with it's phones and remove or disable the AT&T one?

Thanks.
Last edited by Monkeymo13; 30th August 2014 at 12:02 AM.
1st September 2014, 06:48 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
Bump?
1st September 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #3  
Flag MA
Thanks Meter: 1,424

812 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeymo13

Hi,

About two days ago I posted a forum topic about upgrading a relative's AT&T S4 here in Canada (Rogers Wireless). After a while, I was finally able to upgrade the bloody phone to 4.4 from 4.3 by following these two threads: I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM & I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip and
I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip & I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM(4/24/2014)

However I now have a problem with the Lock Screen Options, Removing Safestrap, and the Mobile Hotspot. First, when I go to set a PIN for the lockscreen, I only have the two options Swipe and PIN (which doesn't work at all but is an available option) while the rest have this message under them "disabled by administrator encryption policy, or credential storage". I've tried googling a fix but none of the fixes seem to work. It is said in the first thread posted above, that the MK2 bootloader users will experience a lockscreen settings issue but I can't apply the other bootloader provided that resolves the issue as it is stated that it may cause a hardbrick to the phone since I'm on the NC1 bootloader. I'm not sure what can fix the lock screen problem.

My second problem is removing Safestrap. Stated in the second thread above, there is a known issue that Safestrap will force close after updating to NC1, but Safestrap will continue to function normally after. I tried the method of manually uninstalling it by using ES File Explorer and tried deleting the safestrap folder under system/etc/ and the e2fsck file under system/bin/e2fsck, but I get an error that those files/folders can't be deleted even though I gave ES File Explorer root permission.

My third and final problem is the Mobile Hotspot that comes with the phone from AT&T. I tried to run the mobile hotspot today, but I get a message saying that Mobile data not available or Invalid SIM. I'm assuming since this is an AT&T Phone and AT&T is using their own software to override the System Default Hotspot Tether program, It doesn't let you run it without having a AT&T SIM. Is there someway to restore the System Default one that Samsung ships with it's phones and remove or disable the AT&T one?

Thanks.

The manual method of removing ss is only for older versions, but good try. (I tried the same thing, myself)

Given the lockscreen and safestrap issues, rather than try and troubleshoot, I recommend starting fresh. It will be easier than troubleshooting. I'm not sure what method you used in the first place, but I've never seen safestrap fc after initial install. Try these steps and see if you have better luck... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51130818
***Note - The settings for safestrap are stored in the TWRP folder on your extsdcard. To get get the clean install, you will want to delete that folder before odin back to stock. (If you have any backups stored in there, you'll want to copy them out first.)

As for the hotspot issue, I am not in your situation (ATT phone on another carrier), so I cannot verify if these will work, but they sound good...
1. Do nothing. Maybe Odin back to stock fixed issue
2. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5#post53509265
3. Following your own advice of moving off ATT software, flash one of the roms in post 2 here that are i9505 based (or Maple Leaf, the Canadian based ROM)... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53758259
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread