Double check before I root

2nd July 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 22

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmankc

Oh, btw--check out GEOHOT's Towelroot thread in General for NC1. I knew I forgot one. That was the recent method I was thinking of. Not sure which of threads are best for you--depends what you want to do.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

HaHa posted at same time.

I just towelrooted. It worked! I was watching this video http://gs5.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ro...-flat-0155617/ and I did it while I Was watching the video. On my device, it did not even reboot - i just said "should be rooted" so I loaded a root checker and sure enough, it is rooted! took all of about 8 seconds.

Now, on to a rom.

I'm confused now. Why can I not use CM? I read about SafeStrap and I understand it's sort of a dual boot setup - I get that. So, in a sense, I'm not really installing FRESH, a new rom - at least not in the sense that you format your hard disk and install a new OS. However, what ARE my choices in roms? I know the whiz touch, and now the golden eye, plus the google modified - but what else? I want something cut down, simple and battery friendly. I'm not a super power user and I don't require much. Actually, battery life is the most important thing to me.

This is my business phone - I use Gmail, SMS, maybe take a few pictures - and I listen to podcasts. very basic user. Advice?
Last edited by burgertime78; 2nd July 2014 at 01:16 AM.
2nd July 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #12  
Flag Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,817

7,519 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgertime78

I just towelrooted. It worked! I was watching this video http://gs5.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ro...-flat-0155617/ and I did it while I Was watching the video. On my device, it did not even reboot - i just said "should be rooted" so I loaded a root checker and sure enough, it is rooted! took all of about 8 seconds.

Now, on to a rom.

I'm confused now. Why can I not use CM? I read about SafeStrap and I understand it's sort of a dual boot setup - I get that. So, in a sense, I'm not really installing FRESH, a new rom - at least not in the sense that you format your hard disk and install a new OS. However, what ARE my choices in roms? I know the whiz touch, and now the golden eye, plus the google modified - but what else? I want something cut down, simple and battery friendly. I'm not a super power user and I don't require much. Actually, battery life is the most important thing to me.

This is my business phone - I use Gmail, SMS, maybe take a few pictures - and I listen to podcasts. very basic user. Advice?

MDL builds have an exploit that allows the kernel to flash. That is loki-doki. Bypasses the Sammy security check to allow this. There is no exploit yet for post MDL builds. Hence you can only flash stock Touch Wiz kernels, thus only roms that have them. So, no aosp based roms. In one of the threads in General that talk about MK2/NC1 etc is a list of roms for you. I forget the technical coding side of SafeStrap. But, it puts roms in System bypassing the bootloader. But, no way of doing that with aosp roms yet.

I am old and don't retain things much anymore if they are not very important to me. So, although I have read up on this stuff, and have a "45 year old" Engineering Degree, I don't need SafeStrap having the MDL bootloader. So, don't remember all that I have read. But, what I said is the basics of it.

Your roms need to have SafeStrap option in the rom thread's OP page. If not listed, it won't work. Having said all that things like Towelroot are new and more options may come along.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread